News   Apr 16, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     7 

Ottawa Transit Developments

Congratulations to Ottawa for finally becoming a real city.
Various people I spoke to said this was a decade and more late coming and others saying they look forward to all the next phases.

On Cycles I spoke with who happen to be a construction project manager, but not for this line who happens to live a 15 minute walk from his house to the Bayview Station. He said this lateness in open was pare for course and will be biking not only to the station now, but also to his office that is a 15 minute walk away as well from a station.

They were handing out various types of maps including the plan change starting Oct.

Gee!! a 10 second search found this MAPS and no clue what search means to some, other than being spoon feed.

Sept 14
A few of the videos I shot on opening day out of order

Sounds a bit rough running. Bit of wheel flat spot?
It's pretty quiet and smooth except around Hurdman where it makes 3 fairly sharp curves. I'd say that part is worse than the squeally turn at Union. Hurdman seems to be the only place where only an LRV could make the turns, far too sharp for heavy rolling stock at any decent speed. Other than that I'd say it's smoother than the TTC subway, though I haven't ridden the new section out to Vaughn. Noise wise it seems slightly louder underground I think than the TTC, but it's very quiet above ground.

Last edited:
Is it really called Line 1? I thought it was the Confederation Line, or logically, the C-Line. The other line could be the Trillium Line, or T-Line. I thought Toronto was a bit stupid for numbering 4 lines - when they already had names that could be abbreviated by 1 letter. But Ottawa with only 2 lines seems even worse.

Given that Ottawa is a bilingual city, I would say that this would be good move to avoid cluttering up the signage with English and French translations.

It's not, because PTC is not a signal system. It is a methodology used to try and enforce safe operation of trains, and only within certain parameters.

CBTC is a manner of making a signal system work.
It's useful to explain to laypeople about CBTC systems' ability to assist on PTC-like responsibilities.

In other words:
"The nature of CBTC means adding PTC-like methodologies is software-based features built into CBTC systems in trains."
"Thusly, existing CBTC systems tend to help automate several operations normally handled by PTC."

(or something like that -- it kind of blurs the lines because a system/mechanism and methodology/responsibilities is kind of integrated in today's software-driven electronics world. For the non-tech person, imagine apps (software) on an iPhone (system). Here, it is metaphorically like "ATC" and/or "PTC" are apps/features included in a "CBTC powered system". A gross oversimplification, but the easiest one-sentence simplification for laypeople)

Right?

(For other readers, the acronym Pandora Box is opened in 2015 thread: New GO Train Control+Signalling (PTC, CBTC, ETC) -- Safety & Subway-Like Frequency)

Last edited:
I really don't get this sentiment. So cities without rail aren't "real"?

This coming from a guy who lives in Mississauga.

Having a "subway" though does definitely feel big cityish. It's something Ottawans always had to go to Toronto or Montreal or New York for before

Back