News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

All currently planned extensions are grade separated.

But the nice thing about using low floor LRTs that further extensions could be non-grade separated.

Which actually isn't such a bad thing, because that would really start getting into low-density areas where only a "streetcar style" LRT would make any sense.

See the multi-billion dollar mostly elevated expansion planned for Stage 3 in Kanata and Stittsville. And the fully grade separated extension to the East right to the edge of development. There will be no street running. Ever.

The core portions need the frequencies from the branches. They can't risk the fringes having issues. And Tlthere's probably an element of regional jealousy where the suburbs won't tolerate getting non-grade separated low frequency streetcars while the rest of the city gets a light metro.

We were AMAZED and pleasantly surprised by how nice Ottawa's LRT is. Calling it an LRT is doing it an injustice because it really does feel like a metro similar to Montreal's. Trains were running every 4 minutes most of the day without a hitch.

By the way, making this video and releasing the same day the system opened was no small feat on me and my partner's parts, so enjoy the video, and please consider sharing it!

It's really a Light Metro system but of course they have to call it LRT to confused everyone. Thanks for the great video.

It seems all people want is grade-separated Transit. Do you know if future extensions will also be grade-separated.?

Is it really called Line 1? I thought it was the Confederation Line, or logically, the C-Line. The other line could be the Trillium Line, or T-Line. I thought Toronto was a bit stupid for numbering 4 lines - when they already had names that could be abbreviated by 1 letter. But Ottawa with only 2 lines seems even worse.

They decided later that numbers were better for wayfinding. Thus our Line 2 just like yours is a number 2 in a green circle, Line 1 is in a red circle. The names Trillium and Confederation seem to never appear in wayfinding, but are still used by OC Transpo. I wouldn't be surprised if we used the same consultant as the TTC, there's definite similarities in the look and feel of the signage.

Last edited:
I believe the Ottawa line uses PTC, as will the Eglinton line.

Screen doors could be used. Just not worth it on this line
They were actually part of the original EA, but value engineered out. Also by choosing the Alstoms, it no longer works because the door positions are not identical backwards and forwards

Trains stop running at 11 pm Friday and started at regular hours on Sat and stop for the VIP event. Started backup once the VIP train left the station. Headway was 4 minutes.

The VIP train left Bayview at 11:30 and follow by an other one. All trains stop running until the VIP event was over.

Ran into a few folks from TO I know of all things. People came from Montreal of other non Ottawa area to check the system out.

Artwork is nice and welcome

Ottawa does use PTC, but not like TTC ones.

Had great issues with the Presto readers using my day pass and not the only one. Blair Station had a huge line up on the bridge from the mall and the buses due to the fare machines and buying tickets or pass. Stations I did see had no line up or issues like Blair.

The trains has great acceleration and moving at top speeds in matter of seconds. Its the fastest of any LRT I been on. Don't like the car same as I did 7 years ago. Slopping from both direction for the seat(s) over the wheel to the point they are higher than any I have seen to date.

Turn out was lighter than expecting. Door open at 1:45 in place of 2 pm with cars in service already.

Monday will be the real test and to see what impact will take place for the existing bus routes that will cease Oct as well.

Very positive review by all, including me. CBC wanted to interview a number of times since I ran into the crews a few times along the line, but pass on it.

All I got from Ottawa was a Tee Shirt, pen and an LRT cut out.

LRT's early champions mark bittersweet victory
'Is this Ottawa?' Confederation Line launches capital into big-city status
LRT now open to the public
First riders use Ottawa's new LRT system

Trains stop running at 11 pm Friday and started at regular hours on Sat and stop for the VIP event. Started backup once the VIP train left the station. Headway was 4 minutes.

The VIP train left Bayview at 11:30 and follow by an other one. All trains stop running until the VIP event was over.

Ran into a few folks from TO I know of all things. People came from Montreal of other non Ottawa area to check the system out.

Artwork is nice and welcome

Ottawa does use PTC, but not like TTC ones.

Had great issues with the Presto readers using my day pass and not the only one. Blair Station had a huge line up on the bridge from the mall and the buses due to the fare machines and buying tickets or pass. Stations I did see had no line up or issues like Blair.

The trains has great acceleration and moving at top speeds in matter of seconds. Its the fastest of any LRT I been on. Don't like the car same as I did 7 years ago. Slopping from both direction for the seat(s) over the wheel to the point they are higher than any I have seen to date.

Turn out was lighter than expecting. Door open at 1:45 in place of 2 pm with cars in service already.

Monday will be the real test and to see what impact will take place for the existing bus routes that will cease Oct as well.

Very positive review by all, including me. CBC wanted to interview a number of times since I ran into the crews a few times along the line, but pass on it.

All I got from Ottawa was a Tee Shirt, pen and an LRT cut out.

LRT's early champions mark bittersweet victory
'Is this Ottawa?' Confederation Line launches capital into big-city status
LRT now open to the public
First riders use Ottawa's new LRT system
If you were trying to scan your daypass on the presto reader, it wouldn't work, you have to use the optical reader

If you were trying to scan your daypass on the presto reader, it wouldn't work, you have to use the optical reader
The optical reader was the issue. Even the info people had problems to get it to work not only for me and others, that they used their pass to let us in.

Friday I saw the new shelter that was close off and wrap up sign for Bayview in the afternoon, with the current stop still in service with the route sign. Saw it about 8 pm again, and the current stop route sign was gone and the new one in service along with the unwrap new route sign. This was causing both riders and drivers issues that you had riders at both areas and drivers stopping at both areas. Some drivers clue in quickly and were stopping at the new stop causing riders to run to the the bus. Riders standing at the new stop were flagging buses down who stop at the old one.

Lots of riders trying to get to Line 2 were confused, as they didn't know how to get to it, as well trying to get into the close Line 1 station.

Does anyone have a map showing just the O-train lines and BRT lines in Ottawa.

Either its a full system map, or like future planning map.

I'm surprised an RT only map doesnt exist.

EDIT: I found one, but without the BRT lines

b2ap3_large_1mapjpg.jpg

According to this link.
  • Every 5 minutes or less at rush hour
  • Very frequently throughout the day
  • Every 15 minutes after midnight
Compared with Toronto's subway service (and future Crosstown LRT) every 5 minutes throughout the day, half that during the rush hours.

A better schedule is here. It's 5 minutes throughout the day until 9:30 pm on weekdays, and rush hour frequency is actually 4 minutes though they don't say that here. https://www.octranspo.com/en/news/article/welcome-aboard/

Last edited:
Does anyone have a map showing just the O-train lines and BRT lines in Ottawa.

Either its a full system map, or like future planning map.

I'm surprised an RT only map doesnt exist.

EDIT: I found one, but without the BRT lines

b2ap3_large_1mapjpg.jpg
Full map is here https://www.octranspo.com/en/ready-for-rail/transforming-the-service/system-map-zoom/

PDF https://www.octranspo.com/images/files/ready4rail/full_map.pdf

There is an official rapid transit map, but OC Transpo only has the old pre line 1 up still on the website.

Last edited:
According to this link.
  • Every 5 minutes or less at rush hour
  • Very frequently throughout the day
  • Every 15 minutes after midnight
Compared with Toronto's subway service (and future Crosstown LRT) every 5 minutes throughout the day, half that during the rush hours.
The line definitely needs to be this frequent. In rush hour, there are like 10 buses passing by every minute on Albert/Slater with 20 different routes. Buses lined up try to get to the stop to pick up whoever wants on while the exclusive bus lanes are jammed up with buses getting into the core. There is no corridor in the TTC that sees that many buses. I'm glad for Ottawa that they finally achieved big city transit status.The Confederation Line will definitely help Ottawa grow it's off peak non-commuter network too.

Back