News   Apr 25, 2024
 341     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

So minor delay during rush hour, but for a new and non mechanical reason, apparently somebody puked on a train. Although I wonder if countdown timers make people more antsy. I was at Hurdman, had just missed a train when I got to the platform, and the timer jumped up to 9 minutes, but then fell back down as they moved things around and a train arrived maybe 5 minutes later. In the end, I think the whole delay for me was all of 1 minute, but as soon as the countdown timer goes up, twitter starts screaming.

Edit: While there may have been puking involved, apparently the real cause of the delay was a switch problem.

Last edited:
They used to have signs for ot in the TTC but at some point, they decided to remove them as the legal department found some problem with it.

You're not supposed to walk on TTC escalators; it's a tripping/falling hazard both to yourself and to others that you might be pushing past. There is far more risk falling on an escalator than on stairs; those 100hp motors will chew through nearly anything.

Any sign they put up would be stand left, stand right.

You're not supposed to walk on TTC escalators; it's a tripping/falling hazard both to yourself and to others that you might be pushing past. There is far more risk falling on an escalator than on stairs; those 100hp motors will chew through nearly anything.

Any sign they put up would be stand left, stand right.

The TTC removed the "stand right, walk left" signage, years ago.

Nothing about sitting...
escalator-600x478.jpg

From link.

...or flying...
Its-a-bird.-Its-a-plane.-Its-Escalator-Superman.gif

Lol they sure arent doing a good sales pitch

Charter said removing the hybrid buses allows OC Transpo to cancel their maintenance contract and avoid a major battery overhaul that was coming soon.

"It's an expensive proposition to replace the batteries for a single bus, let alone the whole fleet," he said.

The buses have been an expensive acquisition from the start, each costing $150,000 more than a standard model with a similar capacity.

Then the city was hit with a $7-million bill to replace batteries in 2012. OC Transpo even considered retrofitting the vehicles to make them diesel-only.

I was real surprised that OC order the Orion VII given all the issues with it, especially the number of them.

Seen them in person as they where hitting the road was head shaking.

It was the same thing when Mississauga order more after saying they would never get an another Orion buses after the mess they went through with the first batch off the production line and being the first to get them. The new one were way better than the first one as well the ones TTC had.

A few may go some where, but the rest could see the scrap yard sooner than later

I was real surprised that OC order the Orion VII given all the issues with it, especially the number of them.

Seen them in person as they where hitting the road was head shaking.

It was the same thing when Mississauga order more after saying they would never get an another Orion buses after the mess they went through with the first batch off the production line and being the first to get them. The new one were way better than the first one as well the ones TTC had.

A few may go some where, but the rest could see the scrap yard sooner than later

OC Transpo was still heavily into Orion in those days, we've had every single model, and Orions of all sorts made up most of the fleet in the late 90s and 2000s

OC Transpo was still heavily into Orion in those days, we've had every single model, and Orions of all sorts made up most of the fleet in the late 90s and 2000s
They had gone through some pretty disappointing orders with New Flyer and Novabus in the decade before.. the Orion VI's were probably the second best bus in the fleet after the D40i at that point.

On the LRT front, things aren't quite as melodramatic as Twitter makes out. There hasn't been any mass chaos events like the first week but still the rate of minor delays due to train issues is still fairly high
I’d like to see reliability statistics comparisons between Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo.

We hear very little about KW ION LRT problems, so I’m pretty curious how the situation compares.

This data can be important for other LRT projects beginning construction such as Finch, Hamilton, Hurontario... and even Ottawa Stage 2, too.

Last edited:

Back