News   Apr 24, 2024
 636     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 833     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 550     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

15 to 30 minute headways? You haven't taken any Transitway buses during rush hour, have you?
The problem with the transitway was that not every bus would take me where you needed to go.

For instance, I would have rather waited for the route 44 to show up than to take a 97 to Hurdman... and then wait for the 44.

So week 2, while not flawless, is definitely better than week 1. Dwell times are better, people aren't rushing the doors, and the "walk left, stand right" rule is really sinking in.

What people in Ottawa still aren't used to are fare paid zones, so lots of people still tap when boarding the bus at transfer stations slowing boarding. That's a hard habit to change, especially since forgetting to tap previously meant a large fine, and the flawed setup at Tunney's we're pretty much stuck with for the next 6 years. I transfer at Hurdman though, so it's smooth sailing for me in comparison

So week 2, while not flawless, is definitely better than week 1.

One of the universities is on break. That's helped reduce peak loads I believe. One thing Ottawa could really do is push the universities to have later starts. Ask them to have bulk of classes start at 9. That would have a material impact on their network.

One of the universities is on break. That's helped reduce peak loads I believe. One thing Ottawa could really do is push the universities to have later starts. Ask them to have bulk of classes start at 9. That would have a material impact on their network.

They are adding a 14th train into the mix next week, so we'll see.

So week 2, while not flawless, is definitely better than week 1. Dwell times are better, people aren't rushing the doors, and the "walk left, stand right" rule is really sinking in.

This is really good news. My biggest pet peeve was this when taking the train 2 weeks after opening.

So these appeared at Lyon today, and will apparently be at all stations soon. Also we had 3 million riders in the first month, which is about the same monthly ridership as San Diego on their whole network. Not bad for a city of a million.

Edit: The LA Red line actually carries 3.3 million a month for comparison, and Miami's whole system only carries 1.5 million.

These decals seem bigger than similar ones in Montreal so it makes the skinny platform at Lyon look even more narrow than it is.

Last edited:
I don't think subway will stick long term, not because the whole "it's light rail" thing, but because the system is mostly above ground. I could see the downtown tunnel being referred to as the "queen street subway" though.

Here's a photo of the New York City's subway.
15SNOWSTORM-hp-slide-55A3-superJumbo.jpg

What!! The "subway" can be above ground. Oh, dear! Guess they can still call it a "subway".

From link.

Here's a photo of the New York City's subway.
15SNOWSTORM-hp-slide-55A3-superJumbo.jpg

What!! The "subway" can be above ground. Oh, dear! Guess they can still call it a "subway".

From link.

That's not what I meant. The skytrain goes underground, for extensive portions even, but people tend not to call it a subway, just Skytrain. I don't see subway taking on as a term here, in fact if history is any indication eventually people will just call it the OTrain, just like they dropped all other names for the Trillium line. OC Transpo is strongly marketing it as such, and when it was first introduced the Trillium Line was also referred to as light rail, nobody calls it anything other then the OTrain now, at least in English (francophones often call it the OTrain as well, but with the English prononciation)

Last edited:

Back