News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 511     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

Last edited:
As luck would have it, I had to drive to Ottawa today. Holy crap, you guys have a lot of traffic. It took me 30 minutes to get from 416 to the airport at 5:00 in the afternoon. This city needs some serious transit improvements.

Holy crap, you guys have a lot of traffic. It took me 30 minutes to get from 416 to the airport at 5:00 in the afternoon.
That sounds pretty fast for such a long distance to me. Which way, down Fallowfield? Google says right now that's 20 minutes from the 416 at midnight ... 18 km. An extra 10 minutes in rush-hour sounds pretty calm compared to 905 at 5 pm ... I've taken that long just to get a couple of km from 407 to Steeles!

As luck would have it, I had to drive to Ottawa today. Holy crap, you guys have a lot of traffic. It took me 30 minutes to get from 416 to the airport at 5:00 in the afternoon. This city needs some serious transit improvements.

This week sometime we officially pass the 1 000 000 mark on the Ontario side of the river. 10 years ago Ottawa's traffic seemed mild compared to the GTA, but within the past few years we've crossed some sort of big city threshold and are starting to get big city issues. It's now not uncommon to get stuck in traffic on the 417 at any time of the day, even weekends which was unheard of not that long ago. The road network hasn't changed much in the past 10 years, with a lot of the investment going to rail transit, but of course we're still waiting on that to open, and we need another 7 years before stage 2 completes and we get decent coverage. Stage 1 on it's own is a rump of a system, but you have to start somewhere.

While we wait seemingly forever for it to open, in the meantime the Otrain fans site made another station overview video

Watching this, I am a bit envious. Ottawa now. I can see Eglinton looking this impressive. Would love to see a train glide into an underground station or stop at an above ground stop. This looks like something right out of Europe. How cool. Somehow American on road LRT (Houston, Phoenix, Minneapolis) doesn’t look this well built. I suppose it’s the stations that make the difference. They are a step above on-street stops.

Watching this, I am a bit envious. Ottawa now. I can see Eglinton looking this impressive. Would love to see a train glide into an underground station or stop at an above ground stop. This looks like something right out of Europe. How cool. Somehow American on road LRT (Houston, Phoenix, Minneapolis) doesn’t look this well built. I suppose it’s the stations that make the difference. They are a step above on-street stops.

Not just the stations, the fact that its fully 100% grade separated from the road gives it a step above most LRTs. Its basically a "metro" with LRT trains.

Not just the stations, the fact that its fully 100% grade separated from the road gives it a step above most LRTs. Its basically a "metro" with LRT trains.

A pretty rare setup, shared only by the Sevilla Metro in Spain and Vienna's U6 as far as I know.

And one more snapshot vid

In case you're wondering what the work at Tunney's station is, they are installing this art piece

tunney-s-pasture-gradient-space-art.png

Last edited:

Besides the stations, another difference is operation.

Watch this video from Seattle. Notice how the train slows down well before entering the station and rings the bell, as though it were running in mixed traffic operation despite running totally grade separated here.

Compare with Ottawa, which like Toronto or Montreal only slows down upon entering the station, no warning bells.

I thought I remembered them saying that they would be using the bells (like they do on the Trillium Line) because of regulations, but it's been a pretty long time since I've heard one of them use their bells.

I thought I remembered them saying that they would be using the bells (like they do on the Trillium Line) because of regulations, but it's been a pretty long time since I've heard one of them use their bells.

The city itself apparently has full control of the confed line regulations, like the TTC does with the subway.

For the fifth (and hopefully final) date: mid August. Needless to say, fool me once, shame on the, fool me 5 times, well nobody believe anything you say anymore
Seems ironic that KW is opening first with Bombardier equipment, after Metrolinx paid huge penalties to cancel 102 of the Bombardier cars, and instead get 61 (longer) much more expensive Alstom cars. And it's the very same Alstom cars that are holding up Ottawa.

Back