News   Apr 19, 2024
 39     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 519     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Ottawa Transit Developments

^ Has the provincial funding question been resolved? I seem to recall that there was some question on if the new gov would let the money flow?

This is all assuming the funding gets cut entirely. Wouldn't it be more likely that Ford cuts the amount by some amount (say 25%) and claim "efficiencies" will make up the rest? We're dealing with a populist government here, not a true conservative one. Harris was obsessed with actually cutting back. Ford just wants to look good with his base, his dedication to financial belt tightening is nebulous at best

Few points here. I agree that Ford is not necessarily a hack and slash kind of politicians. However, he’s a very Toronto-centric politician. And might see Ottawa as disposable. On the flip side, Trillium South and Confederation West are all bordering PC tidings. Cut those and the PCs will lose those riding for years. I’ve said before and I’ll say again, I think Confederation East will be facing cuts. I am, however, happy to be proven wrong.

Yes but still mediocre service with single track and half baked solution to the airport. Not to say tge disruption now and later for double tracking.

Isn't the mediocre service by the Trillium line exactly what Toronto is excited about by GO RER? Not wanting to get into the symantics debate, but the trillium line is pretty comparable to commuter rail, and by those standards it's a front runner by bringing 12 minute frequent rail service to a far flung suburb 20km from downtown. By metro/light rail/whatever standards it's back of the pack.

Isn't the mediocre service by the Trillium line exactly what Toronto is excited about by GO RER? Not wanting to get into the symantics debate, but the trillium line is pretty comparable to commuter rail, and by those standards it's a front runner by bringing 12 minute frequent rail service to a far flung suburb 20km from downtown. By metro/light rail/whatever standards it's back of the pack.
I'm not much more excited by RER... but for Ottawa, that line has been shut off so many times, and nearly two years next time for the same resulting frequency is underwhelming to no end, plus no electrification planned.

At worst it's currently every 15-minute off-peak. Until not long ago the Montreal Metro got down to every 14 minutes off-peak.

The expansion plans are quite significant, especially if they build the one-station extension north into Gatineau. Looks like they are planning to significantly increase the frequency as well.

There's similarities, sure. But the line is already doing better than what we are still years away from achieving with GO RER.

Compare to the Canada line Skytrain in Vancouver. Off-peak service from the airport or Richmond is only every 20 minutes.

I don't think this is comparable to commuter rail - 30 to 60 minutes scheduled gaps are still frequent on even the busiest GO Train lines currently.

At worst it's currently every 15-minute off-peak. Until not long ago the Montreal Metro got down to every 14 minutes off-peak.

The expansion plans are quite significant, especially if they build the one-station extension north into Gatineau. Looks like they are planning to significantly increase the frequency as well.

There's similarities, sure. But the line is already doing better than what we are still years away from achieving with GO RER.

Compare to the Canada line Skytrain in Vancouver. Off-peak service from the airport or Richmond is only every 20 minutes.

I don't think this is comparable to commuter rail - 30 to 60 minutes scheduled gaps are still frequent on even the busiest GO Train lines currently.

People are dissapointed with the Trillium line because they compare it to the confederation line, which sometime this century will open and offer 4 minute headways even on a Saturday at 8:30 pm

People are dissapointed with the Trillium line because they compare it to the confederation line, which sometime this century will open and offer 4 minute headways even on a Saturday at 8:30 pm
The Confederation line goes right through downtown, and has different demands.

I bet by the time they finish Stage 3 of the Confederation line, with branched services to Solandt, Terry Fox, and Marketplace in the east, they won't have every 4-minute headways on those branches at 8:30 pm on a Saturday! I wouldn't be surprised if it's more similar to the current section of the Trillium line by then.

Though people are always frustrated with what they've got, and everywhere they complain it's better somewhere else.

I don't think anyone expects the Trillium line to provide similar levels of service to the Confederation Line, but the levels offered are still fairly low for what the line should be offering.

More importantly we got screwed over a few years ago when they "upgraded" it to bring the headways down to 8 minutes (which is a perfectly reasonable level) but we got stuck with 12 minutes and Stage 2 won't improve on that at all (frankly I'm a little concerned it'll regress back to 15 minutes once Stage 2 is complete).

Back