News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

Orangeville-Brampton Railway (OBRY)

Fair enough, but the problem is that the railway will never break even so this will always be an issue. As for what Trillium is doing with track work, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just routine investment. Of course, this wouldn't be the first time investments were made in a railroad just before it was abandoned.

The term “routine investment” is an interesting choice of words, particularly for a railway, and especially for OBRY. Inability to reach agreement over the upkeep budget was one of the things that led Cando to leave.

Let’s assume that somewhere in North America (likely in the US) there are similar industries with sufficient spare capacity to absorb Orangeville’s output. All those plants can close, right? No harm done? Doesn’t sound like a sound industrial strategy for Ontario.

I drove the Forks of Credit area yesterday, scouting photo opportunities for a camera club. The area is so overrun on weekends that actually I question the value of adding investment in recreation/tourism. There simply isn’t the roadway space and parking space to bring any more hikers and cyclists into the area. And as more estate homes are added, the area is less interested in hosting daytrippers from the city.

OTOH, a bike-carrying GO train running 3-4 times a day from Union, similar to the weekend Niagara trains, would likely sell out, and really help with recreational congestion in the area.

- Paul

Last edited:
^Other than what has been posted in this thread in the past, media reports with quotes from CANDO, or any correspondence CANDO may have sent the Town that was published in a Council agenda package. no.

The term “routine investment” is an interesting choice of words, particularly for a railway, and especially for OBRY. Inability to reach agreement over the upkeep budget was one of the things that led Cando to leave.

Let’s assume that somewhere in North America (likely in the US) there are similar industries with sufficient spare capacity to absorb Orangeville’s output. All those plants can close, right? No harm done? Doesn’t sound like a sound industrial strategy for Ontario.

I drove the Forks of Credit area yesterday, scouting photo opportunities for a camera club. The area is so overrun on weekends that actually I question the value of adding investment in recreation/tourism. There simply isn’t the roadway space and parking space to bring any more hikers and cyclists into the area. And as more estate homes are added, the area is less interested in hosting daytrippers from the city.

OTOH, a bike-carrying GO train running 3-4 times a day from Union, similar to the weekend Niagara trains, would likely sell out, and really help with recreational congestion in the area.

- Paul

Well, I do wish they would expand Forks of the Credit PP, as per the Master Plan of more than 2 decades ago.

The Park itself is congested (bad for nature and visitors alike); but you need more space to have more trails, you can't just widen what's there it would ruin the place.

Likewise, there does need to be more parking, in the park, not on-road.

But the existing main parking area is plenty large.

What's needed is a lot on the west side of the river, and one at the southern tip of the park as well.

That would spread the load around, of cars and people.

In terms of Park boundaries, I'd actually like to see it larger than the Masterplan.

Everything from McLaren in the east to Mississauga Rd. in the west; and from Forks of the Credit Rd. in the south to Charleston in the north.

Charleston would the easiest station w/o disturbing much nature, the track is well below the grade of the road, but well placed for park access.

Another option would be Forks of the Credit Road, just after the big bridge across, where the road rises to track level.

Its too tight for a platform of any length, at least a conventional one...........

But maybe a cantilevered platform over the valley..............

1601918862432.png

For reference, do we have a full list of reasons why Cando left?

Officially? They chose not to re-tender for the contract.

Unofficially? They had long felt that short-line operations were not profitable enough, and so have decided to get out of them. For them, industrial switching contracts are far more lucrative.

Dan

Just for giggles, I did a quick Internet search of two rail-dependent customers. Best as I can tell, Avient Canada (former PolyOne) doesn't make any consumer-level film plastics. Their product line is quite varied and I couldn't clearly discern what happens in Orangeville, but they seem to deal in high-end polymers, rigid panels, etc. The Clorox Canada plant does make plastic film products, possibly including single use products targetted by the government, but is also the sole North American source for Glad compostable products.

The town has a financial burden for sure, but laying your crosshairs on ~420 jobs with a combined payroll of about 25 million might give a local elected politicians a pause.

As autumn has come, I have been thinking about how much I would love to see the Credit Valley Explorer make a return. A post-COVID return might make a lot of sense as people are itching to get out and do things again.

The question is, what would a new service look like? Perhaps this would be a good place for Rapido to get their RDCs running and earning some revenue.

Last edited:
As autumn has come, I have been thinking about how much I would love to see the Credit Valley Explorer make a return. A post-COVID return might make a lot of sense as people are itching to get out and do things again.

The question is, what would a new service look like? Perhaps this would be a good place for Rapido to get their RDCs running and earning some revenue.

There would be a need for an operator to be there who is amenable to passenger service. The current one isn't.

The former operator of the Credit Valley Explorer would like nothing more but to run trains again, but that seems unlikely until a new government who is willing to press the operator is in place.

Dan

A new article in the local Orangeville Banner.

One of the local customers - Geon Performance Solutions - in Orangeville no longer brings in materials by rail. The mayor of Orangeville says another employer brings its materials in by truck as its cheaper than rail and wants nothing more than sell off the railway to Peel Region for a recreational trail, with old Brampton CPR station grounds sold to a developer.

I would be sad to see the railway gone, but I don't see the political will left to save it.

Well <explative>! But this fight is far from over, really this is where it heats up. The remaining customers are still commited. The question is, will GEON exit the OBRAG now that they have shifted their rail served operation from Orangeville or will they remain part of it in case they need it in the future?

Also, it is important to note, this isn't entirely the mayor's call to make. Ultimately, the OBRAG, not the ORDC is responsible for the lion's share of the task of running the rail line. If the ORDC begins the discontinuance process, who could stop the OBRAG from buying the line at salvage value? It would certainly be egg on the face of the mayor who is so hell-bent on his land sale in Brampton.

The other thing to remember is the fact that removing the rails will still cost $4 million without the cost of building a trail. A rail trail would cost even more. The town would save almost nothing. I wish the mayor would stop belly-aching about >1% of the town's budget. He is the very definition of penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Last edited:

Back