News   Jul 30, 2024
 661     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 614     0 

Onyx (MCC, Davies Smith, 35s, Quadrangle/Raw)

update by Jasonzed at SSC.....

20100109035.jpg

20100109037.jpg

yes, I believe they are...also, the entire north face (not in picture), is 2 storey lofts....

Wow, no updates since January?? Topped out long ago, cladding is substantially complete, and the crane is coming down at Onyx today.......

for the record, some recent pics of Onyx.....by Jasonzed at SSC...

20100605a160.jpg

20100605a175.jpg

and a couple taken yesterday by airstream at SSC, showing the podium roof, and temporary crane assembly...

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

I really like that trellis-like roof feature on Onyx ... nice detail

AND I also see that there will be a green roof over the cental amenity building ... very thoughtful :)

thanks yyzer~

I hesitate to dredge up UT favourite dig 'Good Quadrangle/Bad Quadrangle' because I don't believe it's always applied very fairly... but it's not so difficult to recall it when the building is good, which I think is the case here. Sure it's a box, but such a handsome one. Staggered balconies (best seen on Jasonzed's photos) and some disciplined articulations for penthouse levels make for an eye-catching but not screaming building, that I think has been rather overlooked on UT. The location behind so many towers may be the cause for that... and being good in the shadow of the celebrated Absolute World towers doesn't help either... but I thought that a quick acknowledgement of those things, and posting a couple more shots, was in order, and would provide a chance to say 'Good Quadrangle' again.

OnyxModel.jpg

OnyxWebb.jpg

From Mississauga City Hall:

OnyxContext.jpg

It is a nice building, but none of the balconies are staggered. There is just height differences in the gaps between balconies.

So sorry Khristopher, what would you call what's going on with the balconies on two of the facades as seen above? It's not "just height differences".

Back