News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.3K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

Ontario Science Centre

The OSC needs far more robust ancillary revenues (parking, concession/food, complimentary retail/merch) as well as more robust grants, and a lower cost to operate and maintain building.
I can get behind this...but I never going to let that building or it's locations. Sorry TorStar, et al, never going to accept those apologetics either.

The Former CEO and Chief Scientist of the OSC is out with an opinion piece in The Star suggesting that its probably time to let the OSC in its current location go.

But he doesn't advocate for demolishing the Main building up top, suggesting perhaps a repurposing.
And ironically, "the Main building up top" is the part which, thanks to its IMAX-centric 90s alterations, has the *least* Moriyama-era architectural integrity intact.

IOW this is the OSC equivalent of regarding the Bud Stage as the only "incoming" part of Ontario Place with any as-is "value" (which was the Ford gov't's original party line in their plans for the OP site)

Original was so much more grand. Made you feel small. Which was fun.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 6.42.11 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 6.41.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 6.41.45 PM.png

Here's a question I've been wondering that I bet no one knows the answer to...

The ground where three main pods sit, was that naturally there or was that a huge man made hill?

Reason I ask is because the Don Valley everywhere else in Toronto just kind of falls off - once. It doesn't have a cliff and then another hill in front of the first big cliff.

In other words, topographically, it would seem more usual that the escalators would descend into the valley from the main entrance building, rather than a bridge across the full depth of the valley to another section of land at the same height and then escalators down to the valley floor.

Unless Moriyama's team found a unique little section where this was naturally occurring that just happened to coincide perfectly with Don Mills & Eglinton.

Here's a topographic map of the section.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 6.54.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 6.57.24 PM.png

Last edited:
Here's a question I've been wondering that I bet no one knows the answer to...

The ground where three main pods sit, was that naturally there or was that a huge man made hill?

Reason I ask is because the Don Valley everywhere else in Toronto just kind of falls off - once. It doesn't have a cliff and then another hill in front of the first big cliff.

In other words, topographically, it would seem more usual that the escalators would descend into the valley from the main entrance building, rather than a bridge across the full depth of the valley to another section of land at the same height and then escalators down to the valley floor.

Unless Moriyama's team found a unique little section where this was naturally occurring that just happened to coincide perfectly with Don Mills & Eglinton.

Here's a topographic map of the section.

View attachment 576411
View attachment 576412
These might help?
1939:

IMG_7752.jpeg

IMG_7753.jpeg

1978:

IMG_7754.jpeg

2022:

IMG_7755.jpeg

I adore seeing Foresters/MONY in their original splendour as well--before their recladding and/or condo conversion.

I will say this, though: functionally speaking, the front building always felt like an overscaled, glorified ticket booth, so I can understand why *it* was the element earmarked for renovation--trouble is, it went from being being underprogrammed to being overprogrammed and made the rest of the complex look like a dated afterthought...

The Former CEO and Chief Scientist of the OSC is out with an opinion piece in The Star suggesting that its probably time to let the OSC in its current location go.

But he doesn't advocate for demolishing the Main building up top, suggesting perhaps a repurposing.

The main thrust of his piece aside from the poor condition of the existing building is that the business model of the OSC is broken no matter where you put it, and that that needs addressing.

The OSC needs far more robust ancillary revenues (parking, concession/food, complimentary retail/merch) as well as more robust grants, and a lower cost to operate and maintain building.

He’s damn right the business model is broken. Not only that the culture within is unrepairable.

I think that there is still merit in keeping at least some of the structures- the IMAX theatre + auditorium/planetarium are definitely assets, and I think that the Main and the Mid-level buildings could be kept and repurposed (perhaps a new institution through philanthropy?). While the OSC going is unfortunate, there could be some excitement to be seen in the potential birth of a new Toronto-owned institution on this site.

Last edited:

Back