News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

Yes, everybody should have one. They are so easy to operate (not). Of course it would have to be powered by electricity or unicorn tears or something. Or are we talking about a publicly-funding hovercraft transit service?

The company that made a personal/utility sized one in Parry Sound went out of business.

A public hovercraft service could be good if there was a real need.

If you are wanting that, what about terminating it at SSM?
As someone with family in SSM I love this idea. But it's too far. Not that it should never happen. ON taking over the bus routes is a great first step to gauge demand.

Sudbury - North Bay has the population density and a large town in between - Sturgeon Falls.

As someone with family in SSM I love this idea. But it's too far. Not that it should never happen. ON taking over the bus routes is a great first step to gauge demand.

Sudbury - North Bay has the population density and a large town in between - Sturgeon Falls.

With Blind River, Espanola, and the rest of the towns along the line, could be viable.

I was kidding. I fear you are not.
I am for anything that can be viable.

Your use of the term "fantasy" is quite different from the way it is generally used here. That's your choice, I guess, but it puts you at odds with the flow of the discussion.

- Paul
Yes, with that definition we would have LOTS of fantasy buildings too as I assume that if a transit line would remain fantasy until it has revenue service than a building would reman fantasy until occupied.

Yes, with that definition we would have LOTS of fantasy buildings too as I assume that if a transit line would remain fantasy until it has revenue service than a building would reman fantasy until occupied.
To cancel this project would require the cancellation of this new train set order. What are you going to do? Transfer it to VIA?

Possibly. Or take the financial hit of the penalty.
Why? What would be the point? It would be political suicide. You won't get votes in any of those ridings. And a PC government won't get votes in Toronto so they need those rural votes.

Plus they are already starting work on the stations so why would you cancel a project that you ran an election on? The cost savings is not worth the political blowback.

Why? What would be the point? It would be political suicide. You won't get votes in any of those ridings. And a PC government won't get votes in Toronto so they need those rural votes.

Plus they are already starting work on the stations so why would you cancel a project that you ran an election on? The cost savings is not worth the political blowback.
Where are there shovels in the ground? Surveying and drawing is not working on a station.

Where are there shovels in the ground? Surveying and drawing is not working on a station.
Considering the train sets are still two yes away from being delivered there is still time to start modifying stations. Considering most of the buildings and platforms still exist.

Not sure if the south and north trains will meet at the same station but I would think that is unlikely.

Considering the train sets are still two yes away from being delivered there is still time to start modifying stations. Considering most of the buildings and platforms still exist.

Not sure if the south and north trains will meet at the same station but I would think that is unlikely.
I know they have time as we do not have the trains yet. The stations should take about 1 construction season. So, if they plan on opening it in January 2025, they will need to start physical construction on all stations by spring of 2024.

I know they have time as we do not have the trains yet. The stations should take about 1 construction season. So, if they plan on opening it in January 2025, they will need to start physical construction on all stations by spring of 2024.
The type and amount of station-related work will vary by location. A number are in private hands so it will be a matter of negotiating space lease and any renos by the owner or ONR (depending on the deal struck). Washago and Bracebridge are kiosks, G'Hurst in is good shape but leased out, Huntsville will need a lease negotiation and, I believe, parking/access road work. All of them on the CN Newmarket sub will require agreements beyond what will have to happen on their own ROW.

The big one will be Timmins (Golden City) where there is currently nothing.

Last edited:

Well, actually it is. With the service having been cancelled a decade ago and the physical facilities repurposed, it’s likely that the station planning is pretty close to square one. Any number of zoning or site approvals may be needed, old property brought up to code, etc. The sooner that surveys happen, the sooner the necessary designs will happen and the paper will be pushed.
If the service is being reinstated with the intent to be longstanding, ONR should not be just repainting a few old things… it should be built right.

- Paul

The type and amount of station-related work ill vary by location. A number are in private hands so it will be a matter of negotiating space lease and any renos by the owner or ONR (depending on the deal struck). Washago and Bracebridge on kiosks, G'Hurst in is good shape but leased out, Huntsville will need a lease negotiation and, I believe, parking/access road work. All of them on the CN Newmarket sub will require agreements beyond what will have to happen on their own ROW.

The big one will be Timmins (Golden City) where there is currently nothing.
The Timmins station shouldn't take longer than a year. Once I see a construction site, I'll believe it may be real.

Well, actually it is. With the service having been cancelled a decade ago and the physical facilities repurposed, it’s likely that the station planning is pretty close to square one. Any number of zoning or site approvals may be needed, old property brought up to code, etc. The sooner that surveys happen, the sooner the necessary designs will happen and the paper will be pushed.
If the service is being reinstated with the intent to be longstanding, ONR should not be just repainting a few old things… it should be built right.

- Paul
And once I see it actually started, the sooner I'll believe it.

Back