News   Mar 28, 2024
 273     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 326     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 684     0 

Ontario Line North of Eglinton (was Relief Line North) (Speculation)

Ye exactly. The Kipling spur should be just that: A spur or a branch line. My second thought is maybe they're considering doing a local-express dynamic. For instance, the crosstown route will have stops at Pearson, Rexdale, Woodbridge, Hwy 407, RHC, Leslie, and then the Ontario Loop will serve a lot of the more in between stops - but again this could easily be done without needing to run the Ontario Line ALL THE WAY to Pearson.
Express service would be a really great idea for enabling fast travel times. This would be a true 'cross-town' line. Maybe they could short turn some trains for OL south at 407 and have others run express west.. Or maybe have OL south run express at 407 some running west and some running east. Then you could also have 50% of those express trains running on the orbital alignment.

Theoretically the crosstown GO line could be an automated metro that just uses much longer commuter-style trains, and platforms could be designed to handle both, with the short OL vehicles heading downtown and commuter ones heading across the region.
Long trains mean long platforms and expensive stations. You'd be better off running shorter trains more frequently.

I think extending the OL out to Markham makes way more sense than to Richmond hill and forming a loop. Richmond hill is already gonna have subway service, and Vaughan already does, leaving downtown Markham served only by GO. I get the Stouffville line is going to be a far better service than the Richmond Hill line, and there's no GO serving Vaughan metro, but giving Richmond Hill 2 subways and a GO line headed straight downtown feels a little redundant to me. by looping the Ontario Line via the 407 you're also limiting what can be done with the corridor to the east and west. I mean they show their Oshawa connection, but you'd then either be creating confusing branches, forcing a transfer from the Oshawa line to the Ontario line if you're headed from say eastern Markham to anywhere west of the 404 or duplicating service on the corridor (not including viva or anything either. really there would be line 4 high-quality services using the high 7/407 corridor). I think extending the OL to downtown Markham, and then the airport and highway 407 somewhere in Vaughan (like at the 427 or my preferred route up jane to Vaughan metro skipping the airport) makes more sense and then having a dedicated 407 line that connects all the way from the east to west without duplicated services or forced transfers.

UPX doesn't really help people travelling from the North end of the city get to Pearson
It is best to have alternate routes to the Pearson Transit Hub. Happened several times with UPX, where they had to use buses due to service suspension. UPX is also more expensive than using the TTC services, which only goes to downtown. UPX was designed for business people going to and from downtown, not Midtown nor Scarborough. If Finch LRT is extended to Pearson and east, then the Finch LRT would serve those in the northern sections of Toronto.

I think long term we are going to see UPX die off in place of a Kitchener line spur to Pearson and potentially also OL. Reportedly Mx is not super happy with UPX as it limited the corridor flexibility at USRC and the fleet is quite unreliable.
Gee really who could have told them this?

Could have used that money to get service to Brampton and not take a huge loss on fare but what do I know, I just post here...

Have meet with a number of MTO staff and Ministers since 2008 and they have felt UPX (Blue 22) numbers fail to do the job. One reason a number only last a short time as they were in opposition to their boss and the Mayor of Toronto,

When one looks deeply as who is going to/from the airport, they will see very poor numbers for people who are travelling or visiting the city. Bulk of the numbers are for people who work at the airport, near by or are plane crews.

You may have 4% users using UPX, when it needs to be greater.

By having a T connection at the rail corridor will allow trains from the west to get to/from the airport easier depending where they are coming from.

UPX was to be electrify by 2019, yet here we are in 2022 still taking about it.

Having the Ontario line going to the airport will offer better service than UPX for everyone and a lot cheaper.

You need service from all areas of the GTA to reduce the need for a car to/from the airport and that cost money to build new lines to do it or upgrade existing ones. Once the Eglinton and Finch LRT lines get built to the airport, greater number of flyers will use the lines.

The last few times we had to flown out/into the airport, we use the cab as our flight was too early or late to use transit.

The OL needs to get to Steeles sooner than later as it will help the Yonge line. Highway 7 is next.

Pretty confident whoever proposed a loop for the Ontario line secretly posts on UT.

Personally I'll never understand the desire for a loop line in Toronto.
Its not really a loop line, since its not actually a complete circle: the segment between Exhibition and Kipling is discontinuous. Personally I like the idea of maybe making a spiral line.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 10.58.28 PM.png

Instead of Ontario line being the "loop", we should have this.

Also, Line 5 and potentially Line 6 coming to YYZ as well. Still, I think many expect that the UPX will become a spur of the Kitchener line eventually, regardless.
Have no issue with that plan, but it cannot be the current type of service. Had that branch line on my 2006 master plan.

Having every train to stop at the airport will piss off current riders as it will add a lot of extra travel time compare today.

Does not have to service every stations, but a hopscotch and various types of express using less equipment to a DMU..

VIA could run some long distance service to the Airport from the west.

What is badly miss, is a connection from the Milton and Lakeshore West lines. You could use the connection between CP Toronto North Sub to Mactier Sub and then connect to the Weston Sub like it happens for CN transfers today. Could use the Campa Sub for the Lakeshore West line, Anything west of Burlington could use the CN Halton Sub.

Service east of Toronto would use the Lakeshore east line and follow UPX route.

View attachment 384807
Instead of Ontario line being the "loop", we should have this.
Around around around we go and we have no idea where it will stop

Reactions: syn

Back