News   Apr 19, 2024
 320     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 640     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 733     1 

Ontario Line North of Eglinton (was Relief Line North) (Speculation)

If Metrolinx ever intend for the Ontario to go further North up Don Mills (in the Future) to connect to the Subway at Fairview Mall, then their elevated ‘Above-Ground’ pylons on East side of Don Mills would need to be Tall-Enough to pass-over the existing Double-Stacked Container-Rail Line..? Somewhere near where that big tree on the right-hand side of the road is in this photo.

1625153099224.png

The piers to clear the Double-Stacked Container-Rail will need to be considerably higher than the LAX-Metro example below. It will be like a ride at Canada's Wonderland, or how the UPX trains need to access Pearson station.

1625153334816.png

If Metrolinx ever intend for the Ontario to go further North up Don Mills (in the Future) to connect to the Subway at Fairview Mall, then their elevated ‘Above-Ground’ pylons on East side of Don Mills would need to be Tall-Enough to pass-over the existing Double-Stacked Container-Rail Line..? Somewhere near where that big tree on the right-hand side of the road is in this photo.

View attachment 331783

The piers to clear the Double-Stacked Container-Rail will need to be considerably higher than the LAX-Metro example below. It will be like a ride at Canada's Wonderland, or how the UPX trains need to access Pearson station.

View attachment 331784

Whether or not I believe in the province's supposed plans is one thing.............

That said, I don't see a huge issue on the gradient here, the road passes underneath the railway (CPR) at an artificial low point.
If you assume the Ontario Line were above grade at conventional height at Wynford.......it probably wouldn't need to go up at all, or at least not much, though the columns would get a bit taller, particularly if the train were inside the Don Mills ROW.

Here's the streetview looking north towards the CPR from Wynford:

1625154594345.png

You can see the railway is roughly at the same height as is Wynford. So no material grade change appears to be required.
An elevated Corridor could also skirt the ROW, and avoid the need to substantially lengthen the columns.

Below you can see the true height of the land off to the side of Don Mills:

1625154733929.png

Looking south, we see the same topographical profile.

1625154849676.png

As such, I don't think this would be much of a 'ride'.

Last edited:
Buttonville? What is it doing all the way up there?
Finding cheap available land for an MSF if they plan to eventually get the OL to Hwy 7. If using the 404 ROW, that extra 500-800m of track to go further North and build a bigger MSF won't be too cost prohibitive.

It could veer east north of Sheppard to connect directly with Seneca and go up the 404 and have a station at McNicoll where all those office towers are.

Absolutely no, don mills road is wide enough
I actually think the station at Sheppard could benefit from being underground to provide a better transfer with line 4. Don mills has buildings packed pretty close on either side just south of Sheppard too so if the line dipped underground very briefly after crossing the 401 and coming back above ground after Fairview mall drive I feel that'd be money well spent 🤔

I actually think the station at Sheppard could benefit from being underground to provide a better transfer with line 4. Don mills has buildings packed pretty close on either side just south of Sheppard too so if the line dipped underground very briefly after crossing the 401 and coming back above ground after Fairview mall drive I feel that'd be money well spent 🤔
Agreed. It's the same at Eglinton with an underground station providing a better transfer to Line 5. Unfortunately that's not what's being proposed.

Making it underground will definitely cost more, I propose having 3 high speed elevators to connect the Ontario line platform above ground to line 4 concourse underground.

Agreed. It's the same at Eglinton with an underground station providing a better transfer to Line 5. Unfortunately that's not what's being proposed.
science centre station would definitely benefit from a better transfer than what is currently proposed though because there is so much currently empty land around it (parking lots) i think this could probably be achieved without tunnelling, though crosstown community already takes up some of that space so. Science centre station on line 5 is also pretty shallow so the Ontario line would have to go deeper under it rather than over it which should be possible at Sheppard so it may be less feasible 🤷‍♂️
Making it underground will definitely cost more, I propose having 3 high speed elevators to connect the Ontario line platform above ground to line 4 concourse underground.
it would definitely cost a decent amount more, though I think the easier transfer and the smaller footprint in an already crowded area could be worth the extra cost for such a small section of tunnel and one station

I doubt this will actually materialize, but the Gov of Ontario proposes to extend the Ontario Line to Richmond Hill Centre and Pearson Airport as part of its 2051 long term goals. :/

"Exploring a new transit loop that connects the Ontario Line with new major transit hubs where regional services connect, including at Pearson Airport and Richmond Hill Centre" (page 9)

Back