News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Ontario Line North of Eglinton (was Relief Line North) (Speculation)

The city proactively downzoned all of Queen for RLS, so if you're expecting land use and transportation planning to have any relationship to each other then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

By "tunneled" I think you mean 'bored', because there is no alternative to tunneling between Danforth and the Don Valley.

I'm not going to check your math because I'm not your MECH102 TA so I'm just going to point out the obvious stuff:
  • 225 500 000 J is the energy stored in about 5 litres of gasoline. Adding all those zeros makes it look astronomical but without any context (what is the typical electricity consumed by a train over its route? what percentage of operating costs is electricity compared to everything else?) that information is useless
  • Presumably, the TTC wouldn't say the design standard is 3% grade if running on that incline would mean burning out all their motors. So a sanity check is needed for your numbers on power.
  • The power needed to go from Bloor-Pape to below the bed of the Don Valley is less than what you would need if it were running flat because it is 0 W. Similarly;
  • The potential and kinetic energy change in going down and back up 120 meters to rest is 0 J. Any number you calculate other than 0 involves information that you don't have about friction, air resistance, component efficiency, etc.
I meant bored, my mistake.

225.5 MJ (E=mgh (205,000kg * 10m/s^2* 110m) was just a quick calculation for the more important power, which is of concern when going up such steep gradients. Also, the energy density of petrol is 34.2 MJ/L, or about 6.6 litres of gasoline. It may not seem like much, but when you have 20 trains going up that hill every hour, that difference adds up to more than 140K L of fuel annually. Given that the efficiency of thermal generation is around 40% (even less if generated by a locomotive), that number is closer to 350.4K L annually (and that's just for the difference, it would actually be ~1.5M L wasted annually). 1L of gas equates to 8.8 kWh, so every time a train goes up the hill, it uses at least 58 kWh. Now, while that's only about 9 dollars worth of power, it adds up over a long time. Over a year, it wastes close to $790K in electricity alone (without considering waste energy and without considering regenerative breaking earnings from going down the hill).

I should have clarified later, that the focus of this entire statement was assuming that we started from a cut-and-cover level at pape and travelled down 110 meters over 2 km, in which, the grades would be 5.5% (which would be a cause for concern for the TTC). For most steep grades in the system, I'd assume that they'd have sections of straight track or low grade track for the train to accelerate to a safe speed, then enter a steep gradient. If this happens, then the power required at any given time does not exceed 3,100 kW for the entire train. If there were stations between the don valley and Bloor, then this would not be possible without stopping the train on a 5.5% grade or increasing the grade significantly, neither of which are good ideas.

I don't fully understand that third bullet point. Are you suggesting the the train does not require any work to go down the hill? While this is true and would generate power due to conservation of energy, there are plenty of other factors (as you mention later) affecting the net gain of electricity from regenerative braking. Realistically, given that these numbers are constant whether you are going up or down the hill, they can be left out. They would also affect the trains heading up the hill, which would in term require that more power be used to get up the hill. Say, if friction does 100MJ of work while the train is going down the hill, it is also going to do around 100MJ of work if the train is going up the hill, and if the train is traveling along a 0% grade, that difference is irrelevant since it applies to all scenarios. While it is true that electricity would be generated from regenerative braking, at most, the efficiency of this is 70%, and because there's so much energy that has to be dissipated in such a small amount of time, that number is going to be even less (Probably less than 40%). Even if this number is applied, close to $400K in electricity annually is wasted just by keeping the train underground. In capital expenditures, it's not much, but it's close to 1/3 of all advertising revenue the TTC makes. If the train has to go back up after the don valley, that number doubles. Again, the claim that going down the hill would be a huge waste of money was just a general claim based on the shear distance they need to cover. The real point (and I should have made this clearer), was that the wear on the train itself would have not made this proposal feasible in any sense.

EDIT: All those numbers assume an empty train at all times. Since that load is live, the amount of wasted electricity is likely up to 30% too low.

Last edited:
Or how far *east*. Considering one of the alignments has it heading dead east on Sheppard from Don Mills to Vic Pk, with another travelling toward and up Vic Pk. Lots of neat opportunities, and potential political support since it could straddle NY/Scarb border or take the form of a Sheppard extension.
I’m pretty sure alignment 4 won’t go east on Sheppard to terminate at Victoria Park. The small Sheppard extension is for alignment 5 or 6, where the line goes up Victoria Park to meet with the Sheppard extension to Victoria Park.

I’m pretty sure alignment 4 won’t go east on Sheppard to terminate at Victoria Park. The small Sheppard extension is for alignment 5 or 6, where the line goes up Victoria Park to meet with the Sheppard extension to Victoria Park.

If the line is built to Don Mills, and growth on Sheppard stagnates after 2041, then it's pretty safe to build the Sheppard east LRT. It would be nice seeing the subway extend to Victoria park and have relief line go down Vic Park though.

Due to the Don Valley, this line makes sense to be broken up into 2 chunks. They could be done simultaneously or consecutively, but separating them makes sense.

My bigger question would be - When they build DRLN, how far north will it go to in the initial construction?

Or how far *east*. Considering one of the alignments has it heading dead east on Sheppard from Don Mills to Vic Pk, with another travelling toward and up Vic Pk. Lots of neat opportunities, and potential political support since it could straddle NY/Scarb border or take the form of a Sheppard extension.
Fair but we should be progressing past EA status if that is the case. Everyone has caved on the sheppard subway being built at some point so the whole line is even more needed now.

Is that going to provide adequate relief to Bloor-Yonge station? I like the alignments that intersect Yonge, rather than VP.

The goal of Relief Line North is not to relieve Bloor-Yonge station, that is the goal of Relief Line South. The goal of Relief Line North is to relieve the Yonge line north of Bloor Yonge station. One can make arguments for each corridor. While Don mills looks prettier on maps and has a bigger catchment of Yonge passengers, Victoria Park serves a larger area and can potentially bring more people to transit. On average, you'll have at most a 10 minute bus ride if the line is built on Don mills, and that number will likely increase to 15 minutes if it's Victoria park. There are benefits to both corridors. More work needs to be done.

The goal of Relief Line North is not to relieve Bloor-Yonge station, that is the goal of Relief Line South. The goal of Relief Line North is to relieve the Yonge line north of Bloor Yonge station. One can make arguments for each corridor. While Don mills looks prettier on maps and has a bigger catchment of Yonge passengers, Victoria Park serves a larger area and can potentially bring more people to transit. On average, you'll have at most a 10 minute bus ride if the line is built on Don mills, and that number will likely increase to 15 minutes if it's Victoria park. There are benefits to both corridors. More work needs to be done.
That’s not 100% true. The Relief Line North is needed to relieve Bloor-Yonge Station as it will (probably) interchange with Science Centre Station, reducing the amount of people going all the way to Yonge along Eglinton. Yes it will relieve the line north of Bloor, but that isn’t that just a side effect of relieving Bloor-Yonge?

I might be wrong, however I can't say that you're right just because it's fairly vague. It could be neither of these things and simply a Sheppard extension thrown in to tie-in with option 4+5+6, which might explain the northward arrows given for all alignments.

Is that going to provide adequate relief to Bloor-Yonge station? I like the alignments that intersect Yonge, rather than VP.

There's only one singular alignment that intersects Yonge. The jury's still out whether that will provide most relief (I think it would score the worst). But it also seems pretty bad regardless. Intersecting Laird, then Bayview, then veering to Finch. Hmm.

For me I think 4+5 are the best in terms of city-building, but also in providing most relief (but that's a guess). That they have a mysterious Sheppard extn to Consumers area tied-in makes them that much better.

That’s not 100% true. The Relief Line North is needed to relieve Bloor-Yonge Station as it will (probably) interchange with Science Centre Station, reducing the amount of people going all the way to Yonge along Eglinton. Yes it will relieve the line north of Bloor, but that isn’t that just a side effect of relieving Bloor-Yonge?

But that's not necessarily relieving Bloor-Yonge station, it's relieving Eglinton-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge stations. The vast majority of people on Eglinton and Sheppard are traveling to the Yonge line, not the bloor line, so Relief Line North is there to reduce crowding on the Yonge line. Of course, some people might find it more convenient traveling to relief line north over the Bloor line, however, that is not the main purpose of Relief Line North. There's also the fact that crowding will continue to increase at bloor Yonge station regardless if Relief Line south is built because Bloor Passengers may find it far more difficult to transfer if Yonge crowding keeps increasing. However, this is just a result of population growth and preference. People might have to wait longer at platforms for get on a train, but the vast majority of people aren't transferring. Bloor-Yonge's Yonge platform has the benefit of lots of space, so the issue is less pronounced here.

But that's not necessarily relieving Bloor-Yonge station, it's relieving Eglinton-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge stations. The vast majority of people on Eglinton and Sheppard are traveling to the Yonge line, not the bloor line, so Relief Line North is there to reduce crowding on the Yonge line. Of course, some people might find it more convenient traveling to relief line north over the Bloor line, however, that is not the main purpose of Relief Line North. There's also the fact that crowding will continue to increase at bloor Yonge station regardless if Relief Line south is built because Bloor Passengers may find it far more difficult to transfer if Yonge crowding keeps increasing. However, this is just a result of population growth and preference. People might have to wait longer at platforms for get on a train, but the vast majority of people aren't transferring. Bloor-Yonge's Yonge platform has the benefit of lots of space, so the issue is less pronounced here.

There's two components to relieving Bloor-Yonge:
  1. Reducing the transfer volume (Line 2 to Line 1 in the AM Peak).
  2. Reducing the volume heading into Bloor-Yonge on Line 1.
The RLS deals with #1, while the RLN deals with #2. Either one can be effective, but I have a feeling that there will come a point where only both combined will have any meaningful effect.

From Metrolinx 3 years ago:

kRssGQv.png

J2KpLIa.png

There's only one singular alignment that intersects Yonge. The jury's still out whether that will provide most relief (I think it would score the worst). But it also seems pretty bad regardless. Intersecting Laird, then Bayview, then veering to Finch. Hmm.

For me I think 4+5 are the best in terms of city-building, but also in providing most relief (but that's a guess). That they have a mysterious Sheppard extn to Consumers area tied-in makes them that much better.

That Finch Station bound alignment is out to lunch.

A much better way to intersect Yonge is to do it in York Region.

My bet is that it would score the best in terms of relief provided.

Option 5, after serving Thorncliffe Park and the Science Centre, veers east (going along or under the railway) to continue north along Victoria Park Avenue. Should it reach Sheppard Avenue East, it could merge with Line 4 Sheppard and continue west to terminate at the Sheppard West Station on Line 1.

12.png

From link.

Option 5, after serving Thorncliffe Park and the Science Centre, veers east (going along or under the railway) to continue north along Victoria Park Avenue. Should it reach Sheppard Avenue East, it could merge with Line 4 Sheppard and continue west to terminate at the Sheppard West Station on Line 1.

12.png

From link.
I mean sure. That is viable.

I just think we are losing some of the point of why we are building this Line. Which is to relief the Yonge line by intercepting bus routes.

I see two major bus routes north of Sheppard that produce large volumes of passengers for the Yonge Line that need intercepting: Finch East & Steeles East.

Back