News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

Ontario Line North of Eglinton (was Relief Line North) (Speculation)

Should it reach Sheppard Avenue East, it could merge with Line 4 Sheppard and continue west to terminate at the Sheppard West Station on Line 1.
Something tells me York Region would put up a stink over this, since it would preclude the DRL from eventually moving north into Markham. Considering the RLN at the moment is a Metrolinx project I have no doubt York would be twisting ML's arm over this.

I mean sure. That is viable.

I just think we are losing some of the point of why we are building this Line. Which is to relief the Yonge line by intercepting bus routes.

I see two major bus routes north of Sheppard that produce large volumes of passengers for the Yonge Line that need intercepting: Finch East & Steeles East.
It can be an easy fix. Run most of the Finch East and Steeles East buses to the new Sheppard/Victoria Park area station.
It should work better than the former 139 Finch East routing because at the least most will have a one-seat ride downtown from the station. Then if Victoria Park ever becomes congested to effect headway reliability, the buses can always use Pharmacy.

Option 3 seems like the best option to me for the simple reason that taking over the Richmond Hill GO line and providing service at least as far as Lanstaff will kill the need for a Yonge North extension for decades. Then we can use the money we save to build other, more important projects like relief line west.

Option 3 seems like the best option to me for the simple reason that taking over the Richmond Hill GO line and providing service at least as far as Lanstaff will kill the need for a Yonge North extension for decades. Then we can use the money we save to build other, more important projects like relief line west.
It may kill the need to extend Yonge to Highway 7, but not an extension to Steeles. Question is will they do a 2km cut-and-cover extension.

It may kill the need to extend Yonge to Highway 7, but not an extension to Steeles. Question is will they do a 2km cut-and-cover extension.

Yonge should go north to RHGO.

Maybe the DRL should go somewhere in Marham.

Option 5, after serving Thorncliffe Park and the Science Centre, veers east (going along or under the railway) to continue north along Victoria Park Avenue. Should it reach Sheppard Avenue East, it could merge with Line 4 Sheppard and continue west to terminate at the Sheppard West Station on Line 1.

12.png

From link.
This would really tell Scarborough that they will never get a subway - especially if shovels are not in the ground yet for SSE.

The only thing preventing option #4 from being the hands down best option is that stupid decision that was made on Eglinton to make it on street through Leslie.

Option 3 seems like the best option to me for the simple reason that taking over the Richmond Hill GO line and providing service at least as far as Lanstaff will kill the need for a Yonge North extension for decades.

My understanding was that this option entails running subway trains alongside the GO line, not actually taking it over.

This would really tell Scarborough that they will never get a subway - especially if shovels are not in the ground yet for SSE.

The only thing preventing option #4 from being the hands down best option is that stupid decision that was made on Eglinton to make it on street through Leslie.

Victoria Park Avenue is shared by Scarborough and North York. So Scarborough would be getting another subway.

^let's get some money first
If we get the money - there won't be a reason to look for savings.
No point putting in money if its not enough to do the job.
Thus, prove that the job can be done with less money.

Yonge should go north to RHGO.

Maybe the DRL should go somewhere in Marham.

Why should it ever go to Markham? That is not where the ridership is. The ridership is on Yonge or along the Stoufville GO line. Not in between.

Optimal route for the DRL North to take is to meet the Yonge Line somewhere north of Steeles. You maximize relief to the Yonge Subway by intercepting riders coming from the north of the Yonge Subway (not to mention providing York Region commuters with a much more rapid route downtown than the Yonge Line). I'm going to link a post in the Crosstown thread which covers these same points here.

The question is more so, if taking over the Richmond Hill GO line is feasible. It being looked at as Option 3 in the present study lends some credibility to the corridor, though I would prefer an alignment like this personally.

Option 5, after serving Thorncliffe Park and the Science Centre, veers east (going along or under the railway) to continue north along Victoria Park Avenue. Should it reach Sheppard Avenue East, it could merge with Line 4 Sheppard and continue west to terminate at the Sheppard West Station on Line 1.

From link.

I genuinely disbelieve that veering RLN west into Line 4 is what the map is showing. But I guess we'll find out more soon, unless PCs killed Mlinx's work on RLN.

Why should it ever go to Markham? That is not where the ridership is. The ridership is on Yonge or along the Stoufville GO line. Not in between.

Not in between, er that's not correct at all. And it contradicts your earlier point about connecting bus routes, of which any suburban subway extension (such as YNSE) heavily relies on in its biz case. Are you even aware of the employment zone around 404 and Hwy 7? Maybe there's not much E-W ridership today which is evident with YRT/Viva's low numbers. But acting like there's nothing in between Yonge and Unionville is pretty clueless.

Optimal route for the DRL North to take is to meet the Yonge Line somewhere north of Steeles. You maximize relief to the Yonge Subway by intercepting riders coming from the north of the Yonge Subway (not to mention providing York Region commuters with a much more rapid route downtown than the Yonge Line). I'm going to link a post in the Crosstown thread which covers these same points here.

The question is more so, if taking over the Richmond Hill GO line is feasible. It being looked at as Option 3 in the present study lends some credibility to the corridor, though I would prefer an alignment like this personally.

There are already is a rapid route at Yonge/Hwy 7 that goes downtown, it's the existing GO line. Your link to some post and map of yours doesn't cover much and certainly doesn't prove that sending not one but two multi-billion dollar subway projects to a single point in York Region is smart or an optimal route for RLN. It's also not in any RLN doc so should likely be saved for the fantasy thread.

Not in between, er that's not correct at all. And it contradicts your earlier point about connecting bus routes, of which any suburban subway extension (such as YNSE) heavily relies on in its biz case. Are you even aware of the employment zone around 404 and Hwy 7? Maybe there's not much E-W ridership today which is evident with YRT/Viva's low numbers. But acting like there's nothing in between Yonge and Unionville is pretty clueless.
I'm not saying that there is nothing in between Yonge and Unionville. I am saying that there is no ridership for public transit service. You are not going to solve first-last mile problem in suburban warehouse-style employment districts, and putting a subway station there is several orders of magnitude more ridiculous than Vaughan.

That area of York Region is going to remain auto-dependent and that is okay. That is how those employment lands are structured and the businesses in the area likely located there for that reason. The ridership for York's VIVA network is not generated from that 404&Hwy-7, and are not heading towards 404&Hwy-7.

The fact that you are bringing it up as a counter-point, is displaying a fundamental disconnect with the purpose of rapid transit, which is to move mass numbers of passengers from point of origin to destination, and of commuter patterns in York Region.

There are already is a rapid route at Yonge/Hwy 7 that goes downtown, it's the existing GO line. Your link to some post and map of yours doesn't cover much and certainly doesn't prove that sending not one but two multi-billion dollar subway projects to a single point in York Region is smart or an optimal route for RLN. It's also not in any RLN doc so should likely be saved for the fantasy thread.

You're right. It makes no sense to send subways to this planned mobility hub here:

LangstaffS_19May10_%281%29.jpg

Tunnelling for 4km north of Steeles to reach here would be much better:

upload_2018-10-28_22-36-33.png

two multi-billion dollar subway projects to a single point in York Region is smart or an optimal route for RLN

So we are building a relief line to provide relief to the Yonge Line, and it is neither smart nor optimal to consider the possibility of providing relief from the largest contributor of congestion on the Yonge line, which is ridership originating from the north?

Yonge North Ridership.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-28_22-36-33.png
    upload_2018-10-28_22-36-33.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 481
  • Yonge North Ridership.png
    Yonge North Ridership.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 502

Back