News   Jul 15, 2024
 334     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 497     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

Ontario Line Extension West of Ontario Place (Speculation)

You make a good point. The problem is commuters coming in from Weston-York are using the same general area to enter the downtown. I still stand by my belief that the Relief Line tunnel should have provisions for GO service to be diverted away from Union because of this. But if the Roncesvalles area needs to be served, then it can't be served by GO and there would need to be a split, where GO trains surface to join the corridor and local trains continue westbound along Queen. I would suggest it look like this, where GO trains do not stop at unlabeled stations.

Oh, and I still say this is possible and preferred, since a project being dismissed once doesn't mean that corridor or general idea can never be considered ever again, or else nobody would be talking about Sheppard East. Nothing's impossible until shovels are in the ground.
This would be quite acceptable if it was on the cards. I do have misgivings about the cost and complexity of the enlarged tunnel and stations to accommodate commuter rail through the downtown core still, but it would alleviate capacity constraints that Union Station would face in the future.

You could even use the Richmond Hill corridor north of Lawrence to provide RER-service on the Richmond Hill line, completely by-passing the problematic Don River alignment (and take the Relief Line to Sheppard on Don Mills as planned).

I still stand by my belief that the Relief Line tunnel should have provisions for GO service to be diverted away from Union because of this.

Excellent map, btw! Your point leads me to one I've had for some time, but haven't raised it recently: In lieu of the 'connections' to the B-D Line 2 at Pape, and being standard track gauge, ramps are built to reconnect the RER 'through core' trains to the LE line at East Harbour or Gerrard. Many choices are then offered from all points downtown, including express to RH via the Don Valley tracks, or local via RL North. Those wishing express connections would go via Union Station. Alternate 'downtown' RER would go via Union, the others via 'mid-core'. The ramps would be built in the first stage to get stock in and out of the tunnels from the mainline, which would be electrified to the yard (either downtown or in Whitby)
I do have misgivings about the cost and complexity of the enlarged tunnel
This is a non-sequitur. Tunnel bore for single deck RER would be the same within centimeters.

Last edited:
This would be quite acceptable if it was on the cards. I do have misgivings about the cost and complexity of the enlarged tunnel and stations to accommodate commuter rail through the downtown core still, but it would alleviate capacity constraints that Union Station would face in the future.

You could even use the Richmond Hill corridor north of Lawrence to provide RER-service on the Richmond Hill line, completely by-passing the problematic Don River alignment (and take the Relief Line to Sheppard on Don Mills as planned).
This is exactly my intention with this proposal, which is why I would also have no GO stations between East Harbour and York Mills Road.

This is exactly my intention with this proposal, which is why I would also have no GO stations between East Harbour and York Mills Road.
Not sure what this has to do with relief line west.

Also neither of the two GO lines that pass through the proposed East Harbour station cross York Mills Road - I assume you mean Ellesmere ...

Not sure what this has to do with relief line west.

Also neither of the two GO lines that pass through the proposed East Harbour station cross York Mills Road - I assume you mean Ellesmere ...

Know it is a bit off topic, but where would East Harbour station be located?

Know it is a bit off topic, but where would East Harbour station be located?
Mostly on the east side of the Don - though there's talk of a pedestrian walkway from the end of the platform, to the western edge of the river.

The Richmond Hill line curves north along the west bank of the Don, a bit before that location. Only Stouffville and Lakeshore trains could stop at the new station.

Mostly on the east side of the Don - though there's talk of a pedestrian walkway from the end of the platform, to the western edge of the river.

The Richmond Hill line curves north along the west bank of the Don, a bit before that location. Only Stouffville and Lakeshore trains could stop at the new station.
Walking transfer to previously proposed Cherry-Front station.

I'd like to suggest that this thread only be used for speculation about a future extension beyond Ontario/Ex Place now that the Ontario Line will come as far west as here. (So I don't expect much activity here for quite a while.)

You can find the man Ontario Line thread here.

(So I don't expect much activity here for quite a while.)
No kidding. Exhibition/Ontario Place is a dead end, unless we want to tunnel across the lake to Niagara Falls. Hey, maybe we can make the first international subway line to Rochester!

In my opinion, tacking "of Ontario Place" on the title is a bit premature.

No kidding. Exhibition/Ontario Place is a dead end, unless we want to tunnel across the lake to Niagara Falls. Hey, maybe we can make the first international subway line to Rochester!

In my opinion, tacking "of Ontario Place" on the title is a bit premature.
The map provided today makes the line look like it'll really be ending more so at Exhibition go with tracks pointing westward - if so it could easily get extended. Depends a lot on exact alignment - probably best to wait for more details to determine if it is possible or not.

This could be a potential alignment of extension

Dundas West is a bit further north of Ontario Place so it would actually be more of an angle.

When I first heard the plan I figured it would be ending at Ontario Place itself, but ending at Exhibition actually would be pretty solid as its a connection point for several different other lines. And it could still head up to Dundas West (which I personally prefer) or over to Park Lawn and Long Branch. Or theoretically both I suppose.

Back