News   Apr 19, 2024
 368     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 568     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 949     3 

Ontario Line Extension West of Ontario Place (Speculation)

You’re not WRONG, but I honestly don’t see the need for relief in that form so close to the GO corridor. We really will have subway like frequency from Dundas West to Union under even the most minimal imaginable versions of GO expansion, while something IS pretty clearly needed on roughly the 427 alignment. A BRT extension does make some sense over there, but would never get anything like direct downtown access in it’s own right.

My my hope would be to take the line off the Lakeshore corridor and follow the Gardiner alignment west of Humber, serve Sherway with the OL extension and connect to BD with a surface extension of the subway south through via the CP corridor (coordinated with building the new yard).

The GO corridor serves different a different audience.

I don't necessarily mind this plan, but I think the OL heading north on Dundas or even Jane would address a clear need, especially with the growth projected in those areas.

The GO corridor serves different a different audience.

I don't necessarily mind this plan, but I think the OL heading north on Dundas or even Jane would address a clear need, especially with the growth projected in those areas.
Its not meant to long term. The whole point of GO RER is that it can basically be used as a Subway li...

god why am I bothering telling this to you...

Why can’t the ONTARIO line go to MCC. Is it not part of Ontario?
Why can't it go all the way to Orangeville? That's in Ontario too, isn't it?

The only subway line we should really expect to go out to Square One is Line 5, and even then it might be split into two services at Renforth.

Why can't it go all the way to Orangeville? That's in Ontario too, isn't it?

The only subway line we should really expect to go out to Square One is Line 5, and even then it might be split into two services at Renforth.
I understand that Mississauga is not in Toronto... Neither is Vaughan... (has a subway) neither is Richmond hill...(getting a subway)

Also the way we were building the Ontario Line I did not think of it as a subway.

Of course these are low quality back of a napkin renderings, but I would speculate the most likely route of OL would continue along Lakeshore/Gardiner, then north along 427. Just speculation though.

Really weird route for a Metro/light Metro. The airport isn't crazy, but a giant loop around town doesn't seem like a sensible mode. I don't really understand the plans and I'm having a hard time making out the graphic, but it seems like a local transit mode being applied to regional and intercity distances.

Really weird route for a Metro/light Metro. The airport isn't crazy, but a giant loop around town doesn't seem like a sensible mode. I don't really understand the plans and I'm having a hard time making out the graphic, but it seems like a local transit mode being applied to regional and intercity distances.

Light metro is optimal for that. Naturally not going to put a mainline train along the 427, LRVs are inefficiently hefty and built for operating in traffic, a "heavy" metro means more capacity which this wouldn't need. So light metro it is. Alternatively it could be BRT, which is what this plan is based off of. It's the Big Move from 15yrs ago, with an added 20yr time horizon (2030 completion to now 2050), and instead of BRT it's subway tech. Still doubt it'd be built in 30yrs, but regardless I'd rather ride a train up the 427 than a bus. In my mind that is.

Light metro is optimal for that. Naturally not going to put a mainline train along the 427, LRVs are inefficiently hefty and built for operating in traffic, a "heavy" metro means more capacity which this wouldn't need. So light metro it is. Alternatively it could be BRT, which is what this plan is based off of. It's the Big Move from 15yrs ago, with an added 20yr time horizon (2030 completion to now 2050), and instead of BRT it's subway tech. Still doubt it'd be built in 30yrs, but regardless I'd rather ride a train up the 427 than a bus. In my mind that is.
Honestly, the sense of weirdness isn't from the routes themselves, but the Ontario obsession with presenting things as through routed loops.

Treated as two really independent lines they really don't feel off at all.

Honestly, the sense of weirdness isn't from the routes themselves, but the Ontario obsession with presenting things as through routed loops.

Treated as two really independent lines they really don't feel off at all.

This is such a far-out concept that I wouldn't put too much faith in what it's proposing. That being said a line from Kipling was once conceived and even had a platform built in anticipation for it.

Speaking of which. I read a dreadful amount of whines in the past re: other lines and their transfers. Can't have a transfer in the same general direction, can't force people to change trains, nobody builds separate lines. What I see with the Kipling RT (which this replicates) is the Scarboro RT. Look how far west of Kipling Pearson is, and compare to how far north SC is from Kennedy. Seems odd that I haven't heard complaints about it this. Wouldn't they be demanding Line 2 be extended to Pearson instead of this forced transfer?

Its interesting to me that this plan is essentially turning the Ontario Line into the REM in terms of it's functionality.

Back