News   Jul 17, 2024
 209     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 865     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 546     0 

Ontario Budget Cut and Transit Expansion

Yes, most of it is in the form of loans. People didn't expect them to be paid back because of GM's poor state but now it seems increasingly likely that we will get most of the money back.

Isn't it actually equity in the company? I recall at the time thinking the amount of money they were putting in valued the company so high that their stake will never be worth what went into it.

The Transport Politic blog has a entry up on the cuts.

But what’s difficult to understand is how a city like Toronto can go from hailing the construction of a 120 km network to building one new light rail line by 2020. Is Mayor Miller the only politician who’s truly committed to improving the region’s transit systems? Or are others simply too scared to make the necessary decisions — whether that means the prioritization of specific lines or targeted tax increases — to make expansion possible?

Mr. McGuinty’s instructions to Metrolinx to choose how to spend more limited funds is a punting away of those difficult decisions, an unwillingness to accept the political consequences of doing what is necessary to build a better transit system. The willingness of many mayoral candidates to play along is less than helpful. Toronto’s citizens don’t want to forever be stuck with the same limited transit system they have today, do they?

There is no simple solution in the case of transit.

Which leads back to the argument: allow competition and see what solutions arrise.

Usually I'm very much against private-developed public transit. But in this case, I'm so fed up with our governments, let the private sector try building us some subways. It can't be worse than what we're getting now.

No company in their right mind is going to want to build a subway unless they're getting paid by the government to do so. And 'compete' - how? With what? You'll see some competition for tenders (if they're high enough) but it's not like you can except to see The Wal Mart Metro competing with the ExonMobil Express for your fare. It is never going to happen. There is no profit in it.

Saying that public transit needs 'privatization' and 'competition' is just using empty buzzwords. Public transit also needs 'synergy' and a 'paradigm shift' and 'value-added service'. These are all meaningless words.

Honestly at this point, I'm willing to try any idea, even if it ends up being a flop. Swanboats come to mind. Gondolas. Dragons. Teleporters.

I seriously think the focus needs to get on getting Metrolinx quasi-independent status in which it can levy road tolls, regional sales taxes, whatever it takes to fund its program without having to go to the government, and with the provincial and municipal politicians having credible deniability when those fees are implemented.

We also need the Board of Trade and other pro-business groups - who recently have been very supportive of transit - to push governments hard to make this happen.

Honestly at this point, I'm willing to try any idea, even if it ends up being a flop. Swanboats come to mind. Gondolas. Dragons. Teleporters.

Any idea, eh? We can start with that MT Transitway which you've expressed is a waste of funds in several other threads. Once it's functional, the Toronto area public can personally experience the quality of transit enjoyed by Ottawans for years, which hopefully will lead to the TTC adopting similar lines.

Why did they bother announcing them in the first place if they are just going to take it back? What a joke.

I agree... it's just pathetic. I've been in this city for 35 years+... and this just seems like more of the same. I'm very disappointed in the McGuinty government’s decision to cut back on these plans.

OT:

Any idea, eh? We can start with that MT Transitway which you've expressed is a waste of funds in several other threads. Once it's functional, the Toronto area public can personally experience the quality of transit enjoyed by Ottawans for years, which hopefully will lead to the TTC adopting similar lines.

The few individuals that would use it, anyways (and yes, that's coming from someone who live in Mississauga and being reasonably close to the western terminius of the line)

AoD

Back