848     4 

Official UT World Cup 2006 Thread

J

Jarrek

Make your picks here!

Germany over Costa Rica ... 4-1

Poland over Ecuador 2-1

Brazil to win it all (Again)

Ukraine to make it to the Quarter Finals :)

Ukraine to make it to the Quarter Finals
They might go farther than that. They were probably the best team during Europe group qualifications.
Look for Portugal to go far. That was a bitter pill to swallow at the Eurocup and these guys will want to make amends.

Costa Rica and Trinidad-Tobago qualify and Canada nowhere to be seen. Good Luck Toronto FC!

Argentina will break my heart (again), I just know it.

It should be a UrbanToronto mission to get at least one set of pictures showing local supporters from every team in the tournament.

It'd make a great book.

I'm hoping for multiwyliecultural video postings of all the parties!

^ That's right... those are my goals.

Unfortunately I don't think I can see the Polish community celebrate today, but I'm planning to hit a few World Cup neighbourhoods over the next few weeks, like Portugal/Brazil, Korea and Italy. Should be fun!

2nd Stage:
Argentina def. Germany
France def. Italy
England def. Mexico
Brazil def. Spain

3rd Stage:
France def. Argentina
England def. Brazil(!)

4th Stage:
England def. France

CAAAAAAAAARNNNNNNNN THE GREEN AND GOLD!!!

guns1.gif
banan2xt.gif
guns1.gif

I don't see Argentina defeating Germany. They were good, but by the second half they sat on their lead, and their defence was shaky at times. Riquelme, Saviola and Crispo had a good match, but again, it's that backfield that concerns me. If Messi gets off the bench, then all bets are off.

Nice comeback for Australia ... 3 goals in a span of 6 minutes ... all at the end of the game.

Brilliant.

US Getting their ass whopped as we speak.

1st weekend disappointments

Portugal - will not make it past the final 16
Sweden - good luck

I cant be the only Oranje fan on this forum? Regardless, good start for them yesterday with a 1-0 win. Here is hoping for much of the same in their next game!

Korea - brilliant comeback. They looked really sloppy 1st half, and picked up pace when Advocaat made 2nd half changes.

^^ Portugal is known for resting on their laurels in the first stages of a tournament. Once they "get into it" they're team to be feared.

The 1 goal against Angola was underwhelming but it was all they needed to win. Their defense was solid most of the game and Angola was never a real threat.

I'm looking forward to Portugal-Iran.

Brazil has the best players, but it is tough live up to the hype - I just dont see them winning it all.

France is going no-where - they are old has-beens (except Henry and he cant do it all). The czechs are all old too, but at least they have proven they can score.

Italy looks good - they are a traditional powerhouse and if you believe the 12 year rule they are due for an appearance in the final. Also I dont think the Serie A scandal will affect them, the scandal is more about influence peddling among refs - so you could argue it will hurt the home-field germans more. I root for them out of tradition, but it is hard to

Argentina is due too - and when you look at thier roster they are almost as stacked as the Brazilians

Germany is a dark-horse to win it. A much maligned version, no one was really taking germany to go far at the outset, but quietly winning games is what the Germans do. You sort of forget about them and then all of a sudden they are in the final.

The dutch look good (an who can't like their uniforms), but in the world cup - odds favour the big nations.

my final prediction:
Argentina beats Germany 2 to 1

Back