News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Oddfellows Hall 450 Yonge @ Carlton (?, 5s addition, ERA)

And that's the curious taketh-vs-giveth-away undercurrent here: the street-level ghost boutique mall serving as a smoke screen for the mothballing and endless rumours and uncertain future of the Carlu space. Then when they euthanized/subdivided the original street level space configuration, the Carlu came to be...

Since the College Park courts will probably be consolidated with the new Armoury Street complex, I wonder what'd happen to the space...

AoD

Since the College Park courts will probably be consolidated with the new Armoury Street complex, I wonder what'd happen to the space...

AoD

Funnily enough, going back to the future, it'd be an ideal place for a multistory Saks/Nordstrom/Simons-type operation. (Except that location's got the same problems that hindered Eaton's College: too far north from the retail centre of the action that Saks/Nordstrom has inevitably opted for, and too far south of Bloor's carriage-trade/luxury magnetism.)

Of course, it could also be added to the shortlist of Museum Of Toronto locational options.

We have a higher quality rendering from ERA Architects now, and will hope to have a full story on the addition and renovation in the near future.

OddfellowsGoldhue1280.jpg

Attachments

• OddfellowsGoldhue1280.jpg
    OddfellowsGoldhue1280.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 1,177
ERA have done some great work of late, I'm sure this project is in good hands. We could have just as easily ended up with a 45 storey spandrelfest condo here.

I honestly think this building should be renovated and left alone as is without any hideous addition.
The Glass slab addition will destroy the unique heritage features of this building. Do we really need to add to any building in the city?

Let's stop destroying the few distinct heritage buildings in this city in the name of re-development !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ERA have done some great work of late, I'm sure this project is in good hands. We could have just as easily ended up with a 45 storey spandrelfest condo here.
That's exactly what I was going to point out. This theoretically could've been the facade for an uninspiring condo built right on top of this gem of a building (for example: the garbage that's currently being built behind the oddfellows building).

I honestly think this building should be renovated and left alone as is without any hideous addition.
The Glass slab addition will destroy the unique heritage features of this building. Do we really need to add to any building in the city?

Let's stop destroying the few distinct heritage buildings in this city in the name of re-development !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44 exclamation marks. That must be some sort of record.

Any update on this?

No update, other than to say that with YC there it's going to be an awfully tight space for construction. I'm not sure how they'd make it work. Maybe close a lane on Yonge and use that for a crane?
Photo 2017-05-23, 6 23 05 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 2017-05-23, 6 23 05 PM.jpg
    Photo 2017-05-23, 6 23 05 PM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 649
Apparently the building still has an old-fashioned elevator in it- are they keeping that?

Back