News   Apr 26, 2024
 98     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 232     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 419     0 

Oddfellows Hall 450 Yonge @ Carlton (?, 5s addition, ERA)

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1W9

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 251851 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Nov 14, 2014

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Demolition

Description: To demolish the existing shed attached to the existing four storey multi-use building.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the shed would be the item that's got the red pin on it.

AppleMap450SE.jpg

Source: Apple Maps

Attachments

• AppleMap450SE.jpg
    AppleMap450SE.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 1,425
The only thing that makes sense to me is that the shed would be the item that's got the red pin on it.

From the City property map it appears that there is a 'courtyard' behind the building (almost directly below your red pin where the building 'jogs in'. (The building footprint is shown on these maps). I guess there is a shed in this (tiny?) courtyard and they want to demolish it and build up 4 floors from ground level - maybe an elevator??)

Closing in that little courtyard would make sense. If they can upgrade the elevator and/or mechanical to help extend the lifetime of the building I'm all for it. That part of the building is going to be completely obstructed by YC Condos anyway

From the City property map it appears that there is a 'courtyard' behind the building (almost directly below your red pin where the building 'jogs in'. (The building footprint is shown on these maps). I guess there is a shed in this (tiny?) courtyard and they want to demolish it and build up 4 floors from ground level - maybe an elevator??)

Yup, its an elevator shaft

450 YONGE ST
File Number: A1162/14TEY Zoning CR 3.0(c2.0; r3.0) SS1 & CR
T3.0 C2.0 R3.0 (PPR)
Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale (27)
Property Address: 450 YONGE ST Community: Toronto
Legal Description: PLAN 159 LOTS A & B
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To alter the existing four-storey mixed use building by constructing a new elevator shaft and stair overrun.

But if it didn't meet code, it would technically be grandfathered, no?

I thought they are legally obliged to meet the code if they were to do any significant renovations, even if it is grandfathered? Plus it might very well be something that would add value to the property.

AoD

"Oh, sorry that your wheel chair doesn't fit into the elevator. Paraplegics aren't allowed upstairs because this building is historic"

I don't think it should be an either or - where possible, accessibility should be maximized, but it shouldn't be done to the extent to wrecking a building's heritage character (which isn't the case here). Imagine trying to make the Leaning Tower of Pisa accessible? It would have made no sense.

AoD

Back