News   Mar 28, 2024
 21     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 342     0 

November 2020 US Election

If mass deaths at 100x the toll of 9/11 doesn't convince the rest of them, nothing will. My guess is that whole MAGA/2A/Jesus crowd fundamentally doesn't care whether the US is a democracy - what they want is any system that will consolidate and ring fence their hold on power. A meaningless performative vote every 4 years would suit them just fine.

Sometimes there are fundamental, irreconcilable differences that cannot, and should not be bridged - you don't try and find common ground with white supremacists in this day and age; you don't try and find common ground with someone who insist that the Earth is flat and that the government is trying to convince you otherwise, etc.

AoD
The Jesuslanders could live in a theocracy and be happy with it.

Speaking of which, there is no point arguing with Flat-Earthers, creationists, white supremacists, misogynists, and homophobes. No amount of evidence can change their ways, no matter how irrefutable. Confirmation bias and belief perseverance are very strong and many of whom have the true-believer syndrome as a result.

I guess those were all completely fair points bought up. I was talking more so about finding common ground in classic Liberal vs. Conservative that both sides can agree on.

However, I would never try and see the point of conspiracy theorists and radical thinkers, don't want to do too much "research" and end up as one of them. Not sure my brain has the mental capacity to counter the brainwashing and psychological tricks these groups employ.

If mass deaths at 100x the toll of 9/11 doesn't convince the rest of them, nothing will. My guess is that whole MAGA/2A/Jesus crowd fundamentally doesn't care whether the US is a democracy - what they want is any system that will consolidate and ring fence their hold on power. A meaningless performative vote every 4 years would suit them just fine. Just look at the degree to which blatant electoral malfeasance is being cheered upon and practiced - these are not what anyone with a love for democracy can ever condone.

There are plenty of Americans who didn't vote. There are plenty of those who voted for Trump out of habit for voting Republican. And many of those folks are regreting their action or inaction because of the current crises. That is reflected in the polls. 20 million Americans losing healthcare and many more losing pre-existing coverage would reinforce lessons against apathy quite well. Would also show a good bit of the Republican Party that simply politicking for the sake of it can get them into trouble.

I bet that the majority of Americans would want free universal healthcare given the pandemic.
Many of them already thought they had it, until they lost their jobs.

It is nutty that in the USA anyone who is/was in the military and anyone over 65 gets government healthcare, but anyone outside of this group that wants it is a communist.

The American health care system is tied up with the insurance industry; there's a word of difference between how that operates and how our system works. I know very few Americans who are ready for actual universal healthcare -- which of course isn't free, we all pay for it.

Just do what they are doing in sport stadiums using "seat fillers".

b8d996c5-0fd3-49a0-b003-3dbcb557c6f4-AFP_AFP_1QY4YB.jpg

From link.

Rolling Stones warn Trump not to use their songs - or face legal action

28 June 2020

The Rolling Stones have warned US President Donald Trump that he could face legal action if he continues using their songs at his campaign rallies.

A statement from the band's legal team said it was working with the performing rights organisation, the BMI, to stop the unauthorised use of their music.

The Trump campaign used the song You Can't Always Get What You Want at last week's rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

The same song was used by the Trump campaign during the 2016 US election.

"The Rolling Stones do not endorse Donald Trump," the band tweeted in 2016.

In a statement released on Saturday, representatives for the group said that "further steps to exclude" Mr Trump from using Rolling Stones material in future presidential campaigning was necessary after previous "cease and desist directives" had been ignored.

The BMI has reportedly notified the Trump campaign on behalf of the Stones that the use of their songs without permission will constitute a breach of its licensing agreement, and would be subject to legal action.

Rolling Stones: Richard Wagner's music is always available for use if you want to use music in your rallies, Mr. Oompa-Loompa! Please use Wagner's music instead. We heard that his music doesn't require licensing or any kind of permission since he's dead for well over a century.

Trump: I prefer your music. Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries makes it too obvious that I'm the next Hitler.

Rolling Stones: Dude, it's Ride of the Valkyries, not Flight of the Valkyries. After all, you can't always get what you want.

Trump: Whatever.

Last edited:
Anyone think Trump may call it quits rather than face defeat in November? Pence takes over as POTUS, immediately issues A federal pardon for Trump (doesn’t protect him at the state level). I think the GOP in Congress would much rather contest the November election with Pence. They’d still likely lose to Biden (Trump won’t quit if he thinks Pence can win, since he’d be seen as a bigger loser), but maybe not lose the Senate.

IMO, the GOP is increasingly thinking of 2024 and 2028, not 2020 And what they’re beginning to see as a coming washout.

Last edited:
Anyone think Trump may call it quits rather than face defeat in November? Pence takes over as POTUS, immediately issues A federal pardon for Trump (doesn’t protect him at the state level). I think the GOP in Congress would much rather contest the November election with Pence. They’d still likely lose to Biden (Trump won’t quit if he thinks Pence can win, since he’d be seen as a bigger loser), but maybe not lose the Senate.

IMO, the GOP is increasingly thinking of 2024 and 2028, not 2020 And what they’re beginning to see as a coming washout.
I was wondering how that would work in light of the whole primary process and electoral college.

This article covers the various time periods between the November election and swearing in.

This one covers the primary and nomination period

Back