News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 644     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

November 2020 US Election

The polls for Donald Trump are grim. But if voter preference decided U.S. elections, Hillary Clinton would have won the presidency by almost 3 million ballots. Presidential elections can be gamed—and late yesterday night, events came together to reveal how the Trump administration hopes to game 2020.

Attorney General William Barr announced the “resignation” of the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York. Geoffrey Berman had prosecuted Trump associates and brought to light much Trump wrongdoing, including important elements of the quid-pro-quo scheme with the Ukrainian state that got Trump impeached in 2019.

That same Friday, BuzzFeed won a freedom-of-information lawsuit to obtain redacted portions of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report. Mueller’s report had concluded: “Beginning in June 2016, former Campaign member Roger Stone forecast to senior Campaign officials that WikiLeaks would release information damaging to candidate Clinton.” But the details supporting that charge were suppressed. Now we have them, and it looks as though Trump personally directed his campaign chair Paul Manafort to keep in touch with Stone for advance details of WikiLeaks.

Finally, also yesterday, The Washington Post reported that fewer than 200 polling places will be open for the Kentucky primary on June 23, rather than the usual 3,700. Kentucky’s vote-by-mail system is breaking down under the weight of requests for advance ballots. The impending chaos will bear especially heavily on Kentucky’s African American voters. Voters in Louisville—a 20 percent black county—will all have to vote at one polling station, the city’s convention center, likely to face crushingly long lines. The primary is not a formality: Kentucky Democrats face a contentious Senate choice. Louisville is the city where police killed Breonna Taylor. Anger about that shooting has propelled the rise of a competitor to Amy McGrath, the candidate favored by national Democrats. If McGrath, who is white, defeats State Representative Charles Booker, who is black, in a primary marred by obstacles to black voting, that could well splinter Kentucky Democrats, demobilize the state’s black vote in November, and assure the easy reelection of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

These three developments suggest the three components of the Trump endgame for 2020:

1) Attack the independence and integrity of the legal system;

2) benefit from foreign help and trust that by the time the help is proved, it will be stale news of scant interest to anybody; and

3) benefit from voting obstacles, particularly those that will impede black voting, and super-particularly those that will wedge apart the Democratic coalition on racial lines. (The Trump administration is not directly to blame for the coming mess in Kentucky—states manage elections—but it clearly relishes such situations.)

It was extremely funny reading the comments section of TikToks with Gen Z explaining why they weren't able to attend. Among my favourites are:

"I bought 80 tickets. Too bad I had to vacuum my pool."
"I died this morning just before we were about to leave"
"I would've went but my horses battery died"
"Oh no! I missed it because I had to sort my plates by alphabetical order!"

'We're tired of waiting': GenZ is ready for a revolution

Mon June 22, 2020

"We were the generation that grew up post-9/11 in a country filled with violence," said Corin, who is one of the founding members of March For Our Lives, a student-run gun violence prevention organization founded in the wake of the Parkland shooting.

Born between the years of 1996 and 2010, GenZers have grown up in an era where gun violence is frequent, immigration is a hotly debated topic and the deteriorating climate is acknowledged as a crisis. They are now coming of age during a global pandemic that is disproportionately affecting black and brown communities, and as protesters take to the streets to call out racism and police brutality.

One in 10 eligible voters this November will be a member of GenZ.

Certain members of GenZ, including Corin, are adamant that the time for revolution -- in the streets, online and at the polls -- is now. They believe that they are uniquely positioned to affect change because of social media and the way it unites the generation.

-----------

By the numbers

GenZ is the most racially and ethnically diverse generation yet. According to Pew Research, only a slight majority (52%) of post-millennials are non-Hispanic white, compared to a larger majority (61%) for millennials 10 years earlier.

Some experts suggested that GenZ is particularly accepting because of the way that diversity has been normalized within their generation since birth.

"This generation has grown up in a world that is considerably different than GenX, even Millennials. They've had friends, families, relationships with people who have been different than you based on whatever the difference is: socioeconomic, gender identity, and therefore, they've noticed that those friends and family members, even acquaintances are really no different than you as a generation. That is part of the reason they've been filled with so much empathy," John Della Volpe, director of polling at the Harvard Kennedy School's Institute of Politics, told CNN.

That is part of the reason they've been filled with so much empathy," John Della Volpe, director of polling at the Harvard Kennedy School's Institute of Politics, told CNN.

It's an abundance of apathy not empathy that will reduce this generation's voting influence. If 1/10 of American voters are from this generation I suggest they'll make up 1/50 of actual voters. It's not their fault, they're young, and the young don't vote.

We also assume that young people vote for progressive candidates. This cannot be guaranteed. As a young man myself in the 1980s and early 90s I always voted conservative, voting for Mulroney, Harper and Harris. As I aged my views changed, and now I find myself voting for Trudeau and Horvath, which as a young person I would never have considered.

Pence and his wife voted by mail in Indiana GOP primary using old address

From link.

Vice President Pence and his wife, Karen Pence, voted by mail in Indiana earlier this year using the address of the Indiana governor’s mansion, Business Insider reported.

The couple mailed in their ballots for the June GOP primary in their home state of Indiana on April 13, according to voter files obtained by the outlet. They used the address of the governor’s mansion in Indianapolis, where they have not lived since December 2016, when they transitioned to Washington, D.C.

It is not illegal for the Pences to use their previous address to vote by mail. They remain registered to vote in Indiana.

Pence's press secretary Devin O'Malley said in a statement to The Hill that the Pences do not own another home in Indiana, so the governor's mansion remains their "legally correct" address for registration.

The revelation comes as the Trump administration continues to raise issues with states across the country that have expanded mail-in ballot options this year in an effort to protect voters amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The vice president also voted absentee by mail for the primary and general election in 2018, according to The New York Times.

President Trump voted by mail in Florida’s March Republican primary. He changed his address last year from New York to Florida.

Trump said there is a difference between voting by mail while living outside one’s home state and voting by mail while living in the state where one is registered to vote.

Several other Trump administration and campaign officials have also voted by mail. White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany has voted by mail 11 times since 2010, the Tampa Bay Times reported in May.

Brad Parscale, Trump’s campaign manager, submitted his vote by mail in 2018.

The president has regularly complained about mail-in voting. He launched another attack against the process Monday, claiming without evidence that ballots will be printed by foreign countries “and others.”

He also tweeted that mail-in ballots would cause the 2020 election to be the “most RIGGED” in U.S. history “unless this stupidity is ended.”

Twitter earlier this year fact-checked two of the president’s tweets for the first time after he claimed that California planned to send mail-in ballots to all residents of the state.

Actually, as a primary, it'd be this upcoming week, not November. (In this kind of CD, once you score the Dem nomination, election in November is all but guaranteed.)

For the record, I read that an AOC-commissioned May poll gave her a 73%-11% lead--take from that what you will; yes, things may tighten, but this is really more the equivalent of, in Toronto terms, a strong NDP city-councillor incumbent being challenged by an establishment Liberal. And from what I gather, there's less likelihood of AOC being ousted than of another establishment NYC congressional Dem (Elliot Engel) being ousted by an AOC-style progressive; so, one step further to the left, then...

And I was right: AOC won her primary in a landslide, and Engel lost (and Carolyn Maloney's in danger, too)

Last edited:
Best coverage of the US political scene that I find on regular cable TV is BBC and PBS. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/latest

Whenever I watch CNN I’m disgusted by the sarcasm, dismissive quips and bias of even their top newsreaders. Only Wolf Blitzer tries to give us just the news.

CNN has its own biases but for anyone to claim Fox News and CNN are on the same level when it comes to propaganda is bewildering. This is equivalent to Trump’s “good people on both sides”

News has become entertainment but so has politics. It is all garbage.

Back