News   Jul 15, 2024
 182     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 620     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Another modelling study put out by someone, this time for NYC.

I don't have the time right now to dig deep.

But I'll say this, if he's right...........@#$@ is about hit the fan.

He's estimating that NYC will be out of hospital bed capacity in only 4 days.

If he's fearmongering that would irresponsible; if he's right, its a disaster.

1584680854756.png

Some of the Canadian modeling isn’t all that great either, though less dire. One early takeaway seems to be over reliance on containment coupled with the low testing rates and overly stringent criteria meant community transmission get missed.

AoD

SMH...

US students party on spring break despite coronavirus

Crowds of US university students flocked to Florida for their Spring break, defying recommendations from the CDC and federal government over the new coronavirus.

A problematic issue- is it possible to trust China's numbers, given the CCP's insistence at dissociating itself from the epidemic (along with its suppression of independent Chinese reporters/scientists during the Wuhan quarantine)?

This is a dilemma- reporting the CCP-announced numbers without question basically gives them legitimacy in their global PR fight (no doubt they are closely following US numbers), but there is no independently-verified count otherwise. More importantly, have the CCP's numbers been used as a consideration for public responses in some countries?

Who really cares whether their numbers are truly accurate or not - the issue at hand is the problem facing Italy and other countries. China is already winning the PR fight by emerging on the other side of the curve, while the US exposes itself as the emperor without the clothes on by its utter inability to marshall a national response to the crisis - never mind downplaying the risk for political reasons in the first place.

AoD

Last edited:
China is already winning the PR
For the second time in my lifetime, China has inadvertently launched what‘s essentially a viral WMD against both itself and the world through its unique combination of inept totalitarianism and ridiculous cultural and mysticism-based animal/meat handling practices, and then silenced and likely terrorized those brave scientists and health officials who tried to warn them. Don‘t be distracted by every Canadian‘s knee jerk reaction to focus on the fool in the White House, this is China’s mess and history must hold them to account.

Last edited:
Recovering COVID-19 patient describes what it was like to have the virus

David Anzarouth is going public to persuade others to take the novel coronavirus seriously

David Anzarouth knew it could happen to anyone but never thought it would happen to him.

The fit 25-year-old living in Toronto didn't worry about taking his vacation to South Beach in Miami, Fla., in early March.

But 10 days later, he found himself sitting in an isolated emergency room at Toronto General Hospital, wearing a mask and feeling "the most incredible pain that I've ever experienced" as he was tested for COVID-19.

Nearly $1M in funding for Western to start work on COVID-19 vaccine

LONDON, ONT. -- A team of researchers at Western University is starting work on a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 – the virus that causes COVID-19.

Stephen Barr, associate professor at Western's Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, said in a statement that in the case of outbreaks like this it's important to work collaboratively with labs across Canada.

“An effective vaccine will have a tremendous impact on stopping the spread of the virus or alleviating the symptoms of the disease in infected individuals.”

A 'vaccine bank' could also then be established to rapidly handle future outbreaks of different strains of the coronavirus.

Western is home to Canada's newest Containment Level 3 facility, which will allow researchers to work safely.

The team will build on the work of Schulich Professor Chil-Yong Kang, who developed the widely lauded base for an HIV vaccine and has been working on a vaccine for MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) – which highly related to the COVID-19.

'Stay home,' urges widow of 51-year-old Ontario man who died of COVID-19

Published Thursday, March 19, 2020 10:06PM EDT

TORONTO -- As COVID-19 spreads through Canada and infects hundreds of people, the widow of a 51-year-old Ontario man who died of the disease is urging Canadians to listen to health officials to prevent the spread of the virus and whenever possible stay at home.

“I think that people aren’t taking this seriously enough,” Teri Cunnington told CTV News from her home in Milton, Ont. “

For the second time in my lifetime, China has inadvertently launched what‘s essentially a viral WMD against both itself and the world through its unique combination of inept totalitarianism and ridiculous cultural and mysticism-based animal/meat handling practices, and then silenced and likely terrorized those brave scientists and health officials who tried to warn them. Don‘t be distracted by every Canadian‘s knee jerk reaction to focus on the fool in the White House, this is China’s mess and history must hold them to account.

That's bullsh*t. China certainly has some answering to regarding the initial secrecy and how the virus originated- but the utter public health policy failure belongs to the countries where it is currently spreading rampantly. Leaders, policy makers and the general public in said country have ample warning by example - they simply chose not to heed them.

It would be like the world blaming the US for a virus that managed to spread globally in 1918. No one can save you if you don't prepare your country for pandemics seriously, cut public health and health care in general, and then blame someone else for not saving your bacon. Just look at the London tube a few days ago.

AoD

Last edited:
That's bullsh*t. China certainly has some answering to regarding the initial secrecy and how the virus originated- but the utter public health policy failure belongs to the countries where it is currently spreading rampantly.
Sounds like victim blaming to me. If my house catches fire because of my negligence and the resulting conflagration burns down my neighbour's house and they died because they didn't have a home escape plan, sure they could have been more prepared, but their lives are still on me.

Back