News   Jul 15, 2024
 334     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 477     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I know people who are very productive working from home.

I don't think I am one of them and it is largely a mindset thing. I associate work with work, and home as personal life. In the past, I mitigated this by going to the local Starbucks or coffee shop if I needed to work from "home". That isn't an option in this scenario.

There are lots of socialization going on the in the workplace - things gets done faster working from home, but complex decision-making suffers a bit. And I am not sad to see meetings getting cut down to a minimum.

The lack of a commute also translates into additional zzzz time for me - I think it's good healthwise, and I certainly don't feel as frustrated on a day-to-day basis.

AoD

While Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, are temporary stopping production and shutting down. Toyota is acting like there is nothing going on in the world. My friend works there, his FB posts about Toyota failing to protect its workers are sickening. About a day ago they even had overtime planned!

So now that a worker has tested positive they are going to shut down...... for only two days. :rolleyes:

What are they doing this for? I can't imagine there are many people out there shopping for a new vehicle in these circumstances.

And as a personal aside, Toyota makes some of the blandest cars imaginable. I never seriously consider them when in the market for something.

I know people who are very productive working from home.

I don't think I am one of them and it is largely a mindset thing. I associate work with work, and home as personal life. In the past, I mitigated this by going to the local Starbucks or coffee shop if I needed to work from "home". That isn't an option in this scenario.

I really like working from home. Looks like I should get used to it.

This part is that American Exceptionalism...........the genuine belief, firmly held and reinforced by media all the time, that "We're number 1! "; "We're the best!"

I'm as patriotic as they come, root for the home team, etc. and feel that having a positive attitude about your country/province/town is a healthy thing. What I've never understood is supporting the 'we're number one' viewpoint by denigrating others. The prevailing attitude down south seems to be that they have the purest form of democracy and personal freedom that has ever existed, and will ever exist, and that all others are shite. They have always been suspicious of 'foreigners', treaties and international bodies, an attitude that the current administration has raised to an artform (along with beating up on its own institutions). I have seen articles that say the level of international cooperation against this virus is no where near that of previous pandemics.

I've spent a lot of time in the US, I have family and good friends there, and I hope to spend time in the future whenever we can travel again, but this ^^^^ is why I could never live there.

I'm as patriotic as they come, root for the home team, etc. and feel that having a positive attitude about your country/province/town is a healthy thing. What I've never understood is supporting the 'we're number one' viewpoint by denigrating others. The prevailing attitude down south seems to be that they have the purest form of democracy and personal freedom that has ever existed, and will ever exist, and that all others are shite. They have always been suspicious of 'foreigners', treaties and international bodies, an attitude that the current administration has raised to an artform (along with beating up on its own institutions). I have seen articles that say the level of international cooperation against this virus is no where near that of previous pandemics.

I think we need to make some distinctions here.

I'm not knocking a certain pride in one's area/region/state/province/country.

I'm knocking a myopic world view informed by ignorance, and blind to reality.

To be clear this is certainly not the case for every American, by any means.

Further, where held, its rarely a view held in active malice.

Rather, its one of an honest belief that they live in the best country in the world, ever; one which does little wrong, and nothing that isn't 'right-er' than everyone else.

Yet this is a position informed by a nation where people speak fewer languages and travel less to foreign countries than most others in the developed world.

As at 2018, a mere 42% of Americans held a passport...............as compared with 66% of Canadians. (though that American number is rising quickly)

Another stat.

64% of Americans have never left the United States. That compares with 15% of Canadians having never left Canada.

The typical Canadian has visited 5 foreign countries in their lifetime.

It just skews one's entire world view.

What are they doing this for? I can't imagine there are many people out there shopping for a new vehicle in these circumstances.

And as a personal aside, Toyota makes some of the blandest cars imaginable. I never seriously consider them when in the market for something.

Too many profits over people companies out there. When this is over i sure as hell hope the government will give all workers even more more health and safety standards and more protections from their employer.

I have seen people defend the price gouging that is going on (Staples is now charging over $100 for a bottle of Dettol that used to be about $10) as simply supply and demand.

I think they are about to find out just how misplaced their sense of manifest destiny in a short while.

AoD

While Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, are temporary stopping production and shutting down. Toyota is acting like there is nothing going on in the world. My friend works there, his FB posts about Toyota failing to protect its workers are sickening. About a day ago they even had overtime planned!

So now that a worker has tested positive they are going to shut down...... for only two days. :rolleyes:

This was posted on Facebook by an employee.

I am an employee at the Cambridge plant for Toyota motor Manufacturing Canada. Last night on March 18, 2020 at 11 PM our plant was evacuated and we were informed that we have a confirmed case of Covid 19 in our maintenance staff... ..at 4:30 AM our day shift began pouring in it was business as usual... ...there has been no information given to any of the employees on how to conduct themselves other than to show up to work and if you don’t you’ll be charged one of your three personal days that you have for the year... I have never worked for a company in my life that cares so little about the employees on the floor. They only care about the bottom line. Let that sink in for a minute. We have 8000 employees who in someway or another will interact with each other. We have small businesses in our community shutting down to do their part but yet one of the biggest employers in the area only sees the bottom line. Shame on you Toyota. I am calling on all Toyota workers to sign a union card if for no other reason to have a system in place to keep us informed and our interest at the forefront. If for no other reason to hold them accountable for their actions on our day-to-day business.... ..I do not feel safe being around so many people at this time especially when our government is asking us not to..This has me completely stressed out I am not a young man and have A compromised immune system... ....now I’m being told that I have to show up for my shift or disciplinary action can be taken... I am totally ashamed of the company I work for and cannot believe they will put their employees and all others that we interact with in our area at risk..... .shame on you Toyota

Second COVID-19-related death in Ontario believed to be linked to 'local transmission'

Published Thursday, March 19, 2020 10:40AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, March 19, 2020 4:38PM EDT

TORONTO -- Health officials believe the second COVID-19-related death in Ontario was linked to “local transmission,” as the man in his 50s had no recent travel history outside of Canada and was not a close contact of any known cases of the virus.

The Milton, Ont. man, who had an underlying health condition, was initially admitted to a hospital in his hometown on March 11 before being transferred to an Oakville, Ont. hospital exactly one week later.

On March 18, the day he was transferred, he died at 10:15 a.m.

His diagnosis of COVID-19 was confirmed to be positive at 9 p.m. that same day.

Coronavirus death toll in Italy surpasses 3,400, overtaking China’s

Posted March 19, 2020 1:32 pm

Italy’s death toll from coronavirus overtook that of China, where the virus first emerged, on Thursday as hospitals said they were being overwhelmed and the government prepared to prolong emergency lockdown measures.

A total 427 deaths were registered in Italy over the past 24 hours, bringing the total nationwide tally to 3,405 since the outbreak surfaced on Feb. 21. China has recorded 3,245 deaths since early January.

However, Italy has far fewer confirmed cases – 41,035 as of Thursday against 80,907 in China.

Officials and experts believe the total number of infections here is significantly higher, with testing largely limited to those arriving for hospital care. The country’s large, elderly population, who are particularly vulnerable to the virus, is also seen as factor for the high number of fatalities.

This article link is somewhat Off Topic. But bare with me. We've been discussing the situation in the U.S. and recently, of course, here as well, noting how deficiencies in healthcare coverage or employment standards are among those things that may contribute to bad personal health outcomes, but also the spread of pandemic.

As such, CBC reporter Lauren Pelley re-tweeted a story about a fellow reporter discussing have her baby right now and that led me read said woman's article on the state of maternal healthcare in Texas.

One of the most depressing reads ever................1/3 of women of reproductive age have no health insurance in Texas.............what could go wrong..........?

This is the reporter's personal story:

Last edited:
This was posted on Facebook by an employee.

I am an employee at the Cambridge plant for Toyota motor Manufacturing Canada. Last night on March 18, 2020 at 11 PM our plant was evacuated and we were informed that we have a confirmed case of Covid 19 in our maintenance staff... ..at 4:30 AM our day shift began pouring in it was business as usual... ...there has been no information given to any of the employees on how to conduct themselves other than to show up to work and if you don’t you’ll be charged one of your three personal days that you have for the year... I have never worked for a company in my life that cares so little about the employees on the floor. They only care about the bottom line. Let that sink in for a minute. We have 8000 employees who in someway or another will interact with each other. We have small businesses in our community shutting down to do their part but yet one of the biggest employers in the area only sees the bottom line. Shame on you Toyota. I am calling on all Toyota workers to sign a union card if for no other reason to have a system in place to keep us informed and our interest at the forefront. If for no other reason to hold them accountable for their actions on our day-to-day business.... ..I do not feel safe being around so many people at this time especially when our government is asking us not to..This has me completely stressed out I am not a young man and have A compromised immune system... ....now I’m being told that I have to show up for my shift or disciplinary action can be taken... I am totally ashamed of the company I work for and cannot believe they will put their employees and all others that we interact with in our area at risk..... .shame on you Toyota

Bit of good news here, the pressure brought by employees like this one, and people like you amplifying their concerns has had an impact.

2 hours ago, Toyota announced it will shutter its North American plants for at least 2 weeks; and give workers full-pay during that time.

Back