News   Jul 15, 2024
 174     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Maybe you build up a resistance? My dentist has lovely hands, and I see him wash them so I know he does! They are going to have to start sharing their tricks.

An emergency may well justify such intrusion; but the notion of just how easy it is for the government to snoop if so inclined should be a cause for reflection at some point down the road.

I have been interested in some of the responses I have seen from south if the border. Admittedly, I make no claim that what I see is statistically or factually representative of the population, but many feel that the restrictions in place are constitutional overreach, their healthcare system is best placed to deal with it and price inflation/gouging is simply the free market in action. Some reference 'give me liberty or give me death'; that it is better to die free than live under government-imposed restrictions. Of course, facing the reaper would no doubt change their view.

The level of distrust of anything said or done by government in the US has always surprised me. Some absolutely hate their government beyond what is literally written in their Constitution in the 1770s.

The level of distrust of anything said or done by government in the US has always surprised me. Some absolutely hate their government beyond what is literally written in their Constitution in the 1770s.

Except a good chunk of them actually are the most dependent on government - and I give you:

It's all sh*ts and giggles until you find out that he can vote.

AoD

Except a good chunk of them actually are the most dependent on government - and I give you:

It's all sh*ts and giggles until you find out that he can vote.

AoD

It gets better...............love this quote.

“I got a letter the other day from a woman. She said, ‘I don’t want government-run health care. I don’t want socialized medicine. And don’t touch my Medicare.’”

or this one

Someone reportedly told Inglis, “Keep your government hands off my Medicare.”
“I had to politely explain that, ‘Actually, sir, your health care is being provided by the government,’” Inglis told the Post. “But he wasn’t having any of it.”

I have been interested in some of the responses I have seen from south if the border. Admittedly, I make no claim that what I see is statistically or factually representative of the population, but many feel that the restrictions in place are constitutional overreach, their healthcare system is best placed to deal with it "

This part is that American Exceptionalism...........the genuine belief, firmly held and reinforced by media all the time, that "We're number 1! "; "We're the best!"

I explained to an American just the other day who I know though another online forum, "Yes, you do have some of the very best hospitals in the world, but most Americans will never have access to those, as they, insured or otherwise can't afford it, and if they could, they couldn't afford to travel out of town/state to where those facilities are"; "Having the best on your soil does not mean its available to all or most Americans".

Its not unlike Americans going "We're the richest!" and you have to point out that yes, your 0.1% is richer than our 0.1%; but your median, as-lived experience is poorer. Its one of those things that people have trouble reconciling, in part because they don't actually deep-dive data; and if they do, they don't know the difference between mean, median and mode.........

Though, hey, in fairness, in the current circumstance, I saw someone on television bring up a graph the other day that they asserted showed an exponential increase in cases of Covid in a given jurisdiction. I looked, I looked harder, pinched myself........and then shook my head.....the graph showed logarithmic growth, not exponential. For the life of me, this was on TV..........but apparently no one thought to look up what the difference in the terms was; or recognized the graph showed the opposite of what they were saying............... sigh.

"and price inflation/gouging is simply the free market in action. Some reference 'give me liberty or give me death'; that it is better to die free than live under government-imposed restrictions.

But they can't get their head around why the fire department needs to be a public service that doesn't check your fire insurance before responding.......... you don't suppose the fire could spread, do you?

Last edited:
Isn't Uber and Lyft closed down?

Just the *pooled* rides, it seems. From TFA:

These services match different passengers headed in the same direction so they can ride together and spread the cost. Uber’s offering is called UberPool, and Lyft’s is known as Shared Rides. Encouraging strangers to get into vehicles together is likely to be frowned upon as authorities try to keep people more than six feet away from each other.

Uber and Lyft’s regular ride-hailing services and Uber’s food delivery will still be available, the companies said. Uber said Monday it would waive delivery fees for independent restaurants.

My Italian friend has posted that they are expected to be on lockdown until July. They also posted that the government will start monitoring activity via cell phones. I heard on CBC radio yesterday that this is already being done in Israel. If you are somewhere you shouldn’t be, you hear about it. Of course, people will get smart and just leave their phones at home while they are breaking the rules.
A good rule I have adopted if I have to go out to the store, is to just leave the cell phone at home. One less distraction and source of contamination.

Wow, this thread is already at 63 pages. I came here with a theory and I’m not sure if it’s already been raised.

Theory: A Stanford study demonstrated that working from home boosts productivity. Companies are going to discover that their employees’ productivity has gone up working from home over the next many months and given that they’re going to have to create systems to to make this the new (albeit temporary) normal, many companies are just going to keep them in place and maintain the new status quo – or at least continue to offer the option.

As a result, this pandemic is going to change the face of office towers the world over. Office vacancies are going to skyrocket. I wouldn’t bet on any outstanding office towers being built in Toronto.

Will they even finish 160 Front St West, currently under construction? Are we going to get another Bay-Adelaide Street Stump? Very possible. Union Square starting? Not a chance. I can even see some of the existing office space being converted into residential condos.

We’re in a new world. There’s absolutely going to be a paradigm shift. All bets are off.

Unfortunate for a lot who feel a form of independence going to work every day. Work life, home life...worlds collide.

1584634871642.jpeg

I know people who are very productive working from home.

I don't think I am one of them and it is largely a mindset thing. I associate work with work, and home as personal life. In the past, I mitigated this by going to the local Starbucks or coffee shop if I needed to work from "home". That isn't an option in this scenario.

Back