930     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I'll pull the underlying tweet forward for everyone:

1626539465292.png

Nobody could have predicted this? 60 thousand unmasked people, crammed together like sardines, Now the UK has over 50 thousand COVID cases a day. :rolleyes:

U.K. daily infections top 50,000 days before virus rules eased​

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-k-daily-infections-top-50-000-days-before-virus-rules-eased-1.5511517

COVID-19 travel rules: Vaccine passport could be required to go to restaurants, events in Quebec this fall

From link.
As COVID-19 restrictions across Canada are starting to loosen, the Quebec government has indicated that if cases start to rise again in the fall, the province will implement a digital vaccine passport requirement for people to access a number of non-essential services.

"If and only if the situation deteriorates, rather than closing sectors of activity, it would be necessary to be doubly vaccinated to access certain activities," Christian Dubé, Minister of Health and Social Services, said at a press conference last week.
These non-essential activities include gyms, team sports, bars, restaurants, arts and entertainment, festivals, and stadium events. The provincial government has also indicated that employers will not be able to require a vaccine passport as part of hiring criteria.

"How it will be used will depend on changes in the epidemiological situation and on vaccine coverage in Québec," the information from the province reads.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said the federal government plans to introduce a vaccine passport on a national level for international travel purposes. Currently, Canadians can upload a picture of their proof of vaccination through the ArriveCAN app to be exempt from 14-day quarantine rule for travellers.

The prime minister indicated in June that the federal government is working with provinces on a national, digital certification of vaccine status that will be "easily accepted around the world" this fall.

"The provinces, of course, have your health data and your vaccination status, and we want to make sure we’re both protecting privacy and protecting jurisdictions," Trudeau said.

I'll pull the underlying tweet forward for everyone:

View attachment 335585
After months of every opposition party and media outlets hyping up a vaccine crisis (adding to the country’s fear and anxiety), we’re pretty much where the government said we would be from the beginning. Of course there will be no apologies, no reflection, and no desire to do better.

A few observations to share.

Pre-Amble, I decided today that I just needed to get out...................so I decided to take in a movie down at Scotiabank. One thing about the pandemic, all seating is reservable at Cineplex, which means you can see real-time seating diagrams., which gives you a great idea of crowding etc.

At any rate...........

Cinema: Not really busy.......though certainly not empty for a late afternoon showtime..........about 25 in the cinema by my count.......which seated well over 250.........so under 10% capacity.
Reservation system does not allow anyone behind you, or in front of you, or any unrelated party without 2 empty seats between you, in addition to overall capacity cap.

Only one other person in my row, no one in the row in front, three in the row behind, but nowhere near me. So did not feel any sense of crowding at all.

Post-Cinema walk in the Entertainment District and Environs..............much busier than I've seen on an early Saturday evening in .....well.......over a year............
Nowhere near packed..........but lots of life............patios averaging 1/2 full...........some young women dressed as if clubbing (is that allowed again?).........

If this were a typical pre-pandemic summer's night, it would have been 4x busier.
But......as compared to last year........it felt............oddly, more normal.

Union Station: ......The seats/benches are being re-installed...........about 1/2 in.......

Side note: There is evidence of fit-out in the Bay Concourse................didn't have camera with..............but I saw new drywall up behind the hoarding

Subway: People mostly respecting the seating distances, but this resulted in a substantial number of standees. Traffic is up.

Last edited:
I was at St. Lawrence Market this Saturday afternoon and it was pretty packed. There was no one at either entrances to limit capacity but maybe that's no longer required in Stage 3?

A few observations to share.

Pre-Amble, I decided today that I just needed to get out...................so I decided to take in a movie down at Scotiabank. One thing about the pandemic, all seating is reservable at Cineplex, which means you can see real-time seating diagrams., which gives you a great idea of crowding etc.

At any rate...........

Cinema: Not really busy.......though certainly not empty for a late afternoon showtime..........about 25 in the cinema by my count.......which seated well over 250.........so under 10% capacity.
Reservation system does not allow anyone behind you, or in front of you, or any unrelated party without 2 empty seats between you, in addition to overall capacity cap.

Only one other person in my row, no one in the row in front, three in the row behind, but nowhere near me. So did not feel any sense of crowding at all.

Post-Cinema walk in the Entertainment District and Environs..............much busier than I've seen on an early Saturday evening in .....well.......over a year............
Nowhere near packed..........but lots of life............patios averaging 1/2 full...........some young women dressed as if clubbing (is that allowed again?).........

If this were a typical pre-pandemic summer's night, it would have been 4x busier.
But......as compared to that year........it felt............oddly, more normal.

Union Station: ......The seats/benches are being re-installed...........about 1/2 in.......

Side note: There is evidence of fit-out in the Bay Concourse................didn't have camera with..............but I saw new drywall up behind the hoarding

Subway: People mostly respecting the seating distances, but this resulted in a substantial number of standees. Traffic is up.
It's so good to see people out, just because it is normal. A lot of them didn't have masks on but everyone was very respectful. Fingers crossed. St Lawrence is one of the few places in the city you can loiter without too much judgement, having the opportunity to just sit and talk is so welcome.

The usual lower numbers of both tests and positives from a Sunday

Ontario is reporting 130 cases of #COVID19 and nearly 11,600 tests completed.

Not much of a backlog though. Only 4 thousand.

This has me wondering why the tests are so low. We used to process close to 60 thousand a day.

Not much of a backlog though. Only 4 thousand.

This has me wondering why the tests are so low. We used to process close to 60 thousand a day.

Myself and my family only ever got tested when any of us had symptoms or were potentially exposed. Now that there are so few cases and pretty high vaccinations, there's less need to get tested.

Back