News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 430     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

It's a blip - these are cases from days ago when there is hardly any distancing. I wouldn't want to get lured by that false sense of security.

AoD

You can expect the reaction to this to be in the wrong direction. If we go through a single digit number of new cases for even three days we'll get people calling for restrictions to be rolled back, and some will come out and say the state of emergency was an "overreaction," and "we've flattened the curve enough!" and it needs to be ended. Then you get the case surge, part 2.

You have to create your own routine. Get dressed, it makes a psychological difference. Start at the same time. Finish at the same time.

Apparently this is what works for most people; it never has for me. After three decades of self-employment, my only concern is to deliver jobs on time, and I actually like having no routines. But I must say that now that I work at home full-time because of this, I do miss my Aeron chair!

I believe some UT Forumer's work with or for manufactures.

Please take note of this Tweet from Perrin Beatty and advise your employers/clients if this applies to them.

View attachment 236787

I read, somewhere, that the UK government has asked if some of their manufacturers, including autos, if they can re-tool to produce things like ventilators. Sounds like wartime Great Britain all over again.

You can expect the reaction to this to be in the wrong direction. If we go through a single digit number of new cases for even three days we'll get people calling for restrictions to be rolled back, and some will come out and say the state of emergency was an "overreaction," and "we've flattened the curve enough!" and it needs to be ended. Then you get the case surge, part 2.

Reports of a second wave of symtoms, after being diagnosed as virus-free, is a little disconcerting. Either there is an interesting pathology to the virus or our testing methods aren't going deep enough.

This is promising:

View attachment 236779

Its not a trendline yet; but I consider this hopeful.
It's a blip - these are cases from days ago when there is hardly any distancing. I wouldn't want to get lured by that false sense of security.

AoD
On the flip-side:

1584459679680.png

Exactly like how Spain, France, and Germany were.

From PM's Presser:

Canadians stuck abroad can access emergency loans from the Federal government of up to $5,000 to finance their repatriation.

The additional supports for Canadians (EI/Income) will come tomorrow.

Changes to tax deadline/criteria and business finance to be announced by end of week.

Touching shopping carts that have been touched by thousands of people that same week is a particularly dumb take on how to socially isolate.
At the front doors of Costco everyone gets a disinfectant wipe to cleanse the handles, and everyone goes to town wiping down their cart like it's going to war. I expect those cart handles are cleaner than my door knobs at home. And besides, we need to eat and one big trip to Costco for the next 2-3 weeks is better than me eschewing the cart and thus returning every day for smaller batches.

The closest supermarket to me was poorly stocked on things such as meat (no ground turkey, pork, or any lean ground beef, no halal products, very little chicken), with strict limits on household paper products. Cereals were low (especially the sugary cereals), as was rice and canned goods such as tuna. But vegetables were well stocked.

Not as a critique to you @Admiral Beez but this is definitely my idea of social distancing:

View attachment 236773

This is a f*ckup on the part of Costco.

AoD
True that, but I don't see how they could do it differently. We were in and out in under 60 minutes with a full cart, never spoke to anyone, didn't touch face, sanitized hands as soon as in car and washed when got home.

True that, but I don't see how they could do it differently. We were in and out in under 60 minutes with a full cart, never spoke to anyone, didn't touch face, sanitized hands as soon as in car and washed when got home.

Limit the number of people in the store at any given time, for one. Have a meat counter system for the cashiers - announcement through the PA, with reminders that shoppers waiting to check out need to stay at a distance from one another.

AoD

The closest supermarket to me was poorly stocked on things such as meat (no ground turkey, pork, or any lean ground beef, no halal products, very little chicken), with strict limits on household paper products. Cereals were low (especially the sugary cereals), as was rice and canned goods such as tuna. But vegetables were well stocked.

The missus was in shopping yesterday (I was in Whtby buying a truck) and she said some things were pretty sparse - somewhat surprisingly, potatoes. it's not like it's a supply chain thing - other than some specialty species that don't grow well around here, most come from about 15 minutes away.

Feeding kids stuck at home with sugary cereal. What can possibly go wrong.

Back