News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 446     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

1584470310946.png

From https://qz.com/emails/coronavirus/1814038/

1584470403743.png

From https://fit.thequint.com/health-news/covid-19-india-deaths-co-morbidities-diabetes-hypertension

The youngsters among us could be relatively "well", but they could pass them on to the elderly and "fatality".

The grocery store previously known as Bloor Street Market had a lot of beef and veal today at around 10:30; chicken was rationed but there were quite a few pre-roasted chickens available. Lots of fresh fruit, not many types of vegetables missing (and garlic is back - there was a run on garlic a few days ago!), but no eggs whatsoever. Their first hour of opening is reserved for the elderly, which I am sure will be appreciated.

I just got an emall from the department head. They will have people in to print cheques and sort mail, stuff that needs in person work, but everyone else has been sent home.

BREAKING: LCBO is cutting hours starting Thursday, with stores open 11 am to 6 pm allowing time to boost store cleaning protocols as #COVID19 threat grows. But you can still get beer in some supermarkets if there's room in your shopping carts with all the toilet paper.

I am not in a position to verify the many statements made below in the screenshot at this time.

Give them the appropriate weight, accordingly.

Shared by former Provincial Finance Minister Dwight Duncan on his Facebook.

1584479692292.png

25B coming to people from Ottawa, tomorrow, says CBC.

By way of comparison, which isn't fair given 2 very different countries and differing levels of 'base' social supports.........but it appears the U.S. will be handing out at least double that, on a per capita basis. The debts are going to go to heavens.......not saying for one moment we shouldn't spend in the circumstances; but we must raise taxes when this is over, substantially to restore some sense of fiscal sanity, and to invest in building a higher base social safety net.

The University of Toronto is offering emergency grants to students, both domestic and international.

The nature of the program is a bit amorphous mind you with no minimum help, no maximum help, students request an amount they say they need, and after reporting income and reasons, the U of T will dispense some support, no support or the requested amount at its discretion.

I wonder, if total closures were executed, how much slack room the supply chain has to deal with build up of inventory.

You think about the volumes of product that go into the distribution system of large retailers; and that orders for spring and even summer were placed months ago in many cases...........

Not saying we shouldn't see closures, but for shipments in progress, I wonder how much the system can absorb or whether you see ships docked in port that can't unload.

Just received an email from Sheridan Nurseries:

Sheridan Nurseries has learned that an employee at our Toronto Garden Centre (2827 Yonge St, Toronto) has tested positive for COVID-19 on March 17, 2020. Immediately upon learning of this, we closed our Toronto location and contacted Toronto’s Public Health Department. In addition, as a voluntary precautionary measure, we have decided to temporarily close all 8 Sheridan Nurseries Garden Centres effective immediately through the end of March.

The affected employee is receiving appropriate medical care and is at home in quarantine. We ask anyone who shopped at our Toronto location from March 2 to March 17 to self-monitor for any COVID-19 symptoms.

https://sheridannurseries.com/about/important-information-covid-19/

Personally I don't get why Chinese diplomats/reporters are sperging out right now and 1.) Attempting to muddy the waters on the source of the virus, linking the US directly; 2.) Inciting Trump to label corona virus as a 'Chinese virus'; and 3.) Responding with accusations of racism, 'outrage' (and thousands of obvious NMSLing/horse-emoji-spammers on Twitter).

If they'd stayed stoic and only responded via medical aid, it would have been a perfect opportunity to show the world a dignified instance of Chinese soft power over Trump's flailing. Instead, the US and China are probably going to decouple even faster after this, and now the coronavirus crisis has a geopolitical escalation layered on top when the world needed it least.

Then again, these 'wolf-warrior' actions could very much be a way to externalize dissent, and are for internal consumption (especially given the lockdowns on free information in China recently- https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/business/china-coronavirus-internet-police.html)

Last edited:
Watching the footage of global scientists working on the vaccines, etc. I have to wonder if we could have solved HIV/AIDS earlier with similar urgency and effort. Freddie Mercury may still be with us.

Watching the footage of global scientists working on the vaccines, etc. I have to wonder if we could have solved HIV/AIDS earlier with similar urgency and effort. Freddie Mercury may still be with us.
Let’s face it. The people who were dying were considered second class (or less) by many. One of Trump’s task force people referenced this the other day during the daily briefing ... how that solution was community driven (from within the affected community) as opposed to political driven.

Back