172     0 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 901     6 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 462     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

96 is a great run though, covid or not.
Meanwhile, there's someone who just turned 118:

Mrs. Kane Tanaka is healthy, still strong, and never had COVID-19.

Only Sarah Knauss and Jeanne Calment lived longer (though the latter was disputed), but Kane Tanaka is the only living person who has over 118 years of age.

We know what careless containment leads to: we saw it in Northern Italy, NYC, and Wuhan early on. Bodies piling up in refrigerated trucks. Patients not receiving care because the resources aren't there. LTC residents not being cared for. Exponentials care not what you want. You can moan about how the price we paid is not worth it based on the lives lost so far. Had we done nothing we'd have mass graves.
Indeed.

Let's do some basic math and extrapolate, shall we? Because some seem to want to diminish our death rate as "oh, this happens anyway."-BS and haven't bothered to even research beyond the most superficial of anti-lockdown talking points.

Our numbers are currently what's happened when the disease has been confirmed to have hit 224,000 people in the province (0.15% of the population of 14,570,000), killing 5,021.

10,969 have been hospitalized, 2,121 ended up in the ICU. These numbers as of Jan 10.

What we know:
10,969 / 224,000 = 4.89% of known infections end up hospitalized.
2,121 / 224,000 = 0.95% of known infections end up in the ICU.
5,021 / 224,000 = 2.24% mortality rate.
The above has been (thankfully) without the total overwhelming of the health care system

What we can extrapolate based on all of the above:
Assuming herd immunity is 60%—conservative numbers are more in the 70-80% range. Also assuming it takes a full year to get to that stage.
60% of 14,570,000 = 8,742,000 total cases of covid infection in Ontario.
8,742,000 x 4.89% = 427,484 Ontarians would end up in the hospital.
8,742,000 x 0.95% = 83,049 Ontarians would end up in the ICU.
8,742,000 x 2.24% = 195,821 Ontarians would die. (Strong DISCLAIMER: this percentage will go up quite a bit in the retrospect, as our current surge isn't yet reflecting the deaths).

195,821 deaths in a year while it runs its course.

On an average year, only ~110,000 Ontarians die from myriad other causes (cancer, heart disease, old age, etc.).
The three leading causes:
~30,000 deaths are from cancer
~36,000 from heart disease
~5,300 from stroke

There will of course be some overlap between covid deaths and other causes, so lets assume only half of the normal deaths in Canada during that time aren't Covid-adjacent and add an additional 55,000 deaths to the Covid-related deaths.

250,821 deaths in Ontario. Almost 2.5x the normal number.

Okay, so it's a lot of deaths. But what about those hospitalizations?
It's hard to get an exact number, but we seem to have (including all additions this past year) ~26,000 total hospital beds in Ontario. We have 2,136 ICU beds as of Dec 15th.

427,484 in 26,000 beds over the course of the year. With the average Covid-related hospital stay being about 2-3 weeks, it pretty much means every hospital bed in the province full of nothing but Covid patients. No surgeries, no heart attacks, no car accidents, nothing but Covid. Many more would die without bed availability.
83,049 in 2,136 ICU beds. This also means absolute saturation of covid patients for a full year. Again, many more would die without bed availability.

But here's the kicker:
Ontario has ~15,000 physicians.
Ontario has ~104,000 nurses.

15,000 x 2.24% = 336 fewer doctors to deal with Covid treatment. Given their average age is ~52, it means a good number of them are in the high-risk category, not including the additional risk posed by just treating Covid patients.
104,000 x 2.24% = 2,330 fewer nurses. Again, much higher risk.

Oh and also:
8,742,000 Ontarians will be off work for a length of time. 13 in every 1000 Ontarians will die.

At a bare minimum, 10% of working-age Covid patients are ending up with "long covid"/sustained disability. That means at least 874,200 new Ontarians on disability; permanent or otherwise.

What happens to the mental health and the economy when almost 9 million Ontarians are off work each for a couple of weeks? What happens to mental health and the economy when almost a million Ontarians are newly unable to work from disability? What happens to the mental health and the economy when when almost 200,000 Ontarians die?

People arguing against lockdown for "mental health" and "the economy" are strangely not bothering to look into those things.

Worst of all:
The above assumes that:

a) There's sustained immunity from contraction (versus vaccination).
b) There is no complete failure of the medical system.
c) There is no complete failure of the economic system.
d) That exponentially higher rates of infection doesn't mutate the virus into something more deadly, more infectious or less treatable.
e) That all of the above happens in a sustained flow, rather than several larger surges.

To summarize, anti-lockdown and anti-mask advocates need to STFU.

Last edited:
There is also the whole issue of the "long haulers" who will be relying on our medical systems for months or even years to come. The impact is indeed far beyond "old people dying", which by the way may seem all fine until it's one (or many) of your old people.

We know what careless containment leads to: we saw it in Northern Italy, NYC, and Wuhan early on. Bodies piling up in refrigerated trucks. Patients not receiving care because the resources aren't there. LTC residents not being cared for. Exponentials care not what you want. You can moan about how the price we paid is not worth it based on the lives lost so far. Had we done nothing we'd have mass graves.

That's the thing. If Ontario and the rest of Canada for that matter protected LTCs from the beginning the number of deaths from the virus would be much less when about 75% of all covid deaths in Canada happened in LTCs. Instead of wasting resources trying to stop the spread in the general population, we could've spent all that time and energy isolating and doing our best in keeping the virus out of LTCs and protecting the sick.

Also if shutdowns are so necessary to stop the spread then why didn't Japan need them much? They have over 3 times the population of Canada, have never shutdown their entire country during the whole pandemic and had much of the world criticise them for their lack of action and everyone was predicting they were going to pay for it in being overwhelmed with deaths and covid patients and guess what? Nearly a year later and they're still under 4,000 deaths despite having a senior population that's only 3 million less than Canada's ENTIRE population and their hospitals have been doing just fine.

So please tell me when Japan has 35 million seniors which is suppose to be the most at risk group to the virus, why are they still able to have such a low number of deaths? How is it possible that they've taken some measures like widespread mask wearing, but haven't taken other measures like social distancing or preventing people from gathering in large crowds and yet Japanese grandmas and grandpas aren't dying by the tens of thousands like they are in a number of other countries? Are they superhuman or is it maybe, JUST MAYBE its because their population is generally much more healthy than most other populations on the planet?

So why can't we follow Japan's lead and let people go out and be active so that our population can stay healthier both physically and mentally/emotionally? People are happier and for many their livelihoods don't get screwed or even ruined and as Japan has shown, healthier people leads to less people needing hospital care and less deaths. They've shown that there's more than one way to manage living with the pandemic than simply shutting down your city or country everytime there's a rise in infections.

This is what made it to cabinet? Sigh!

From the report, apparently Ontario's cabinet is considering the following new 'restrictions'.

• Gathering limits reduced to as few as five people.
  • Shorter hours for essential businesses, which would involve earlier closures and later openings.
  • Limits on construction activity, but those limits would still allow essential construction to continue. Essential construction would be defined as work on health care and critical infrastructure, as well as residential buildings.
  • A requirement that no employees would be allowed in offices unless they are deemed essential.

Lets address these shall we:

• Gathering limits reduced to as few as five people.
Functionally, there are no public gatherings at the moment, so this is about private homes. There will be no enforcement.
  • Shorter hours for essential businesses, which would involve earlier closures and later openings.
All this does is increase crowding and lineups. That increases risk of transmission rather than decreases it. Basic math, policy fail.
  • Limits on construction activity, but those limits would still allow essential construction to continue. Essential construction would be defined as work on health care and critical infrastructure, as well as residential buildings.
So....this could freeze work on new office towers, but not a whole lot else...............
  • A requirement that no employees would be allowed in offices unless they are deemed essential.
Precisely what is this changing? Most offices are deserted and if they aren't, they're likely filled with 'essential' people.

Exactly zero on factories/meat packing/food processing

Exactly zero on restricting patients/LTC residents per room

Exactly zero on limiting healthcare staff to a single floor or unit, emergencies excepted.

If accurate this represents a continuation of an enormous policy fail.

Shorter hours for essential businesses? Oh great, i usually shop an hour or so before close, the stores are fairly quiet with no line ups. Now i will be forced to shop with the crowds and have to line up with strangers.

Even bigger disappointment, nothing is being done with factories/meat packing/food processing plants, who are Covid spreaders. How many of these factories are even that essential? Drive out to Brampton or Milton and you will see parking lots packed. It's business as usual for thousands of factories across Ontario.

Japan isn't anti-mask, but they're not very pro shutdown and haven't implement a national shutdown to date and they're definitely not social distancing much and they're allowing people to gather in large crowds and yet with a massive 35 million senior population and over 3 times the population of Canada they're still sitting at under 4,000 deaths. Somehow Japanese grandmas and grandpas aren't dying by the tens of thousands even without a large scale lockdown.

I guess Japan missed the memo that a shutdown was absolutely necessary to save themselves from high death rates and hospitals being filled with covid patients.

That's the thing. If Ontario and the rest of Canada for that matter protected LTCs from the beginning the number of deaths from the virus would be much less when about 75% of all covid deaths in Canada happened in LTCs. Instead of wasting resources trying to stop the spread in the general population, we could've spent all that time and energy isolating and doing our best in keeping the virus out of LTCs and protecting the sick.
Do you think it's only LTC patients looking after other LTC patients? If that were the case, it wouldn't have gotten into LTC homes to begin with. Stop with this Great Barrington Declaration argument. It's garbage, easily debunked and a completely selfish perspective.

So please tell me when Japan has 35 million seniors which is suppose to be the most at risk group to the virus, why are they still able to have such a low number of deaths? How is it possible that they've taken some measures like widespread mask wearing, but haven't taken other measures like social distancing or preventing people from gathering in large crowds and yet Japanese grandmas and grandpas aren't dying by the tens of thousands like they are in a number of other countries? Are they superhuman or is it maybe, JUST MAYBE its because their population is generally much more healthy than most other populations on the planet?

So why can't we follow Japan's lead and let people go out and be active so that our population can stay healthier both physically and mentally/emotionally? People are happier and for many their livelihoods don't get screwed or even ruined and as Japan has shown, healthier people leads to less people needing hospital care and less deaths. They've shown that there's more than one way to manage living with the pandemic than simply shutting down your city or country everytime there's a rise in infections.
If only we were just like Japan.

You know that long prior to Covid when anyone had the slightest of colds there, they wore a mask right? Do you know they have an ingrained level of respect for others (and respect for the value of shame); so much so that the idea of making someone else sick is life-altering and disgraceful? Their outlook on the world is social and not individual. They have a vastly different culture that just can't be transplanted here instantaneously. We in the west have a culture of selfishness and a sociopathic lack of shame in comparison. My wife lived there for four years and we have many Japanese friends.

Please, stop with this fallacious argument, when your previous LTC statement demonstrates to me you wouldn't even "get" how the Japanese think or their actions during this..

It's doubly disappointing that people who clearly are far more intelligent and educated than the average person still possess such a galling lack of common sense. You'd think such accomplished members of society would be more aware of the optics of certain actions and the heightened scrutiny around them. It makes my head spin. Perfect examples of people with academic smarts utterly lacking in street smarts.

I think you have it all wrong.

They know exactly what they're doing. They just don't care.

And again almost 300 people die EVERY SINGLE DAY in Ontario of various causes long before covid arrived and yet how come we never stopped society from functioning to try and prevent all those deaths?

Come on, mate.....I agree with you somewhat on the irrational reactions to the plague in some corners, but don't be simple.
Obviously, your above-noted 300 daily death are from a wide range of causes and so treating any single one, or even all of them would make life cease entirely. If it were at all possible to eliminate even half those deaths through our actions.

Then again, I agree entirely that we've lost sight of some other rather serious crises that are in some cases (climate change) actually potentially existential, which this plague is not.

So why not allow people to go out and stay active instead of keeping them indoors and having their health decline?

Don't get me started on this nonsense! I tried going hiking at Mt Nemo Conservation Area a little over a week ago. Pulled up to the gate only to be asked for my reservation. Reservation. To go hiking. Outdoors. File that one under completely brainless policy.
Want to go skating in Toronto? You need a family number. What's a family number? Mine's 0! Wankers, again.

Yes, some of the restrictions we've seen are beyond irrational.

And this doesn't even include all the mental and emotional health issues that many people suffer from all these restrictions. Somehow in caring only about stopping the virus so much, many people especially our politicians and 'medical experts' have completely lost sight of all the damage its caused to so many people and in so many faucets of our society and whether all of it is actually worth it.

As someone involved with mental health issues I'm entirely certain this is because as a society we still don't see mental health as either important or for what it truly is: a very important component of health.
The relationship between immune function and mental health, for example, is simply ignored.

Never mind the very real long-term implications of severe restrictions not just on individuals but on society as a whole. Individuals suffering from poor mental health don't live in a vacuum.

Its like buying a car. As much as you want a certain car, at some point the cost outweighs the benefit of you buying and enjoying that vehicle and you say its not worth it and walk away from the purchase. To me the cost of taking all these measures to prevent covid deaths that predominately happen among long term care patients and the sick isn't worth all the damage we've caused to ourselves.

I sort of agree with you here.
I'm especially concerned about the very serious negative developmental effects on young children that this will have. Effects that will, in the long-term affect all of society.

There is also the whole issue of the "long haulers" who will be relying on our medical systems for months or even years to come.
See also: developmental problems in children; childhood trauma; trauma due to abuse; mental health issues.

Some of which are real "long haulers" in that they affect multiple subsequent generations.

It's not either/or...it's how much of each.

The impact is indeed far beyond "old people dying", which by the way may seem all fine until it's one (or many) of your old people.

Well, "my old people" are less concerned about the plague than I am so.......who am I to argue with them?

Japan isn't anti-mask, but they're not very pro shutdown and haven't implement a national shutdown to date and they're definitely not social distancing much and they're allowing people to gather in large crowds and yet with a massive 35 million senior population and over 3 times the population of Canada they're still sitting at under 4,000 deaths. Somehow Japanese grandmas and grandpas aren't dying by the tens of thousands even without a large scale lockdown.

I guess Japan missed the memo that a shutdown was absolutely necessary to save themselves from high death rates and hospitals being filled with covid patients.
For the record, Japan DID shut down schools and nonessential businesses for a month last year, and are currently weighing the option again. But let's not let facts get in the way of opinion.

Attachments

• 228F17E8-F262-4798-BA9A-AD43CF4E42A6.jpeg
    228F17E8-F262-4798-BA9A-AD43CF4E42A6.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 171

I enjoyed your post and the work you put into it and then I got to the bottom.
Anti-maskers are indeed welcome to shut it, as masks are a very obvious and harmless form of transmission prevention.
The same can't be said for some of our lockdown restrictions. Conflating the two is a bit much from someone as intelligent as yourself.

I'm just wondering why you put in a disclaimer that the fatality rate will increase as the number of infection cases increases. Is there proof of this elsewhere? I thought the fatality rate was a steady 2-3% worldwide, regardless of case rate.

In any case, the number of dead is the number of dead. Who will mourn the ruined lives of the future?

We have utterly failed to apply rational restrictions and to support people properly, given the restrictions we do have.

Yeah, the shortened opening hours I think is a bad idea as well. I understand they want people to stay home at home more and not shop, but we (most of us hopefully?) are down to groceries and essentials (toiletries, batteries, etc) as it is.

What are the spikes since December coming from? Private parties (both commercial like those busted bars and residential house parties)? People not respecting quarantine? I still see a few people on the streets (St. Lawrence Market area) not wearing masks, but I guess if it's outside it's OK? These new restrictions really don't seem to be getting to the heart of the spikes. How good is our contact tracing program?

I've mentioned it before, but when Ikea stores were opened, seeing families with young kids "shopping" in the store as a night out does irk me a lot. I'm sure this happened at other department stores as well.

Back