News   May 10, 2024
 612     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 708     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 883     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Ontario's hospitals are filling up, hampering the resumption of surgeries

New COVID-19 rules require hospitals to have 30-day PPE supply, occupancy below 85%

May 23, 2020

The government announced last week that those surgeries (often called elective to distinguish them from emergency surgeries) could resume. But this can happen only in hospitals that meet certain criteria.

Two criteria that are crucial:

• The hospital's occupancy rate must be no higher than 85 per cent.
  • The hospital must have a 30-day supply of personal protective equipment (PPE), such as masks, gowns and gloves.
"A large minority of hospitals" do not qualify, said Anthony Dale, president and CEO of the Ontario Hospital Association.

"I know of hospitals already approaching 100 per cent occupancy," Dale said in an interview Friday.

"Why are we allowing hospital occupancy to rise again to very high levels?" he asked, adding that he is "extremely concerned that we're sleepwalking into a situation that we can prevent If we take action now."

Dozens of hospitals are currently registering occupancy rates above the 85 per cent mark, according to the association.

"Clearly this is a risky situation," Dale said. "We have to be serious about the fact that the second wave [of the pandemic] is coming and we need to be prepared."

He is calling on the province to find more space outside of hospital for patients who don't need acute-care beds and to "redouble its efforts" in helping hospitals obtain PPE.

Last edited:
There's an idea! I've been working this whole time and never thought to charge a Covid fee!

Ripping myself off, clearly.

PPE is cheap and only low-margin businesses are going to pass that cost on. If I even tried passing that particular cost on to my clients it'd amount to a negligible rounding error.

Be wary of businesses upcharging for plague reasons......only some may have actual reason to do so. I'd walk away from most, myself. Sounds like bullshit to me.

You weren't shut down by government order. Stores that were ordered to close still had to pay rent with very little profits coming in. PPE is another added cost a lot of stores/restaurants cannot afford. You will pay the added cost one way or another, either by a fee tacked on the bill or if they are smart they will quietly raise their prices without people noticing.

Pay it or our downtown's will become ghost towns.

I was overseas and busy with family for a while so I haven’t been on this thread for a long time; however, I just wanted to point out that my earlier posts seem fairly naive now given how this pandemic unfolded and the relative ease of transmission we are now aware of.

Ontario's hospitals are filling up, hampering the resumption of surgeries

New COVID-19 rules require hospitals to have 30-day PPE supply, occupancy below 85%

May 23, 2020

The government announced last week that those surgeries (often called elective to distinguish them from emergency surgeries) could resume. But this can happen only in hospitals that meet certain criteria.

Two criteria that are crucial:

• The hospital's occupancy rate must be no higher than 85 per cent.
  • The hospital must have a 30-day supply of personal protective equipment (PPE), such as masks, gowns and gloves.
"A large minority of hospitals" do not qualify, said Anthony Dale, president and CEO of the Ontario Hospital Association.

"I know of hospitals already approaching 100 per cent occupancy," Dale said in an interview Friday.

"Why are we allowing hospital occupancy to rise again to very high levels?" he asked, adding that he is "extremely concerned that we're sleepwalking into a situation that we can prevent If we take action now."

Dozens of hospitals are currently registering occupancy rates above the 85 per cent mark, according to the association.

"Clearly this is a risky situation," Dale said. "We have to be serious about the fact that the second wave [of the pandemic] is coming and we need to be prepared."

He is calling on the province to find more space outside of hospital for patients who don't need acute-care beds and to "redouble its efforts" in helping hospitals obtain PPE.

A couple of things here:

First, who decided on 85%? Most hospitals in Ontario, pre-Covid, were running at 95-105% (hallway medicine).

We can all agree that is and was unacceptable.

I wouldn't suggest we go there again, if at all possible.

But as we re-start full-service medicine, the only way for that figure to come in under 95% involves more hospital beds, more transitional (ALC) beds, and more Long-Term care beds.

So far as I know, we haven't opened any new hospitals in the last 3 months or any drastic expansions of existing ones.

As such, 85% as a criteria is likely to stifle the return of medically necessary procedures (as the report suggests it is)

To me this simply isn't workable.

The criteria, instead should be on private patient rooms, for a start.

Second, on proper PPE/hygiene and testing protocols.

Which brings me to the next matter..............why is any hospital in this province short of PPE? At this point there really shouldn't be any excuse.

Finally, we need to get on with adding additional beds in all of hospitals, transitional care centres and LTCs.

No dilly-dallying.

In Toronto, there is a project underway at the planning level working towards replacement of Scarborough General; and another for St. Joe's.

Both should expedited, and given direction to add additional capacity.

Downtown, T-Gen has the most campus area for more space and should be told to begin planning for added patient capacity forthwith.

A Long Term care centre and/or transitional care centre should be added on the T-Gen Campus or on the lands behind hospital row on the west side of University.

The further expansion of St. Mikes should also be greenlit.

Similar investments are needed elsewhere in the province.

Those capital projects will take 2-5 years to deliver (in the case of full hospital redevelopments, 6-7 years is more likely).

So we don't have time to waste.

But we do need interim solutions much, much sooner.

As I said people will be fine with mostly old people dying and a few 100 cases a day if they can enjoy the summer.

I know that is harsh but true.

As I said people will be fine with mostly old people dying and a few 100 cases a day if they can enjoy the summer.

I know that is harsh but true.
The scenes out of Trinity Bellwoods Park right now might agree with you. Fuck those people.

It’s so frustrating to see as I did my part in sacrificing a few things to keep my elderly relatives and other vulnerable people safe.

It’s such a simple concept. If a place is too crowded, go somewhere else or come back later.

If we can protect the long term care and senior‘s homes we can reopen with risking old people.
The scenes out of Trinity Bellwoods Park right now might agree with you. Fuck those people.
I’ve never understood this millennial penchant for sitting about in groups on the grass in public parks.

It’s so frustrating to see as I did my part in sacrificing a few things to keep my elderly relatives and other vulnerable people safe.

It’s such a simple concept. If a place is too crowded, go somewhere else or come back later.

My mother said it best. The weather is getting warmer and people have been cooped up for 3 months.

Try as they will, politicians cannot keep people locked away and/or separated indefinitely. People will want to see their friends and family and that means gathering in the park or in larger than approved groups.

Pandoras Box has been opened and the damage has been done. People have had enough of being away from the people they love, they got a taste of freedom and ran with it.

Sorry folks, there is no putting this genie back into the bottle. People will be gathering in groups and going against recommendations like it or not.

Hydroxychloroquine: Trump's Covid-19 'cure' increases deaths, global study finds

Malaria drug should not be used to treat coronavirus, scientists say, after study shows high death rate

Fri 22 May 2020

These videos somewhat exaggerate the situation by using very carefully selected camera angles and such. I see people in their own pods relatively spaced out in an open outside area. It's not that big a deal at all and really not the issue to be worried about. The real problem is these people mixing indoors later, and there are definitely groups having Saturday night group parties in downtown condos now. I'd be far more worried about that.

1. This shows why the Rail Deck Park is needed.

2. Toronto Islands, public ferries remain off limits due to COVID-19 pandemic
City-run ferry service only available to residents at this time

See link.

If you’re thinking about escaping to the Toronto Islands this weekend, think again.

Park facilities on the chain of 15 small islands in Lake Ontario remain closed to the public as per physical distancing requirements.

Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in mid-March, there’s also been no public ferry service to the popular warm weather destination.

At this time, the City of Toronto-run ferries, which operate from the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal at the foot of Bay Street, are only running to Ward’s Island for residents.

That is why the current downtown parks are crowded. More parks are needed, parks accessible by foot or bicycle.

Also why ActiveTO is creating quite streets by closing off major roads. Still not enough.

COVID-19: ActiveTO

See link.

Back