News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Most of my online stuff gets delivered via companies other than Canada Post. Anything that does come through CP has been very much delayed. We just did a curbside pickup from Canadian Tire; their website was slammed and basically unavailable for much of the day, but I finally was able to get my order through late last night and it was ready this morning.

I have found CT's website to be frustrating for a long time and I imagine the extra traffic has made it worse. In the past I've had much better luck with Home Hardware (don't know what it's currently like).

Just after I posted that, I got an email from CT saying they know there are issues and they are fixing them, and lo and behold, their website looks better and works better today. Kudos to them. Their pickup process was very good -- I just read a horror story about pick up at a big box hardware store that was a mess.

Rent strikes:

It seems some advocate that all rent and mortgage payments should be waived, not deferred, regardless of financial situation.

It seems some advocate that all rent and mortgage payments should be waived, not deferred, regardless of financial situation.
So, shareholders in Canadian banks, like myself and most stock-holding Canadians are expected to pay others mortgages? I don’t think so, delay your payments and then renegotiate to pay it back over a longer term. I support interest-free rent and mortgage delays, but Covid19 is not an excuse to completely renege on your financial obligations. Can the utility companies go on strike and not provide water and hydro? No.

I had to drive out to Brampton to drop food off for family members. My god the line ups to get in the Walmarts/Grocery stores were insane! They had police presence at some stores as-well.

I thought I would escape these lineups because I usually shop in the evening and only grab stuff from Shoppers, not full purpose grocery stores but I was wrong on both accounts. Shoppers closes early now and every Shoppers near me had a lineup down the block. All I wanted was some bread. ??‍♂️

I'm not for waving rent or mortgage payments but if this thing continues it may come to that. We're going to be dealing with this virus for years. We may never have a vaccine. There will be more deaths. Layoffs will be a plenty. Could see a complete collapse of our economy like something we've never seen before. Things could get really bad. I hope I'm dead wrong though....There's a lot that's being kept from us.

Canada Goose Delivers 14,000 Units of Medical Gear to Canadian Hospitals, Reopens Six More Facilities to Ramp up Production of PPE With the Help of 900 Employees

Apr 09, 2020, 07:00 ET

Today, Canada Goose Holdings Inc. ("Canada Goose" or the "Company") (NYSE:GOOS,TSX:GOOS) announced its plans to ramp up domestic production of personal protective equipment (PPE) for frontline healthcare workers across Canada. Over the next two weeks, the Company will begin to reopen all of its eight Canadian facilities and, at full capacity as many as 900 employees will be working to support the efforts.

With new contracts in place, Canada Goose will produce at least 60,000 gowns per week, with plans to deliver up to 1.5 million, at cost. Any unintentional profits, potentially derived from efficiencies, will be donated to national COVID-19 relief funds.

This announcement builds on its commitment to manufacture and donate 14,000 units of gowns and scrubs at no charge. Produced in two of its Toronto and Winnipeg facilities, product shipments to hospitals and healthcare facilities across Canada, began this week.

"These unprecedented times call for decisive, collective action and now is the time for Canada to invest in Made-in-Canada solutions," said Dani Reiss, President & CEO, Canada Goose. "With one of the largest Canadian apparel manufacturing infrastructures in the country, we are uniquely positioned to re-tool our facilities and refocus our teams to produce a variety of personal protective equipment – and we are prepared to leverage all of our resources to do what's right for our country."

Manufacturing Facilities:

• Canada Goose will leverage its eight manufacturing facilities across Canada to produce L2 gowns, including:
    • Three facilities in Winnipeg, MB
    • Three facilities in Greater Toronto Area, ON
    • Montreal and Boisbriand, QC
  • At full capacity, as many as 900 Canada Goose employees across Canada will be working to produce PPE equipment; approximately 150 employees are currently producing equipment in Toronto and Winnipeg
  • All facilities will follow recommended social distancing protocols and safety regulations to ensure a safe work environment for employees
Personal Protective Equipment Production:

• Under contract with the federal government, the Company will produce 60,000 L2 gowns per week, to a total of 1.5 million total units.
  • In Manitoba, the Company will produce 100,000 reusable gowns for Shared Health
The Company continues to work closely with federal, provincial and local health authorities to provide as much gear as possible to those in need.

TD has moved 9,500 call centre agents home. After the pandemic ends, some may stay there

A possible permanent shift to remote work is another signal the pandemic may have long-term ramifications on everything from work to commercial real estate

April 8, 2020

Toronto-Dominion Bank is moving almost all of its call centre employees from 15 different U.S. and Canadian cities to their homes in response to the coronavirus.

It has been a logistical challenge to shift more than 9,000 people but it’s working so well Toronto-Dominion may continue to offer it as an option in the future, a signal the pandemic may have long-term ramifications on everything from work to commercial real estate.

“Just 30 days ago we couldn’t even imagine having our contact-centre agents working from home,” said Greg Smith, the senior vice president who oversees the centres in North America. “And 30 days from now we will have over 9,000 agents working from home.”

I'm not for waving rent or mortgage payments but if this thing continues it may come to that. We're going to be dealing with this virus for years. We may never have a vaccine. There will be more deaths. Layoffs will be a plenty. Could see a complete collapse of our economy like something we've never seen before. Things could get really bad. I hope I'm dead wrong though....There's a lot that's being kept from us.

Strong the paranoia is in this one.

So, shareholders in Canadian banks, like myself and most stock-holding Canadians are expected to pay others mortgages? I don’t think so, delay your payments and then renegotiate to pay it back over a longer term. I support interest-free rent and mortgage delays, but Covid19 is not an excuse to completely renege on your financial obligations.
Agreed. The proposal that payments should be permanently waived is absurd. If this ends up being relatively temporary for a majority of mortgage holders and we eventually rebound to some semblance of before, there's no reason a mortgage holder shouldn't repay in full the amount of their mortgage. If we rebound and someone can't repay (i.e., hasn't managed to gain employment despite a relative recovery for most of our economy), well, that's called insolvency.

I also heard an interesting argument by an economist at one of the big banks the other day, that it is unlikely banks will cut dividends because something like 1/3rds of Canada's retirees rely on bank dividends for income in retirement. So to the extent that banks are hurt permanently from this, we're really hurting our retirees as much as anyone else.

5e6a58e684159f61963287a2

From link.

For those wondering about supply chain issues, particularly as they related to dairy...

I came across a super informative thread from a dairy farmer on Twitter, explaining what's happening in the supply chain.

I commend anyone to read it. (its long, so I won't repost here)

But a couple of interesting notes:

Figures out of the US (Cdn #'s should come soon) show increases through retail of 53% in milk, 84% in cheese, 127% for butter. All while food service demand collapsed.

Also

Farmers typically have only 72 hours of storage capacity for fresh milk; and normally get a pick-up every 48 hours; if anything happens where a truck can't come, most can't store milk through the next pickup.

Last edited:
Overall, not a 'bad news' report. Lots of ICU capacity still available. (knock wood it shall remain so)

New cases still indicate we aren't yet at peak (so we haven't yet flattened the curve, though it is flattening somewhat)

Tests rose to 5,573 (capacity supposedly at 13,000 per day)

Cases up 8.3%

Hospitalizations up 6.5%

ICU down 1.5% (actually dropped by 4)

Vents up 1.4%

Resolved rate up to 41.3%

Last edited:
I also heard an interesting argument by an economist at one of the big banks the other day, that it is unlikely banks will cut dividends because something like 1/3rds of Canada's retirees rely on bank dividends for income in retirement. So to the extent that banks are hurt permanently from this, we're really hurting our retirees as much as anyone else.
Dividends are a set percentage of one‘s holdings. So if the value drops, so does the dividend, meaning the banks pay out less during this pandemic.

Back