News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 638     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I'm done with the big grocery stores until this mess is over. I went last week and it was stressful, too many people ignoring the social distancing rule and ignoring the one-way arrows on the aisles. I had to yell at people going the wrong way!

Non food items i order online, I got a small Asian grocer near by, so i get all my produce, noodles,rice, meats there and i'm the only one in the store. I can be in and out in less than 2 minutes.

Ford says Ontario needs to begin testing 'everyone possible' for COVID-19

Published Wednesday, April 8, 2020 11:30AM EDT

TORONTO -- Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the province needs to start testing "everyone possible" for COVID-19 now that Ontario has the capacity to test as many as 13,000 people per day.

Ontario is dead last among all provinces when it comes to the number of people tested for the virus. Health officials in the province have until now advised that testing be primarily conducted on priority groups, including health care workers, first-responders, jail inmates, residents of Indigenous reserves and long-term care staff and residents.

“The days are done of these two or three thousand a day being tested,” Ford said at a news conference at Queen’s Park on Wednesday. “Moving forward we need to see 13,000 tests every single day.”

---------------
Provincial testing per capita:

Ontario: 575 per 100,000
Alberta: 1521 per 100,000
Quebec: 1280 per 100,000
B.C.: 1006 per 100,000
Manitoba :1037 per 100,000
Saskatchewan: 1245 per 100,000
Nova Scotia: 1196 tests per 100,000
New Brunswick: 840 tests per 100,000
Newfoundland: 796 tests per 100,000
PEI: 644 tests per 100,000

The province just announced that all essential construction, which is all construction that is permitted to continue, can now proceed 24/7 without restrictions.

While the spirit of this law would make sense if essential construction were in fact essential, like hospitals, transit work and anything that supports the delivery of essential goods and services, it does not make sense to allow all condo and office tower construction to proceed 24/7.

I guess for us construction nerds, this sounds great because some towers will be completed ahead of schedule, but for people who live next to a construction site, this is going to totally suck. Have fun sleeping with construction noise crackeling and banging in the crisp night air.

The province just announced that all essential construction, which is all construction that is permitted to continue, can now proceed 24/7 without restrictions.

While the spirit of this law would make sense if essential construction were in fact essential, like hospitals, transit work and anything that supports the delivery of essential goods and services, it does not make sense to allow all condo and office tower construction to proceed 24/7.

I guess for us construction nerds, this sounds great because some towers will be completed ahead of schedule, but for people who live next to a construction site, this is going to totally suck. Have fun sleeping with construction noise crackeling and banging in the crisp night air.

Office buildings and million-dollar luxury condos are more important than saving lives? They are going to allow 50 plus workers on sites where it is impossible to adhere to social distancing. Where workers are using filthy porta potties with little or no hand washing facilities.

I've been working from home for almost a month now, so my strategy is to do groceries right at 8 am before work on weekdays. I'm within walking distance to 2 grocery stores nearby, Freshco and Food Basics. Dollarama and Shoppers are also right there. I get in, grab what I need, and get out. Certain things may be hit or miss depending on the day, but I've stocked up enough for a while so I'm comfortable.

I'm fascinated by which items are having re-stock issues.

While I don't understand the great TP hoarding phenomenon of 2020; I do get its impact.

I can see why hand sanitizer, wipes and vinegar are in relatively shorty supply; though for the life of me.........all the Heinz squeeze bottles of vinegar? Really? But nobody wants to clean with Allens Vinegar....LOL

I get why baking ingredients have been popular. But while I can find butter and flour and sugar................

Nobody seems to have Canola oil............WTF? We harvest in fall every year, and we're one of the world's (if the not the worlds') leading supplier nation.

We should have enough raw product to take us through September at least.

It should be continuously processed......

Also; I get paper towel running out initially, as a cleaning supply...........but is super easy to continuously produce......and a good amount of the pulp (and several producers) are in this country.

Seems odd that multiple majors can't get it back in stock.

Hmmm

Note to folks on food availability; with Maple Leaf closing its Brampton facility temporarily, there will likely be further chicken shortages for a few days, likely by early next week, but possibly sooner.

Some of it is a restocking issue. Some items are "slow-movers", so the computer doesn't re-order them as quickly or as frequently as other items. That doesn't explain the canola oil, though.

As for the vinegar, there have been lots of posts about its ability to kill the virus (questionable at best!), and once bleach and lysol wipes were gone, people were hitting up the vinegar.

Some of it is a restocking issue. Some items are "slow-movers", so the computer doesn't re-order them as quickly or as frequently as other items. That doesn't explain the canola oil, though.

As for the vinegar, there have been lots of posts about its ability to kill the virus (questionable at best!), and once bleach and lysol wipes were gone, people were hitting up the vinegar.

I haven't encountered any major shortages after that mad first-week. The only thing that is consistently missing are the wipes - nothing that couldn't be replaced with good old J-cloth and spray cleaner.

AoD

Our local grocery stores are wiped out on a regular basis; there are daily FB posts "yeast seen at ____", "flour seen at ______" and then a couple of hours later, those are followed up by posts of "it's all gone now".

And yes, the whole wipes thing is ridiculous. So many non-wasteful options available. That and the gallons of hand sanitizer. I get that sometimes you're stuck, but you don't need to use the stuff at home -- especially the sparkly low-alcohol stuff -- just wash your hands.

Our local grocery stores are wiped out on a regular basis; there are daily FB posts "yeast seen at ____", "flour seen at ______" and then a couple of hours later, those are followed up by posts of "it's all gone now".

And yes, the whole wipes thing is ridiculous. So many non-wasteful options available. That and the gallons of hand sanitizer. I get that sometimes you're stuck, but you don't need to use the stuff at home -- especially the sparkly low-alcohol stuff -- just wash your hands.

I am finding laundry detergent and dish soap hard to come by. When I found dish soap at my local wal-mart I bought 8 of them. I know someone at Canadian Tire and 2 gigantic jugs of the stuff given to me.

After the initial panic buying surge, items that are now steadily in stock again at the stores near me are rice, pasta, sauce, canned beans, and tuna. Even bread a few weeks ago had some bleak days. But that's normalized now.

Not too many issues with fresh produce, apart from a couple trips where I couldn't get onions and oranges at Food Basics. Although Freshco was luckily better stocked overall.

Pretty sure I've seen oil (don't remember if necessarily canola though) and bleach available near me.

TP and paper towels seems to go in cycles. They do replenish every few days. But I have plenty already.

Wipes are pretty much universally gone in stores. I have a decent amount at home, and for my parents too. I was luckily enough to order some more from Bed Bath & Beyond online a few days ago.

Sanitizer and hand soap refill I'm good on that. Same with laundry and dish wash detergent for a while. Also stocked up a bunch of body wash and shampoo earlier to avoid having to go to a gongshow place like Wal Mart. Shoppers also have sales periodically.

Dollarama was also good for sponges and more basic cleaning gloves and items.

Staples online are actually a decent source to pick up some household items. I got paper towel and hand soap from them and got it delivered pretty quickly.

I was also luckily able to order protective quality gloves from them too before they sold out.

I'm fascinated by which items are having re-stock issues.

While I don't understand the great TP hoarding phenomenon of 2020; I do get its impact.

I can see why hand sanitizer, wipes and vinegar are in relatively shorty supply; though for the life of me.........all the Heinz squeeze bottles of vinegar? Really? But nobody wants to clean with Allens Vinegar....LOL

I get why baking ingredients have been popular. But while I can find butter and flour and sugar................

Nobody seems to have Canola oil............WTF? We harvest in fall every year, and we're one of the world's (if the not the worlds') leading supplier nation.

We should have enough raw product to take us through September at least.

It should be continuously processed......

Also; I get paper towel running out initially, as a cleaning supply...........but is super easy to continuously produce......and a good amount of the pulp (and several producers) are in this country.

Seems odd that multiple majors can't get it back in stock.

Hmmm

Note to folks on food availability; with Maple Leaf closing its Brampton facility temporarily, there will likely be further chicken shortages for a few days, likely by early next week, but possibly sooner.

It’s weird. Buying patterns have dramatically changed and the usual supply chain flow is having trouble keeping up and catching on with the new patterns.

Last week, I couldn’t for the life of me find eggs anywhere. I went to 6 stores downtown, including a few Shoppers, Loblaws and some local mom and pop stores. Everyone was out. Outside of downtown, I was told there was plentiful supply.

There doesn’t seem to be a problem with egg supply, just predicting where shipments need to go.

Back