News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I have some family members who applied today for CERB, and a friend who chose to go for EI instead because the payout would be more than it.

I saw on Reddit that some people who applied for it yesterday, have already received the money today via direct deposit.

My wife was just laid off, though temporarily. Her job is there when the daycare is open again. I already put in her application for EI.

The provincial government on Tuesday passed an emergency order allowing for legal cannabis stores to offer curbside delivery and pickup service.

I expect that this will continue post-crisis, just like the delivery of alcohol by restaurants.

Plasma from coronavirus survivors found to help severely ill patients

Ian Sample Science editor
Tue 7 Apr 2020 14.22 BST

Doctors have found tentative evidence that seriously ill coronavirus patients can benefit from infusions of blood plasma collected from people who have recovered from the disease.

Two teams of medics working at separate hospitals in China gave antibody-rich plasma to 15 severely ill patients and recorded striking improvements in many of them.

In one pilot study, doctors in Wuhan gave “convalescent plasma” to 10 severely ill patients and found that virus levels in their bodies dropped rapidly. Within three days, the doctors saw improvements in the patients’ symptoms, ranging from shortness of breath and chest pains to fever and coughs.

Xiaoming Yang, from the National Engineering Technology Research Center for Combined Vaccines in Wuhan, described the treatment as a “promising rescue option” for severely ill patients, but cautioned that a larger randomised trial was needed to confirm the findings. Details of the pilot study are reported in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Another team of doctors led by Lei Liu, from Shenzhen Third People’s hospital, gave convalescent plasma to five critically ill patients. All showed improved symptoms after the infusions and within 10 days, three patients were able to come off the ventilators that had been keeping them alive, according to a preliminary report in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

--------------
Hints that the therapy may help have prompted US doctors to trial infusions in the outbreak in New York and similar studies are expected to start in the UK in the coming weeks. Britain’s national blood service has begun screening blood from patients to find plasma rich in antibodies to use in those trials.

Of course there are people who have a religious or personal aversion to blood or blood products. Better for others who don't have such an aversion.

Today's numbers are in.

Modest increase in ICU (233 to 246) 5.6% growth

Modest increase in number of people on Vents. (187 to 195) 4.3% growth

Decline in total number of people in hospital with Covid. (614 to 605) 1.4% decline

Deaths up by 19 (down from 21 yesterday)

Cases up 11.6%

Summation, most of this is good news with the exception of the case growth rate which remains stubbornly high.

The decline in total hospitalization is a first in awhile and good to see.

The resolved rate is also creeping towards 40%

Last edited:
Maple Leaf Foods plant shuts down after three employees test positive for COVID-19

Published Wednesday, April 8, 2020 11:16AM EDT

TORONTO - A major poultry plant in Brampton, Ont. has suspended operations after three people working at the facility tested positive for COVID-19.

In a statement issued late Wednesday morning, Maple Leaf Foods said that the decision to shut down the facility was made “out of an abundance of caution.”

"As a major food company in an essential industry, Maple Leaf Foods is doing everything possible to protect the health of our 13,000 team members while producing the food our customers in North America and Asia need now more than ever,” the company said.

Ford just now ordered grocery stores to close for this Sunday. You can expect Saturday shopping will be a madhouse. Better get out now to get anything you need for the next five days.

I thought most of them were because it's a retail holiday, although I guess this extends to those in designated tourist areas that were able to stay open. (I used to own a grocery store -- this Saturday was always the busiest day, people don't prep for Easter like they do for Christmas)

Had a "virtual appointment" with my doctor via the internet. It was to get my prescription renewed for the year. (Will have my annual physical later in the year, once COVID-19 has settled down.)

Normally, the prescriptions would be for 90 doses, every 3 months. This time its for 30 doses, every month. WTF? This mean I have to go to the pharmacy to pick them up EVERY MONTH, instead of every 3 months. How will this help combat COVID-19, if we have to stand in line to pick up prescriptions?

The pharmacy I use does not deliver, because they have a lower dispensary fee. Now there will be a dispensary fee added on each time the prescription is filled.

(Insert inappropriate graphic meme here.)
Its to prevent hoarding

I thought most of them were because it's a retail holiday, although I guess this extends to those in designated tourist areas that were able to stay open. (I used to own a grocery store -- this Saturday was always the busiest day, people don't prep for Easter like they do for Christmas)

My experience in downtown Toronto is that most were open on Sunday, albeit some with reduced hours, but they still did open.

I've been working from home for almost a month now, so my strategy is to do groceries right at 8 am before work on weekdays. I'm within walking distance to 2 grocery stores nearby, Freshco and Food Basics. Dollarama and Shoppers are also right there. I get in, grab what I need, and get out. Certain things may be hit or miss depending on the day, but I've stocked up enough for a while so I'm comfortable.

Last edited:

Back