News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

North Queen Extension

maxt797

Member Bio
Reaction score
NorthQueenExtension-2009-05-29.JPG

from today's Guardian

Plans are in the works for more big-box retail in the area, so the proposed changes are welcomed.

I would prefer they extend it all the way to Dundas East (connecting with Wharton Way) to give another option getting west as currently you have only queensway and dundas as an option.

I would prefer they extend it all the way to Dundas East (connecting with Wharton Way) to give another option getting west as currently you have only queensway and dundas as an option.
If you're already on Dundas, why wouldn't you just come down the East Mall and turn onto North Queen from there. That's a pretty easy route to manage, unlike turning on from eastbound Queensway.

Looks like a fairly good proposal.

If you're already on Dundas, why wouldn't you just come down the East Mall and turn onto North Queen from there. That's a pretty easy route to manage, unlike turning on from eastbound Queensway.
Looks like a fairly good proposal.

there are only two local roads to cross over across that river/creek (I think its called mississauga creek or something like that), bloor is too far north and lakeshore too far south. This would add third option and sort of go more in straight east west line rather than going north/south on east mall..
ehh, doesnt matter anyhow. just a thought

Lake Shore, the QEW, The Queensway, Dundas, Bloor, Burnhamthorpe, and Eglinton all cross the Etobicoke Creek south of the 401.

Until Hurricane Hazel, Mill Road also crossed the creek, and joined up with what is now called Southcreek. Sherway Drive, between the QEW and The Queensway, has a bridge, but it has only open to pedestrians for a few decades now.

To add another bridge over the Etobicoke Creek, one has to convince two municipalities that it would be a good thing to spend the money. Mississauga has wanted a Rathburn bridge since the neighbourhood went in on the west side of the creek up there, but neither Etobicoke nor Metro (and now Toronto) was ever interested in spending the money to connect there. In this North Queen case I don't think you'd have buy-in from Mississauga. Why would that city want to make it easier for its residents to drive to Toronto to spend their money?

Lake Shore, the QEW, The Queensway, Dundas, Bloor, Burnhamthorpe, and Eglinton all cross the Etobicoke Creek south of the 401.

Until Hurricane Hazel, Mill Road also crossed the creek, and joined up with what is now called Southcreek. Sherway Drive, between the QEW and The Queensway, has a bridge, but it has only open to pedestrians for a few decades now.

To add another bridge over the Etobicoke Creek, one has to convince two municipalities that it would be a good thing to spend the money. Mississauga has wanted a Rathburn bridge since the neighbourhood went in on the west side of the creek up there, but neither Etobicoke nor Metro (and now Toronto) was ever interested in spending the money to connect there. In this North Queen case I don't think you'd have buy-in from Mississauga. Why would that city want to make it easier for its residents to drive to Toronto to spend their money?

For a moment I thought you meant Mayor Hazel tore the Mill Road bridge down with her bare hands or something.

Aside from cost, such a crossing of Etobicoke Creek from North Queen Street would essentially lead nowhere, unless it were extended right through to Dixie Road. This would entail a kilometer or more of new street west of the creek, on fairly valuable industrial land which would have to be purchased.

I'm not so sure about any crossing of the creek at Rathburn Road either. It would channel heavier traffic through a mainly low-rise residential area. This location is part of the Rockwood neighbourhood, where they have a very active residents' association. I can't see them supporting such a proposal. I can't see the Ward 3 councillor supporting it either. It might have been a good idea at one time, but that would have been back in the 70s when Rockwood was developed. We now have a neat pedestrian walkway along the creek (cost shared by the two cities), and I think that will have to do.

Back