News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.3K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 624     1 

Niagara Falls Hilton Phase II (53s, 172m, Stanford Downey Architects)

In addition to the cheesy exterior of this building, I found the decision made by Niagara Falls to install those buttons that must be pushed to activate the pedestrian signal at intersections a big mistake. Tourists just aren't familiar with it and don't become familiar with it in their short stay. The signal doesn't even change immediately, so if you play by the rules, you wait for the light cycle to end in the direction you want to walk in, then the next light cycle to pass before you can walk.

Inevitably, everyone just walks on greens when the orange hand signal is on. I see this lousy car-oriented setup creeping into Toronto as well.

I think it captures the charm and romance of Europe quite well. You people are all just haters and your Euro-phobia is so evident. This tower reminds me of Persian nights and long romantic walks along the seine. :D Niagara is the new Paris. Don't be jealous.

I dunno about "the charm and romance of Europe", but I would say that this building has a Vegas Strip/Disney sensibility, which seems à propos here. I don't think a slick and urbane glass and steel tower would project the "gambling and good times" vibe that Niagara Falls is going for. In it's context, I don't hate it.

I am all down for making Niagara Falls into Las Vegas.

The problem with Niagara Falls today is that it does not get all the tourist as it use to. A great majority of the people their are people from the GTA.

If we have any relatives coming over, we always take them to Niagara falls and that's true for almost everyone I know.

I dont know about that... perhaps the small indpendant hotels and motels out on Lundy's Lane are worse off now, but if tourism is so bad, why build a 50 storey tower such as this not to mention the other major highrises constructed or expanded over the last 20 years? Whenever I am anywhere near the Falls / tourist area I am blown away by the number and variety of US license plates I see, sure I've easily seen 25 - 30 states represented this summer. And try taking a walk down by the Falls, you'll hear people speaking dozens of languages from all over the world.

we should make it one...

It has a massive amount of local traffic as around 10 million people live around 2 hours around it...

Pluis it is known around the world.

That golden dome on the top is hilarious. I can just imagine some exec demanding the architect put it on to make it 'flashy'.

This is a pretty terrible project, but it is Niagara Falls. Tacky works well.

nfhiltonhdr.jpg

Wow you actually made it look rather nice.

Would it be possible to instal Redroom's patina onto Niagra Falls? It would go a long way to improving the look of things there.

While it is unfair to put all of the blame on the architect, as the DiCosimos of Hospitality Hotels and the Hilton chain and the City of Niagara Falls are all complicit, I have finally found the culprit responsible for The Niagara Fallsview Hilton: Stanford Downey Architects.

HiltonNiagaraBothSides750.jpg

HiltonNiagaraNECorner750.jpg

HiltonNiagaraTuscan750.jpg

HiltonNiagaraStreet750.jpg

HiltonNiagaraUpward500.jpg

HiltonNiagaraPlus15s750.jpg

HiltonNiagaraFull750.jpg

Oh - and calling this 'Tuscan' themed? Totally unfair to Tuscany. If anyone can find a photo of what in Tuscany inspired this mess, please post it. Otherwise poor, idyllic Tuscany should noy have its good name dragged through Fallsview.

I think it's perfect.

Interchange, who goes to the Falls to see understated taste? The place has a long proud history of schlock and tackiness. Bring it on, I say! Not to say that an urban revitalization of downtown Niagara Falls wouldn't be a welcomed addition to it all.

Hmmm, true dat. I just lament the newfound heights that schlock and tackiness have been elevated to by this building. If it really were Tuscan themed there would be a 200 foot campanile overlooking a town square of 8 storey apartment blocks, and as odd as that would look in Niagara Falls, at least it wouldn't loom over them!

Back