News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 347     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 360     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

It's clear that Toronto didn't suddenly turn über conservative. Many right wing councillors are being kicked out. Sundercook and Milczyn are out. wow. People want a brand new City Hall. They're getting it.

Yeah! Good riddance! I can't wait until that plan is replaced with NOTHING!

Transit City was flaw for so many reason that we debated over and over again in the Transit City thread.
Streetcars on Sheppard and Eglinton is the dumbest thing you could do and the majority of Transit planner would agree with that.

Transit city belongs on Steeles, Finch, Wilson, Lawrence, Islington, Don Mills.

Eglinton and Sheppard are subways

Paula Fletcher wins in a squeaker. Much closer than I thought.

Bussin will be collecting her pension tomorrow at 9:00 am.

Adam Vaughan in a landslide. Leader of the opposition, anyone?

haha... when I voted, I was thinking... dont know the guy... dont know the guy.... sex scandal, he gets my vote! Congrats Vaughn. That list was mamoth... heck, there was more ward 20 council choices then is usually found on Sudbury's (where I'm from) entire mayoral list.

Many old and new Councillors will have private talks with Ford between now and when the new Council is sworn in. So let's wait and hear their reactions after those meetings as to whether Ford plans to change his mind on certain issues

The sky will not fall in the next 4 years. But nothing will get done either. Its time for everyone who cares about urban issues to get active. I read this site and the others every day, and am up on the issues. However its time to get active! Actually leave the house and make a difference!

Where can i sign up for the Vaughan 2014 campaign?

I think the issue is clearly the turnout - it only looks like 35% maybe it'll hit 40% just about ... just like last time.

How does the mayor have legitimate rule over everyone if ~20% of people (out of those who are eligible) checked off his name on a paper ballot?

What evidence is there that people actually want the supposed services offered by government (given that they are not voluntarily solicited or granted)?

Where is the evidence that the government has jurisdiction if they take their "authority" from the consent of the governed.

Do they care about public opinion? I guess they care about being in control; the organization that they work for; their paycheques and the control freakishness that they can wield against people
The government cares about public opinion to the extent that they are keeping their PR scheme nice and polished (like the "consent of the governed").

You'd think that the mayor who's representing people would say "You know what? I can't, in good conscious, represent people because most people don't think I do. So what I'm I doing here?" That'd be a level of honesty that no politician or mayor could muster, because they don't believe in any of these so-called "social contracts"… they know it's just PR… it's just propaganda that gives them some semblance of legitimacy that allows them to wield the guns of the biggest gang that ever existed.

There is no logic or ethicality to this process.

Umm don't remember Mel at all ? And we had him for two terms ... Ford's quite a bit smarter then him as well.
Mel wasn't hateful. He respected the gay community and even marched in the pride parade. Who wants to take bets Rob wont show up? Mel might of been intellectually weak and a bit unsophisticated but he wasn't racist, mean-spirited or vindictive. Mel also made his wealth on his own. He did not come from money, he accomplished that on his own. That makes a big difference.

Ford does not have 50% of support. Let's be clear on that.
Well, it's pretty damn close. The backlash vote is pretty clear. And so far it's 44.5% voter turnout.

P.S. If by some miracle he does manage to build a subway along Eglinton (and no I don't see it), he could be mayor for several terms.

Mel wasn't hateful. He respected the gay community and even marched in the pride parade. Who wants to take bets Rob wont show up? Mel might of been intellectually weak and a bit unsophisticated but he wasn't racist, mean-spirited or vindictive. Mel also made his wealth on his own. He did not come from money, he accomplished that on his own. That makes a big difference.
Of course Mel was racist. Have you forgotten the cannibalism comment?

Mean-spirited? He threatened to kill a reporter.

Last edited:
So now I suppose it's time to begin supposing which promises Ford will break first?

Or in other words, which gravy will he not find first?

My money's on his transit plans. There's a $2 billion hole there.

Mike Layton is elected

Mary Fragedakis is elected

Josh Colle beats Rob Davis

Sarah Doucette upsets Saundercook

Jay Robinson is beating Jenkins.

Krysten Wong Tam is leading.

Contrary to what Sue Ann Levy et al. will be claiming tomorrow, this is not a stark right-ward shift. This was a Ford phenomenon, pure and simple.

Last edited:

Back