News   Jul 15, 2024
 76     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

PS: I'd rather have an honest conservative than deceitful liberal in power.

Agreed, except that:

1. Joe Clark isn't available
2. Garth Turner's actually a tad flaky
3. Ron Paul's not a citizen
4. Pat Buchanan would exile half of our citizens and build a wall around the city

I've always thought Stephen Colbert should run for office in Canada.

Other than the foregoing, I'm having some trouble filling in my list of "honest conservatives". Who am I missing?

Agreed, except that:

1. Joe Clark isn't available
2. Garth Turner's actually a tad flaky
3. Ron Paul's not a citizen
4. Pat Buchanan would exile half of our citizens and build a wall around the city

I've always thought Stephen Colbert should run for office in Canada.

Other than the foregoing, I'm having some trouble filling in my list of "honest conservatives". Who am I missing?
I should clarify my previous post. When it comes to progressive policies, liberals are not very different from conservatives. I don't care if conservatives like Pat Buchanan is racist, the same policies are ultimately pushed by liberal counterparts.

I've lived in the States, I've seen this first person. There is a reason why somewhere around 70-80% (includes all lengths) of male prisoners are black in US prisons. The policies that result to that are downright racially explicit and it doesn't matter if Reagen started it. Obama and the rest continue it.

Adam Giambrone is NOT gay?

Adam Giambrone is NOT gay... Apparently.

This may be the most shocking thing I've heard all year.

--------

Wait, Adam Giambrone is gay? Actually, he isn't

Updated: Thu Dec. 31 2009 12:56:28 PM

ctvtoronto.ca

Local weekly Now magazine has been forced to change a story in which it predicted that popular local politician Adam Giambrone would become Toronto's mayor in the New Year.

While the young city councillor is considered a dark horse for the mayor's chair, the magazine's retraction had more to do with sexual politics than with the local variety.

In the article, which hit the streets on Thursday, Now wrote that Giambrone had a good shot at the mayor's chair because: "He's young. He's bright. He's gay. And he looks better than any of his challengers so far."

Later on Thursday, however, Giambrone set the record straight on his Facebook page: "Amused but not entirely surprised to learn in NOW Magazine that I'm supposedly gay."

Giambrone went on to write that he has "great relationship" with the gay community in Toronto, but: "so as not to mislead anyone, I should correct the record: I'm not, in fact, gay. Sarah, my partner, has taken the news in stride (and) with good humour ..."

After Giambrone made the comment, Now changed the story on its website to read that Giambrone is "gay-positive."

It's fascinating how many people are keeping their mouths shut on this interesting turn of events.

------------------

Gay? Not NOW, not ever

Giambrone denies report published in weekly mag

By JENNY YUEN, TORONTO SUN
Last Updated: 1st January 2010, 12:22pm

Someone's "gaydar" must have been broken.

At least that's what Councillor Adam Giambrone claims, after NOW Magazine published that he was gay in its issue yesterday.

"There have been rumours out there and that's never been very important to me," Giambrone said. "I work with a lot of people and I go about my life. I don't know if it was an intentional or a joke article, but certainly I'm taking it in stride."

The NOW story, which cheers Giambrone on as becoming the next mayor of Toronto, said the TTC chairman is "young. He's bright. He's gay. And he looks better than any of his challengers so far."

While he hasn't officially thrown his hat into the ring, he told the Sun in November that if and when it happens, he'll announce it on Twitter and Facebook.

He posted his sexual orientation and rebuttal to NOW's piece on his Facebook status, knowing that hundreds of people are part of his social network.

"Easy mistake, given my great relationship with LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and questioning) people/communities and our long-standing mutual support," he wrote as his Facebook status yesterday.

"But so as not to mislead anyone, I should correct the record: I'm not, in fact, gay.

"Sarah, my partner, has taken the news in stride and with good humour and I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it from the LGBTQ people in my life."

'IT WAS WRONG'

NOW changed the story on its website to read that Giambrone is "gay-positive" shortly after Giambrone made the comment.

"It was wrong ... My bad," NOW writer Enzo Di Matteo responded in an e-mail.

Councillor Kyle Rae, who is openly gay, said coming out of the closet won't make people lose votes -- but not being honest about who you really are, might.

"The honesty of who you are is the important part of politics," Rae said yesterday. "There was a fella who ran for city council back in the '90s who put out pictures of himself saying that was his fiancee, and he was gay. He didn't come out for another 10 years, but I think by that time people had forgotten he had run when he was 'straight.' "

DON'T ASSUME

Philip Wong, executive director of Community One Foundation, a prominent organization in the gay community, said people shouldn't assume Giambrone is gay because he might hang around Church and Wellesley Sts.

"The realities of the world is that it's still a challenge for gay and lesbians to be in leadership positions, but that has nothing to do with my comments on Adam Giambrone," Wong said.

"To many people, I'm sure he's a tall, attractive person in a potentially powerful position, so I think people are going to speculate."

Giambrone, for his part, said he's amused "but not surprised" his name would make the queer list in the alternative-weekly.

"People's private lives are their private lives and I think Torontonians for the most part respect that. This is a very diverse city," he said.

"Policy issues, transit questions, those are the important questions. Not whether you have a partner who is male or female."

JENNY.YUEN@SUNMEDIA.CA

Last edited:
I don't find it that interesting. It's a non issue in this city. I'm more concerned about losing Giambrone from council due to a failed mayor run, personally.

Moderator,

Could the thread be re-named to 2010 City of Toronto Elections and comments be posted about Councillor races as well?

I just hope it's someone who was as funny as Mel was. Shaking hands with Hells Angels, making racist comments about going to africa and being cooked in a pot, lol...he was a hoot. Either that or some one who is nice to look at, maybe Sandra Oh.

Moderator,

Could the thread be re-named to 2010 City of Toronto Elections and comments be posted about Councillor races as well?

Not yet. Let's leave it a few more weeks to see who else runs (and who doesn't). Feel free to set up a councillor thread to separate the mayoral and the (at times) interesting local council races).

Back