News   Jul 15, 2024
 382     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 547     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

From what I understand, the police union is one of the most self serving and ruthless unions in Toronto, so if you're anti union....

I'm not exactly sure yet who would represent this well, but my vote would go to a runner who's not afraid to ask for and spend money (and lots of it,) and debate the larger issues more than the smaller ones. It would definitely not go to Miller. I guess you could call him a visionary, but I really don't like the way he's going about getting things done and what he's prioritizing.

Oh, and they would have to take a second glance at Transit City of course ;)

Now - can a candidate support the police but still stand up to their union? Support public transit but stand up to the TTC union? Both of these services are vital but are major suckage on city revenues.

We need a centralist who can do both. Not Miller.

While they're both important now, the TTC Union will probably be a bigger pain in the next few years. Not saying that neither of them are important, but when we start making our transit system more automated and having to lay off drivers due to the decreased number of drivers needed for Busses and LRT/Streetcars, our Mayor's going to have to stand up to the enormous amount of heat form the union. Something like the SRT should not happen; the Union demanded that they keep jobs for drivers, so the TTC put drivers in the RT cars, even though there was absolutely no need for them at all.

EDIT: Depending on how you look at it, Miller is kind of doing both ;)

thats why I think Unions in the public sector need to be stood up....

Look at the cities where Unions rule and the ones that don't.

I am just saying that the Unions have driven the city to spend at unsustainable levels and we will see that in the future as we shall see massive tax hikes. Are these tax hikes going towards Transit or roads,maybe or most likely not. How can I say that???
Well the City budget is up 2 billion dollars or 33% over the past few years and tell me are you getting 33% more services??

No...

I am not saying pay them nothing but the city has been irresponsible giving the Unions pay hikes that it cannot pay for. This with the rising costs, bad economy are going to lead to even large tax hikes from Mr. Miller and company.

Really Miller has increased taxes so much he should be swimming in money yet he is suck a terrible manager that we will be facing large budget shortfalls next year.

Really the Next Mayor of Toronto should be a man who can see that his actions have future consequences.

Last edited:
Interesting Quote

" I guess you could call him a visionary, but I really don't like the way he's going about getting things done and what he's prioritizing. "

That's a really really creative and interesting statement - I wonder if it reflects the overall feeling of people in Toronto.

The appeal of John Tory, Toronto Mayor

Torontonians could relate to Tory, the way they related to Mel Lastman. Mel was much more conservative, but underlying his goofiness he meant well. Tory means well, and is a lot smarter and more sophisticated than Mel could ever hope to be. It’s just possible he could articulate the wisdom of fiscal responsibility in a way Mayor David Miller can’t.

Miller is all utopian ambition -- “Let’s have a world in which there are no cars, and everyone rides their bike to work. In winter. In Toronto...†-- and no common sense. Tory might be able to convince the city’s Woodstock generation he is all for sensible traffic control, without having to plant trees on Jarvis Street to prove it. Maybe he could even champion some transit projects that move people in and out of downtown, where the jobs are, instead of ferrying them east and west across the top of the city, from one mall to another.

Tory is a Toronto kind of guy. A Toronto kind of Conservative. He really deserves to be elected to something. Toronto voters should consider it just another good deed.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...nd-the-appeal-of-john-tory-toronto-mayor.aspx

Only John Tory could topple Mayor Miller

Toronto's incumbent two-term mayor, David Miller, is beatable, many observers conclude, and rightly so. But there is a huge gulp between thinking it now and doing it in November 2010.

"Miller is a very tough opponent," said one political operative who will be backing a centre-right candidate against Miller. "Anybody who thinks differently is smoking something. But his (polling) numbers are lower than (populist ex-mayor Mel) Lastman. And his coalition is narrower."

The consensus is that the kind of candidate who could beat Miller must be moderate and centre-right, possess a public profile and a record of support for city-building initiatives, have business acumen and be able to attract the broad support necessary to raise about $1.5 million to finance the campaign. And, after all that, deliver the goods by standing toe to toe with a slick debater like Miller.

http://www.thestar.com/gta/columnist/article/650330

What I think needs to change is the rights of public sector unions. They are in a very strong position in that they frequently are working for an entity that more or less can't be bankrupted. Furthermore, their employers have monopolies. Thus, I think union wage and benefits should be based on some sort of index of private sector wages. That the vast majority of public sector positions pay much more than comparable private sector jobs reveals how this difference in bargaining strength yields quite inequitable results.

Also, why the hell do retired GM and Chrysler workers get a better pension from the government than I do?

GM and Chrysler unions and workers pay and benefit are bloated beyond anything reasonable.

John Tory? No please. Not with the Federal Conservatives going out the door in the next election.

To be good for Toronto, we need someone who's close with the Liberal party as I sort of believe that they're the next ruling party in Canada.

With problem with Miller is that he's too close to the NDP. That's why he's had so many problems with both upper level governments.

However, unless someone steps out to be significantly better than Miller, I'll be voting to keep our current Mayor. And don't give me that everybody is better than Miller crap either.

The appeal of John Tory, Toronto Mayor
Tory is a Toronto kind of guy. A Toronto kind of Conservative. He really deserves to be elected to something. Toronto voters should consider it just another good deed.

I like this. It's like "Come on, the dude's lost four elections in a ROW! He lost to a musician in Haliburton! Let's give him some sympathy votes!"

Early crystal ball prediction: Tory waffles for too long, then decides to run. Stintz (and maybe Minnan-Wong) runs as well, not deviating from the plan to focus much of their energy on the "war on cars." The conservative/suburban vote gets split between the two camps and Miller, maintaining his strong downtown base, wins.

I don't know why people think Miller needs to be challenged from the right. He's far more vulnerable to a moderate left-wing candidate - someone from the (big-L) Liberal establishment.

I would imagine any strong liberal guy could take him down handily.

Glen Murray? (Though I can see him more likely as an anointed successor than as an opponent...)

Back