News   Jun 21, 2024
 135     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.4K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Whoops (and it was page 72, not 27).

this thread displays as 28 pages long for me. i think your settings (posts per page) is different than mine.

The Giambrone video certainly has gotten attention. In less than a day it has had 13,500 views. By contrast Rocco Rossi's Empire Club video has been out a full week and has managed only 387 views.

Just received an invite from dear Adam himself to his fan page for mayor on Facebook.

There's a particular part of it that made me chuckle, his 'get to know Adam' album of pictures where a good 90% are pictures with his girlfriend. Guess the gay rumours scared him silly!

Just received an invite from dear Adam himself to his fan page for mayor on Facebook.

There's a particular part of it that made me chuckle, his 'get to know Adam' album of pictures where a good 90% are pictures with his girlfriend. Guess the gay rumours scared him silly!

lol! You're right. He even has shirtless pics up. I'm surprised. I guess he's really raising the bar on what part of a Mayoral candidate's personal life is available to the public.

I think he's trying to show that he's human. People complain about politics and politicians being old white men, and he's showing that that doesn't need to be the case. I think he sees social networking as being his key advantage in this race, in the same way Obama used the internet to rally support. Considering he will be the only one running who probably didn't jump on board Facebook and Twitter because he heard about it from an advisor, it's a very smart and natural tool for him to use.

lol! You're right. He even has shirtless pics up. I'm surprised. I guess he's really raising the bar on what part of a Mayoral candidate's personal life is available to the public.

Okay, what now? Tiger Woods-style mistresses?

That might have more to do with the fact that Rossi is one scary cat than with anything Giambrone's about.

The video is worthy of someone running for social director of a suburban high school. As far as mayor of a serious city - "Toronto, I think we have a problem."

Since when does a 1 minute video, made 9 months before an election and before the guy has even declared his candidacy suggest that he's not capable of running a "serious city"? Someone shows some personality and suddenly their ability to lead, including 8 years of being in council, is tossed out the window?

To be honest, I like a guy who can laugh at himself. Giambrone is clearly a bright and well-respected guy and one short video isn't enough in my book to change my opinion of him. Obviously at this point I don't know who I'll vote for because there's no point in making such a decision this early in the game, but for someone to say "I'm not voting for Giambrone because he made a video" is just absurd.

Brilliant?

really?
Really! And it appears to have worked very effectively, getting him free publicity from every major news outlet. The video is harmless, wasn't expensive, and you'd have to have a pretty big stick up your butt to find anything in it to complain about other than production values; I haven't seen any complaints other than production values. But if it was slick and professional then there would be people complaining about the cost.

And as someone pointed out - it's getting about 100-times more views than Rossi's video - even though Rossi's video contains some very controversial platform material; such a cancelling Transit City or removing bike lanes.

Last edited:
Myself and some of you have mentioned our regret of losing Adam Giambrone from the TTC. As I think about it, Giambrone had no other choice. Had he not run for mayor -- and unless Pantalone won -- Giambrone would likely be replaced by Smitherman or Rossi given their positions on changing the direction of our transit system.

Hume has an article about how the TTC is becoming the first campaign issue of the election.

This development could either be a campaign killer or very good for Giambrone. The other candidates will all position him as the head of the "terrible TTC" and voting against him could become an anti-TTC vote, almost guaranteeing the demise of his Mayoral ambitions. On the other hand, Rossi's anti-transit and pro-car positions, could rally the city's transit supporters behind Giambrone in the end.

Toronto's voter makeup has changed a lot since the last election. I'm willing to bet that with our increased downtown density, there will be more transit supporters voting for Toronto's Mayor than before. Rossi is already developing into an anti transit candidate and as much as transit riders might hate the TTC, they don't want the system to lose more funding and cancel service expansion plans.

Smitherman has his own Provincial Government stamp on his forehead haunting him and is competing for Rossi's votes. Pantalone is being seen as Miller's de facto successor -- more so than Giambrone. He is Deputy Mayor after all. Anti-Miller sentiment will hit him hardest.

The TTC chairman must embrace the TTC and either go down with the ship or use it as a platform from which to speak and be heard. He has 10 months to overhaul the TTC's image and roadmap convincingly. It's too late to detach himself from the TTC. Now he can only try his best to make it an asset.

Last edited:

Back