News   Jul 26, 2024
 757     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Thanks Darkstar. I had already printed some and posted them in my building's laundry room but I think I'm gonna print a lot more this weekend and distribute them all over my neighbourhood.

I posted them on our public bulletin boards in our building too, this weekend I'm doing every floor next to the elevator buttons.

And that's different from Smitherman fans how???

FORD VOTERS = SMITHERMAN VOTERS!!!

Why are you ripping on me? Did I ever say I was going to vote for Smitherman?

And get this, maybe, just maybe not everyone who wants to vote for Smitherman is a lost Pantalone vote. Besides, Joe can stay true to whatever he wants to, it's just that a lot of people don't care for the message he's staying true to. If he'd managed to get ahead of George at any point, maybe he'd be running with the "anyone but Ford" portion of the vote. But he's not, as he didn't ever inspire much of a following. Rant all you want about bandwagon jumpers and the like, but this situation is here for a lot of reasons other than just "turncoats" or whatever you want to insult people with.

Last edited:
Firstly, why do you assume I'm voting for Smitherman? Secondly, why would you assume that if I were voting for Smitherman, it would be just because I didn't like Ford.
Any assumptions I've made are general in nature, not about you as an individual.

GenerationW,

We get it, you refuse to vote based on strategic methods. The rest of us would rather be practical and "unprincipled" in preventing what we deem a more damaging candidate from assuming power, even if we aren't voting for our first choice in ideal circumstances. I think your stance is pretty clear, as is ours. You may find Pantalone to be the most principled, but that has not translated at all into success on his part.

Fair enough. Still, I think you're being a little harsh. "Strategic" voting is a nasty consequence of a FPTP system, but I sympathize with those who do it. It's terrible it sometimes comes down to it, but it sometimes does.

Nobody loves strategic voting but not doing it isn't the solution. The solution is electoral reform.

If you can honestly look yourself in the mirror and say that you wouldn't prefer Mayor Smitherman over Mayor Ford, then go ahead and vote for Pantalone.

I honestly think Himy Syed might be better than all the front-runners, but I'm not going to support a candidate with less than 1% support. I'd be a fool to do so under the current system.

It's also funny, I think, how in the last week the collective 'left' have started holding Pantalone up as their principled choice for progressive values. Where the hell were they earlier in the campaign? Did they donate, volunteer on the campaign, help spread the word? Hell, back in January they were all hanging out with Giambrone at Revival, so to pretend like Pantalone is the last, best hope for progressivism in this city is madness.

Nobody loves strategic voting but not doing it isn't the solution. The solution is electoral reform.

If you can honestly look yourself in the mirror and say that you wouldn't prefer Mayor Smitherman over Mayor Ford, then go ahead and vote for Pantalone.

I honestly think Himy Syed might be better than all the front-runners, but I'm not going to support a candidate with less than 1% support. I'd be a fool to do so under the current system.

It's also funny, I think, how in the last week the collective 'left' have started holding Pantalone up as their principled choice for progressive values. Where the hell were they earlier in the campaign? Did they donate, volunteer on the campaign, help spread the word? Hell, back in January they were all hanging out with Giambrone at Revival, so to pretend like Pantalone is the last, best hope for progressivism in this city is madness.

The good news is, I don't think any but the most hard-core Pants supporters could really buy this Smitherman=Ford bullshit. How many arts/environmental/social groups have given George equal or higher marks than Joe? I think it is more than a few.

Edit to add: uh oh! Former Green Party leader Jim Harris endorses George! The Dippers REALLY hate him.

Last edited:
Has CUPE endorsed anyone? Wasn't it only their head that endorsed Pantalone, rather than the entire union?

CUPE head Fred Hahn is urging it's nearly 100 thousand members who live in Toronto to vote for Pantalone.

I find it rather amusing that George seems to be getting endorsed by every union but CUPE (and the ATU I guess).

Yes and what is more interesting is that fact that most of the Union membership don't even live in Toronto. Take the Police force - 75% of the cops live in the 905. These people don't pay property taxes in Toronto and could care less if Toronto goes bankrupt as a result of their salary demands and yet Miller catered to the whims of these 905 groups and it looks like Smitherman will do the same - if elected.

Back