News   Apr 23, 2024
 286     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 866     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 483     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Kiehl’s to Shut 1/3 of its Canadian Stores as it Focuses on Ecommerce and Multi-Brand Retail Distribution

January 27, 2021

L’Oréal-owned, New York City-based beauty and skin care brand Kiehl’s will be shutting eight of its 24 Canadian stores this year as part of a shift for the company to its online channel, while also beefing up retail partnerships.

As part of the shift, Kiehl’s will increase its focus on its direct-to-consumer online channel at kiehls.ca as well as its retail partnerships that includes distribution at Sephora, Hudson’s Bay, Nordstrom, Holt Renfrew, and Saks Fifth Avenue stores in Canada. We reported in August of 2018 that Kiehl’s had struck a multi-year partnership with multi-brand beauty retailer Sephora, for the first time, greatly expanding Kiehl’s distribution in Canada.

The announcement of the coast-to-coast Kiehl’s store closures come at a time when many other retailers are also evaluating store locations, all with the aim of reducing costs by exiting costly leases. The geographic regions where Kiehl’s stores will close include the Greater Toronto Area, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, London, and Halifax.

Two standalone Kiehl’s stores in the Greater Toronto Area will close permanently this year. That includes a street front store at 2518 Yonge Street, north of Eglinton Avenue in an affluent part of the city, as well as a Kiehl’s location at the Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket.

--------
Kiehl’s will continue to operate 16 in Canada. In southern Ontario, Kiehl’s will operate at CF Toronto Eaton Centre, 407 Queen Street (the first in Canada which opened in 2004), Yorkdale, CF Sherway Gardens, Square One, and Mapleview Centre.

Second Cup Coffee Co. to be sold to Quebec restaurant franchiser Foodtastic

February 8, 2021

Aegis Brands Inc. has signed a deal to sell its Second Cup Coffee Co. operations to Quebec-based Foodtastic Inc.

The Mississauga-based company said Monday the coffee chain's sale price includes $14 million in cash, plus a post-closing earn-out.

Aegis Brands said the deal will strengthen its balance sheet and allow it to accelerate its growth strategy through acquisitions.

"We are pleased that the Second Cup brand and franchisees have the opportunity to evolve with a new Canadian partner," Steven Pelton, president and CEO of Aegis, said in a statement.

"At Aegis we will now focus on further development of Bridgehead Coffee and Hemisphere Cannabis, while seeking out exciting new growth and acquisition opportunities."

Second Cup Coffee Co. to be sold to Quebec restaurant franchiser Foodtastic

February 8, 2021

Aegis Brands Inc. has signed a deal to sell its Second Cup Coffee Co. operations to Quebec-based Foodtastic Inc.

The Mississauga-based company said Monday the coffee chain's sale price includes $14 million in cash, plus a post-closing earn-out.

Aegis Brands said the deal will strengthen its balance sheet and allow it to accelerate its growth strategy through acquisitions.

"We are pleased that the Second Cup brand and franchisees have the opportunity to evolve with a new Canadian partner," Steven Pelton, president and CEO of Aegis, said in a statement.

"At Aegis we will now focus on further development of Bridgehead Coffee and Hemisphere Cannabis, while seeking out exciting new growth and acquisition opportunities."

To be fair Second Cup is past its prime. I remember when Second Cup was the Starbucks of Canada in the 1990s. Back then it was bougie flavored coffees and pastries.

Now it's the chain people forget even exists.

To be fair Second Cup is past its prime. I remember when Second Cup was the Starbucks of Canada in the 1990s. Back then it was bougie flavored coffees and pastries.

Now it's the chain people forget even exists.
Ahh....the ever good Noisette!

Timothy's stores also had those constant nausea-inducing flavoured-coffee aromas.

Flavored coffee is an abomination 🤮 Can't stand the taste or smell of it. Timothy's is the worst. They have way too many thermal coffee carafe's filled with coffee that no one drinks, so everything goes stale. One or two blends is all you need.

Flavored coffee is an abomination 🤮 Can't stand the taste or smell of it. Timothy's is the worst. They have way too many thermal coffee carafe's filled with coffee that no one drinks, so everything goes stale. One or two blends is all you need.

That was Second Cup in the 1990s. You had thermal carafes filled with various coffees and little covered trays with danishes.

When I was last in the UK I walked past a (now closed) Second Cup on Portobello Road in London. My cousin saw the Canadian flag on the sign and thought it would be a neat place to stop in. I told him I prefered Costa over Second Cup.

I don’t think Second Cup is beyond rescue. With the right leadership and vision it could again be a strong competitor to Starbucks. It didn’t adapt well to changing market trends and I’m not sure what its proposition is now. But like A&W, I think it could make a comeback with a good strategy.

7-11 would like to sell booze to Ontarians..............no S#@t Sherlock............

But wait...........there is real news in this story........

They want to sell it for on-premise consumption?

Table Service?

In related news.....the 2020 timeline has continued into 2021............the apocalypse is indeed nigh........and who knew that Taco Bell's global domination of food-like sales
after its conquest of the Restaurant Wars would start like this...........(with 7-11 its first victim) ..............

The movie Demolition Man was more prescient than anyone could have known!

Back