News   Apr 25, 2024
 146     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

So Louis Vuitton is opening at Sherway Gardens as per Retail Insider:

http://www.retail-insider.com/#!/2012/09/louis-vuitton-opening-at-torontos.html

Tomorrow they will reveal the new tenants and the floorplan of the new expansion. Awesome!!

Yah, great news! Just saw it as well on Retail-Insider. Sherway is definitely giving Yorkdale a run for its money, and with a new announcement coming tomorrow, it may just be Sherway that launches a bunch of first-to-market brands...which its been doing anyway.

The malls are giving bloor street a run for its money.
Yorkdale and sherway gardens are malls with active recruiting and sales departments. I don't think bloor has that. The BiA on bloor cannot bring retailers in if there's no space available. But how come nobody is building more retail stores on bloor or yorkville area?
Even if the old four seasons builds up, or 1 bloor st builds up, they're still a light years away from being completed and operational. So bloor will stay as is for a while.

Last edited:
As we've seen, however, new chains do not appear overnight. It takes years to get positioned and operational. I think we'll be seeing more announcements as new projects at Yonge/Bloor and Yorkville take shape.

Hot damn.. Sherway is definitely giving Yorkdale a run for its money!!!

From Retail Insider:

http://www.retail-insider.com/#!/2012/09/sherway-gardens-gets-greater-burberry.html

Burberry, Cole Haan, Tory Burch, Ted Baker, Tumi and other new retailers are moving into an expanded Sherway Gardens mall in Toronto. Not to mention a new 138,000 sq ft Nordstrom store and the previously reported Louis Vuitton and Henri Bendel stores. Sherway Gardens' massive, upscale expansion also includes a new 102,000 sq ft Holt Renfrew store, a 19,000 sq ft Harry Rosen store and a 38,000 sq ft replacement Sporting Life store. Nordstrom will move where Sporting Life is currently located, at the south end of the mall.

From Retail Insider:

http://www.retail-insider.com/#!/2012/09/sherway-gardens-gets-greater-burberry.html

Burberry, Cole Haan, Tory Burch, Ted Baker, Tumi and other new retailers are moving into an expanded Sherway Gardens mall in Toronto. Not to mention a new 138,000 sq ft Nordstrom store and the previously reported Louis Vuitton and Henri Bendel stores. Sherway Gardens' massive, upscale expansion also includes a new 102,000 sq ft Holt Renfrew store, a 19,000 sq ft Harry Rosen store and a 38,000 sq ft replacement Sporting Life store. Nordstrom will move where Sporting Life is currently located, at the south end of the mall.

I thought I read somewhere that Yorkdale would be getting Ted Baker and Tumi in their expansion (rumoured). They already have Burberry and Tory Burch, so Cole Haan would be the only difference. In any event, the competition between these malls is a good thing as the consumer benefits the most!

I find it interesting that, what with all the condo development downtown (and the increase in downtown population), we're seeing so much expansion in suburban retail--particularly the high-end variety. (Of course, high-end retail malls do exist outside of city centres, such as Americana Manhasset and the Mall at Short Hills, which exist outside of New York City, but it seems like so many people in the GTA are moving in rather than out.) I know that there were plenty of wealthy people in the suburbs before, yet it seems only now are they being given so many luxury shopping options close to home. Did those people not shop before? Or did they all go downtown?

Still, I wouldn't count downtown out. One Bloor East is an opportunity for more high-end retail on Bloor. And I wouldn't count out the Eaton Centre for additional medium-high end chains. And I'm hoping the Union Station expansion will include some nice retail outlets. I was in Washington DC this summer (by Acela train from NYC) and was admiring the retail at their Union Station. Very nice.

With the new four seasons opening I think that area will get cleaned up and new stores will move in.

From Retail Insider:

I was alwasy under the impression that yorkdale was building its expansion in phases and that this was not its final stage. That there were plans for even more expansion. If that is true, from the artciles I have read in the past, then all sherway may do is speed up yorkdales next expansion. Sherway may be opening its new doors to the announcement of yorkdales next expansion.

I think this isn't Sherway's last expansion either...

There is high demand for space in that mall and even with this extension, it just won't be enough for the brands looking for a way in. Luckily, Sherway has yet to have any lower end retailers.

I find it interesting that, what with all the condo development downtown (and the increase in downtown population), we're seeing so much expansion in suburban retail--particularly the high-end variety. (Of course, high-end retail malls do exist outside of city centres, such as Americana Manhasset and the Mall at Short Hills, which exist outside of New York City, but it seems like so many people in the GTA are moving in rather than out.) I know that there were plenty of wealthy people in the suburbs before, yet it seems only now are they being given so many luxury shopping options close to home. Did those people not shop before? Or did they all go downtown?

Still, I wouldn't count downtown out. One Bloor East is an opportunity for more high-end retail on Bloor. And I wouldn't count out the Eaton Centre for additional medium-high end chains. And I'm hoping the Union Station expansion will include some nice retail outlets. I was in Washington DC this summer (by Acela train from NYC) and was admiring the retail at their Union Station. Very nice.

I don't think yorkdale is in any jeopardy of having problems because of the added condos at downsview park and at the lawrence heights redvelopment. The eglinton lrt will bring new residents to the area as well and yonge and sheppard still continue to grow. Sherway is a whole other story as it is surrounded by a sea of parking. But with all the condos at the water south of high park with the islington and kipling area booming then sherway will have added shoppers as well.

These malls are surrounded by enough people with good incomes who don't have queen street and yonge street to walk to. They will always nEed their own place to shop. And as much as I love isiting new york where almost all the shopping is done outside of malls in the middle of winter the mall is dang nice. Our climate will always have people gravitating towards malls. At the same time we should recognize that almost every other mall and every other plaza is going downhill quickly. 15 years ago big box store plazas were coming up with some nice retail. Now the only big box store location that I don't find ghetto is heartland. Sure sherway and yorkdale are growing and with luxury too boost but almost every other mall is suffering and wall mart has really taken over all the big box plazas.

Sure sherway and yorkdale are growing and with luxury too boost but almost every other mall is suffering and wall mart has really taken over all the big box plazas.

I think it's ultimately a way for the "nicer" malls to differentiate themselves from the big box or discount malls (and attract a different (higher end) clientele) - by going upscale.
In a sense, it's a bit like HBC's repositioning of The Bay - differentiating from Target and Wal-Mart.

At the same time we should recognize that almost every other mall and every other plaza is going downhill quickly. 15 years ago big box store plazas were coming up with some nice retail. Now the only big box store location that I don't find ghetto is heartland. Sure sherway and yorkdale are growing and with luxury too boost but almost every other mall is suffering and wall mart has really taken over all the big box plazas.

Not sure I agree with you.

Let's look at traditional shopping malls in the GTA:

Fairview, STC, Markville, SQ1 - Renovated and adding new/better stores

Big box power centres (the ones I can think of off the top of my head) - Woodbine and Hwy 7, Yonge and Hwy 7, Eglinton and Warden, Kennedy and 401. All seem to be doing well.

Lower end malls like bridlewood mall at Warden and Finch I agree are nothing to write home about. However they have been stuck in neutral for quite a while. Their current state is not a new phenomenon.

Not sure I agree with you.

Let's look at traditional shopping malls in the GTA:

Fairview, STC, Markville, SQ1 - Renovated and adding new/better stores

Big box power centres (the ones I can think of off the top of my head) - Woodbine and Hwy 7, Yonge and Hwy 7, Eglinton and Warden, Kennedy and 401. All seem to be doing well.

Lower end malls like bridlewood mall at Warden and Finch I agree are nothing to write home about. However they have been stuck in neutral for quite a while. Their current state is not a new phenomenon.

Maryville and sq1 are not in toronto so of course those areas need malls as well. How are the other malls doing around them I would ask? Fairview and stc don't have a harry Rosen and stc doesn't have a birks. I'd suggest that even though those two malls were renovated they may be doing well in the mid market (forever 21 and gap like stores) but they aren't high end. My reply was about how can the suburbs continue to expand their malls with high end stores when the market trends is that the wealthy people are leaving the suburbs for the city. As for the power centre's I know it's only one example but how many times has that dessert restaurant across from chapters at Kennedy and 401 reopened under another brand. There's also a dollar store in the plaza now. The stores are a representation of the market.

Maryville and sq1 are not in toronto so of course those areas need malls as well. How are the other malls doing around them I would ask? Fairview and stc don't have a harry Rosen and stc doesn't have a birks. I'd suggest that even though those two malls were renovated they may be doing well in the mid market (forever 21 and gap like stores) but they aren't high end. My reply was about how can the suburbs continue to expand their malls with high end stores when the market trends is that the wealthy people are leaving the suburbs for the city. As for the power centre's I know it's only one example but how many times has that dessert restaurant across from chapters at Kennedy and 401 reopened under another brand. There's also a dollar store in the plaza now. The stores are a representation of the market.

To the folks surprised there isn't more high end retail in the core ... why is that such a big surprise ? I won't comment on how much retail there, rather the "increase in it". Now even with all the people moving into the core I'd argue very few of these are at the very high end of the spectrum. Lots of middle and upper middle class, folks that couldn't afford to step foot in many of these stores. You may argue, what about the luxury condos ? I'd argue many of those folks were already in the core or close to it and already shopping in the vicinity.

Also keep in mind there has been a lot of new non-high end retail throughout the core, namely due to retail space in condo developments.

Back