News   Mar 28, 2024
 470     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 313     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 330     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

I think I went through that store once and walked out. Nothing really unique or interesting and at a substantial premium, beyond what could be justified experientially (just goods piled to the ceiling on wireframe racks).

Oops.
Bed Bath and Beyond is gone.

Almost everything "home" I've bought for the past five or six years from bath towels to bed sheets to kitchen doohickeys I have bought off Amazon . That was after going comparison shopping at stores like this (also Home Sense) and finding literally every single thing significantly higher priced and often obviously lower quality.

EDIT: the "almost all" above is to note there is one Canadian retailer I still visit for this stuff which surprisingly is Canadian Tire. They are the one place I have regularly found good value for quality home stuff. Their online shopping is a pretty good experience too after many years of troubles getting it going.

I think Kitchen Stuff Plus was a tough competitor for them. Lots of storebrand product, better price ranges overall, and the store doesn't take 30M to walk through.

BBB wasn't terrible at everything, and had some decent category depth in places; but like many U.S. retailers they were surprisingly poor at pricing checking their competition.

One of the things that jumped out at me early w/them was the price of Peppermills. I like good ones that last, usually wood, and I'm prepared to pay a bit extra for that.

But they had medium sized ones at $60++ ; while at KSP the comparable product was 1/2 that.

Since IKEA opened downtown I find that it has become my go to place for textiles. Have probably spent $1000 there in the last year.

All that said, Amazon and others moving toward paid returns (as opposed to free) may lead to a bit of a resurgence in bricks and mortar. I always tended to limit Amazon purchases to things I knew I was unlikely to return or couldn't reasonably buy elsewhere. Items I wanted to be able to inspect before bringing home I'd prefer to buy in person.

Check out this article in today’s Toronto Star about how Loblaws and Walmart beat up their suppliers, https://archive.is/yHQP7

This has always bugged me, and is one of the reasons I always prefer export sales, you sell it, get paid, ship it, and forget it.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the charges going back and forth between suppliers and retailers are just trying to baffle each other with bullsh!t. It is a gigantic waste of admin resources, when these partners should be negotiating hard on actual price. Unfortunately, the retailers don't want to be disadvantaged vs their peers so adopt the some practices. I'm not sure regulation could solve this problem. Banning listing fees would be a good first step.

I think a lot of the charges going back and forth between suppliers and retailers are just trying to baffle each other with bullsh!t. It is a gigantic waste of admin resources, when these partners should be negotiating hard on actual price. Unfortunately, the retailers don't want to be disadvantaged vs their peers so adopt the some practices. I'm not sure regulation could solve this problem. Banning listing fees would be a good first step.
I used to manage sales to Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Walmart and other large chains. We were big enough that if Canadian Tire, for example tried some malarkey with chargebacks and new fees we’d cut them off. When Pepsi-Frito-Lay did that to Loblaws we all cheered a little.

We buy most of our groceries at Costco. They treat their suppliers better and have competitive prices. The only challenge we face is now that we’re empty nesters what do I do with 4L of margarine? Lol

845188.jpg

I'm not convinced that Frito was the hero in that spat. Prices of their products are way up.

I'm not convinced that Frito was the hero in that spat. Prices of their products are way up.
Ah, good point. I haven‘t knowingly bought a bottle of Pepsi products or any soda for that matter in years, and the only chips we buy are the giant bags of Cape Cod brand at Costco.

On another topic, my young adult kids have never had a Big Mac, and haven‘t eaten at McDonalds since they were little kids and we’d stop for the five-pack (that’s six less the Dad tax) McNuggets. I can’t imagine McDonalds is going to do well in the coming decades, outside of breakfast. And who the heck is still eating at KFC?

Ah, good point. I haven‘t knowingly bought a bottle of Pepsi products or any soda for that matter in years, and the only chips we buy are the giant bags of Cape Cod brand at Costco.

On another topic, my young adult kids have never had a Big Mac, and haven‘t eaten at McDonalds since they were little kids and we’d stop for the five-pack (that’s six less the Dad tax) McNuggets. I can’t imagine McDonalds is going to do well in the coming decades, outside of breakfast. And who the heck is still eating at KFC?
Go see how busy a McDs is in the downtown core food courts is during lunch hour. They've adapted quite well. Can't say the same for KFC. Popeye's has taken over as the dominant fried chicken chain, at least in Toronto.

Go see how busy a McDs is in the downtown core food courts is during lunch hour. They've adapted quite well.
Even on Mondays or Fridays? I’ve heard those are ghost towns no matter what’s available.
Can't say the same for KFC. Popeye's has taken over as the dominant fried chicken chain, at least in Toronto.
My kids love Popeyes. My friend is a lead in Popeyes franchise expansion and says it’s going gangbusters.

My kids love Popeyes. My friend is a lead in Popeyes franchise expansion and says it’s going gangbusters.

Walking Danforth the other day I saw the first Popeyes that I've seen 'shuttered' in a long time. The one in Greektown is toast.

Did Mary Brown's which set up less than a block away play a role?

Back