News   Apr 18, 2024
 708     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.4K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Yes, I saw it last week and was rather flummoxed by its presence. I kinda thought the chain was done.

Yeah, the hype has definitely died down for a few years now. I remember lining up for it back in 2014 or 15, and being underwhelmed.

But they still seem to be holding down a presence around the GTA. Locations found at Bay & Dundas, Union Station, Dufferin Mall now, Orfus Road, Yorkdale, Pacific Mall, Hillcrest Mall and Square One.

I guess these suburban locations are serving a lot of their current base. 🤷‍♂️

Last time I went to the Bay location, shortly before the pandemic, there was a 5 person deep line still.

Yorkdale frequently sells out of the tarts by mid day it seems.

I work near their 2 downtown locations (Bay and Dundas, University and Dundas) and neither one looked busy anymore even before the pandemic. I can't even tell if the one at University and Dundas is still operating...

I work near their 2 downtown locations (Bay and Dundas, University and Dundas) and neither one looked busy anymore even before the pandemic. I can't even tell if the one at University and Dundas is still operating...

I wouldn't go back. The line up gimmick turned me off back when they first opened. I got there early once, they were so damn slow, but they do that so the line up builds up, it creates a scene, " oh look at the lineup! it must be good!"

The cheesecake was alright, but it wasn't the best, and it wasn't worth 25 to 30 minutes i wasted in a fairly in small line. It's not like you can't get Japanese cheesecake anywhere else in Toronto.

New York style cheesecake isn't what they sell if anyone is trying to replicate it.

You'll need a Japanese cheesecake or cotton cheesecake recipe to make what they sell.

Never said it was the same, I am just saying Japanese Cheesecake is overrated.

Popularity of the Bay and Dundas Uncle Tetsu locations also faded through the years as more dessert type places in the area. Prior to the pandemic, the several blocks along Dundas between Bay and University had quite a boom going on with Tsujiri, Pablo, Butter Baker, Fugo Desserts, and a bunch of bubble tea shops adding to the competition in dessert treat alternatives.

Popularity of the Bay and Dundas Uncle Tetsu locations also faded through the years as more dessert type places in the area. Prior to the pandemic, the several blocks along Dundas between Bay and University had quite a boom going on with Tsujiri, Pablo, Butter Baker, Fugo Desserts, and a bunch of bubble tea shops adding to the competition in dessert treat alternatives.
I spoke too soon - there was a lineup for Uncle Tetsu’s on Friday.

T&T Supermarket is opening at Fairview Mall in winter 2022, and expected to occupy a chunk of their former Sears store space on the ground floor:

Last edited:

Back