News   Jul 15, 2024
 70     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Agreed. Roots clothing just looks and feels like pyjamas to me now. They had a great concept and brand that they could have expanded to include housewares, furniture, fashion and leather goods but instead have kind of frittered it away little by little.

Spencer Gifts at Square One is finally giving up. Looks like they will be gone within days. That means there are three empty (but non-continuous) units in that immediate area (Spencer, Unicus and the old leather store). Might be some more tenant shifting about to take place. Bulk Barn is also currently closed for renovations.

Reitmans at the Eaton Centre has temporarily closed and will be opening a "new concept" store in April.

My most demeaning student summer job experience, circa 1972, was taking a window display course with Reitmans. It included standing in mall store windows and changing the clothes on the fashion mannequins - wrestling to remove their bras and skirts and blouses and hosiery and replace them with different garish polyester outfits. What a chore - I couldn't understand why straight guys found undressing chicks so much fun.

Why were they evicted?

Well "evicted" isn't really the right word. You can't "evict" someone who has a space for free, can you? Square One needed the space back for use as retail, so SOYC had no choice. Clearly a company like Roots which had just downsized it's prime Bayview Village location wasn't about to make their Square One location bigger.

But yeah, in summary they were evicted to reunite the units to give whoever is taking it more space, I imagine.

My most demeaning student summer job experience, circa 1972, was taking a window display course with Reitmans. It included standing in mall store windows and changing the clothes on the fashion mannequins - wrestling to remove their bras and skirts and blouses and hosiery and replace them with different garish polyester outfits. What a chore - I couldn't understand why straight guys found undressing chicks so much fun.

Maybe cuz they're straight?

I am still surprised that the LUSH store in Eaton Centre is the only one downtown. I figured by now there'd be one in Yorkville or atleast Queen West.

I am still surprised that the LUSH store in Eaton Centre is the only one downtown. I figured by now there'd be one in Yorkville or atleast Queen West.

There used to be one in Yorkville. It's where eleven boutique is now (formerly RK).

Okay actually now that you mention that, I definitely have seen it a million times now.

I'm just surprised the demand isn't greater. Ah well

That must be it. Thanks.

Meanwhile, back on the retail front - though not in a mall - I bought a lovely baby blue woolen scarf and mauve toque at the St. Vincent de Paul thrift shop at 253 Broadview this afternoon - a buck a piece!

Mauve toque - I love the sound of it.

Apparently the old Roots at Bayview Village is becoming a Pusateri's.
Seems to make sense since it's obviously their demographic and Loblaw's is a surprisingly annoying hall upstairs at the other end of the mall.

BCBG at the Toronto Eaton Centre is under renovations. The temporary store is on the first floor, by the south food court.

Back