News   Apr 26, 2024
 163     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 164     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 596     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Yes, but for people who actually live in MCC and do not have a car, there is no options. And this will be the only one. I guess the people moving in all of the condos have tons of money.

But don't forget there'll be a grocery store in Parkside Village, isn't there?

I actually think Daniels will be first. I've heard they are actively trying to secure a grocery store for one of their future phases. (Next phase is supposed to be another twin tower development btw)

Yes, but for people who actually live in MCC and do not have a car, there is no options. And this will be the only one. I guess the people moving in all of the condos have tons of money.

I think the more likely answer is that the vast majority of condo dwellers in the MCC have a car and are likely to do their heavy duty shopping at one of the many existing places within a 5-10 minute drive. I assume the stores going into one or more of the new condos will be the urban format and are likely more attractive spaces to the regular grocery store chains.

OTOH, Whole Foods Markets is a chain that people will travel longer distances to use (as we do with the Oakville store) and a stand alone location next to a major mall like Square One is probably ideal for them.

Last edited:
I made this mashup of what I'd like to see them add on top of the section with the Tim Hortons/Scotiabank/Shoppers with the skylights that look up to the parking lot above:

4191364905_ac26d3caff_b.jpg

As you can see the stores on the north side would front onto Square One Drive. The hallway would go from where the community police station is to the Sears doors. The part up to Square One Dr is not to scale as its not shown fully on the Oxford leasing PDF. The space next to "Abercrombie" could be a hallway leading up to the City Centre Transit Terminal lined with smallish retailers (a la Yorkdale).

Last edited:
Good plan in theory...In reality, however, not one of those tenants would ever take a position on dead run between Sears and Zellers.

Cool though

That leads to a maintenance hallway, but I get the idea. That whole 'unfinished' upper floor has always annoyed me. It creates a horrible parking area above, and leaves the 'ghetto' dead-end part of the mall underneath.

Your idea makes the most sense, with the retail fronting Square One Dr. But it should also incorporate access to the transit terminal (preferably entirely covered, like a bridge over the road directly to the bus level).

That leads to a maintenance hallway, but I get the idea. That whole 'unfinished' upper floor has always annoyed me. It creates a horrible parking area above, and leaves the 'ghetto' dead-end part of the mall underneath.

Your idea makes the most sense, with the retail fronting Square One Dr. But it should also incorporate access to the transit terminal (preferably entirely covered, like a bridge over the road directly to the bus level).

Ideally yes, they would connect the mall with the transit terminal as I mentioned, like at Yorkdale. Although clearly that'd cost a bit more. I think actually adding the second floor there would be relatively cheap. It's seen on the Square One plan that I've posted before, that also showed the developments on Square One Dr long before they were under construction. So I'm sure it'll happen, eventually.

EDIT:

When I was at Square One last, I noticed F/X La Salle and Randy River were having lease expiry/store closing sales. Anyone know what's replacing them?

Last edited:
Sole Mio at the Eaton Centre is gone. Any idea who is coming in?

When I was at Square One last, I noticed F/X La Salle and Randy River were having lease expiry/store closing sales. Anyone know what's replacing them?

It would appear that Roots is moving to the Randy River location. Quite the downsizing if so - 6340 to 1200 sq ft?

It opens up a large prime (across from Apple) space for a new retailer, though.

I heard that Roots' temporary location was where F/X La Salle used to be. So where Randy River would be their permanent new home? That would be a very small Roots.

I knew Roots must be moving when it was announced that the Square One Youth Centre was being evicted from the mall. Roots is unit 2-144A and the SOYC is unit 2-144. The most logical assumption is that they're rejoining those two units, which combined 8030 sq ft, a very decent size for a store (assuming the 2-144 isn't being subdivided along the opposite axis for two frontages).

What I'd like to see at Square One is Abercrombie & Fitch. Hollister would be good too, but I'm not too crazy about them. I have also heard that American Apparel was planning to come to Square One this year.

Let's see how big A&F, HCO, AA (and Roots) are at Sherway/Eaton Centre/Yorkdale (wherever they apply):

A&F:
7312 sq ft @Sherway
10,680 sq ft @Eaton Centre

HCO:
6125 sq ft @Sherway
8247 sq ft @Eaton Centre

AA:
2236 sq ft @Sherway
2860 sq ft @Yorkdale

Roots:
2241 sq ft @Sherway
2944 sq ft @Yorkdale
7665 sq ft @Eaton Centre

Last edited:
Roots has been on a real downsizing mission over the years, Sherway was the first to downsize from about 6,000 to 2,000 to make way for kids abercrombie. Bayview Village also went from about 7500 to 1500.
They seem a little lost these days. Cools stuff, good quality, but sort of lost their way since they dropped the leather goods, etc.

Back