News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     0 

New University...where should it go?

I've frequently had back to back classes. I also know a fair number of double degree students (one degree each from UW and WLU) who spend a great deal of time running back and forth. It's a hassle, and UW and WLU are about a block or two apart.

Having the possibility that you might need to commute between classes doesn't seem too green to me. I would think it would make more sense to congregate as much of the campus in the same location as possible so people can walk between classes and to avoid the school from needing to provide duplication. The only time a new campus would make sense is when the local population can support a full size stand alone university.

I like the idea of making Sheridan a university. Sheridan University has a nice ring to it. A quick Google search doesn't show any actual Sheridan University, but links to the Sheridan we all know and love. And if Mississauga and Oakville were to ever merge (completely hypothetically), they'd probably take the name that they both share, which is Sheridan.

Momentum Grows

No-frills university urged in GTA
February 13, 2009

Louise Brown
EDUCATION REPORTER

Ontario should consider creating a new university in the GTA – undergraduates only, very little research – to handle the explosion of 25,000 extra students expected in bachelor programs over the next 15 years, urges a report by the province's advisory body on higher learning.

The study, being released today by the Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario, calls on Queen's Park to consider launching a new undergraduate university somewhere in Greater Toronto – largely focused on arts and science – as well as an "open" online university, and suggests letting a handful of community colleges offer a wider range of degrees.

The surge of students is being fuelled by the boom of new Canadians in the GTA, plus a growing interest in post-secondary education.

But the 30-page report suggests steering clear of starting any more full-service universities, designing a new breed of "polytechnic" institutions for higher-level technical learning, or letting community colleges offer the first two years of four-year university programs, as is allowed in Western Canada.

"There's no one solution for handling this crunch in enrolment, but in the United States some institutions strictly focused on undergraduate education have tremendous reputations," said co-author Glen Jones, professor of higher education at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto. He wrote the report with fellow OISE professor Michael Skolnik.

If the big push is for undergraduate courses, Jones said, you need a campus that's light on research where professors can spend up to 90 per cent of their time teaching.

Toronto university officials hailed the idea.

"We welcome the proposal for a new undergraduate institution with laser-like focus on the liberal arts," said David Naylor, president of the University of Toronto.

Naylor has joined the heads of Ryerson and York universities in warning they cannot handle the enrolment boom on their already crowded, largely landlocked campuses.

"Our Scarborough and Mississauga colleges are already chockablock, and in the best of all worlds it would be nice on our downtown campus to give students more space, more grace and a nicer pace," he said. Ryerson president Sheldon Levy said his university has no room to take more undergraduates despite a 10 per cent jump in applicants this year. "So if we can't meet the needs of students who want to study in the GTA, we must accept that others can."

However, John Davies, president of Humber College, said he was disappointed the report suggests only "two or three" colleges be allowed to offer more bachelor's degree programs to meet the demand that is expected in business, social sciences and humanities. Humber already offers 14 degree programs.

"It strikes me as a very university-centred view of the world, considering colleges provide a type of access to post-secondary programs that frankly is hard for others to offer," he said.

An open university, the report says, would be more than just a school offering courses online – most universities do that already – but would be a virtual campus open to anyone regardless of academic qualifications. It would also give credit for life experience, take new students throughout the year and be more affordable.

The Alberta government runs a virtual campus – Athabasca University – which drew more than 10,000 undergrads in 2006-7 from Ontario, or more than one-third of its enrolment. Almost all Ontario community colleges let students finish certain degrees through this university, particularly in business, justice studies and science.

Instead of making it easier for people to get university degrees and hence watering down yet another tier of education, universities should focus on trying to get only the brightest and the best from across the world so that my degree will mean something in 25 years.

Owen Sound could use a university. All they have is a Georgian College campus.

I'm sure students would love it, close to the beach and to Blue Mountain.

Instead of making it easier for people to get university degrees and hence watering down yet another tier of education, universities should focus on trying to get only the brightest and the best from across the world so that my degree will mean something in 25 years.

Exactly...we should be expanding the college diploma system instead. It's a waste to send thousands of kids for liberal arts and science degree to only have them work data entry jobs in the financial district. I say don't build another university. Expand colleges and trades and leave the universities for the truly best and brightest and most academically inclined.

Cottage country. Buy some of the cottages and turn them into house-style residences.

Why not just convert Georgian into a university?

If any college is converted to a university, it'll likely be Humber. Humber's "official" name is now Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning anyway.

I still say the Penetang/Midland area would be great...far enough away that the kids won't come home every weekend, but close enough to be on the GTA's radar (so kids will actually go there). Many cottages on various lakes would make great houses. Both Midland and Penetanguishene are small enough that adding a university could turn them into real college towns.

There's also no reason Seneca, Humber, and Centennial, among others, couldn't be like 50% larger.

I absolutely love the idea of Midland as a college town. Though I think the CN or CP ROW into Midland should be rebuilt to allow for easy travels to Toronto from there. Even a limited service GO/VIA route from Bolton (with stops in Tottenham, Alliston and Angus) would be great, branching off the CP near Coldwater and heading into town via an existing ROW.

Orillia wouldn't be bad either.

Oakille has A LOT of land north of the QEW, maybe it's not ideal but if they were to plop down a large campus there, link it to GO and have 407 express shuttles running from the MCC and Yorkdale it might work. Those east of downtown wouldn't want to make this a daily commute. Sheridan college in Oakville is booming. There's a lot of affluent families in Oakville, Burlington and Mississauga who would rather send their kids away for school I'm sure but where else do we have the land in close proximity to build a mega-campus along the lines of what York has to accomodate 40,000 students complete with the necessary sprawling parking lots (which can later be filled in with parking structures as development intensifies as York has been doing).

The former OPP lands (McLaughlin/Queen) would be a great idea for Brampton, it being on the edge of the intensification area and not too far from the GO station, and on the Acceleride corridor. The City owns it (called the "Flower City Community Campus", basically a senior's centre and overflow city hall offices), waiting for some big thing to be proposed there, like a new second hospital, or a university.

The semi-derelict industrial lands directly on the south side of Queen between Queen and the 410 would be good too, it's also in the OP for revitalization/intensification.

I don't have a hard time picturing a new campus in Springdale. After all, I've seen UOIT.

When the City first inherited/purchased the OPP Lands (after the provincial government of the day moved the OPP to buy votes) the then Mayor (Robertson) was a proponent/advocate for using the lands for a university campus......given that the UofT has a Mississauga campus....is there any other city in Canada with a population nearing 500k that does not have a University campus?

Not sure if anyone continues to push the idea (Mayor Robertson did not get very far with it).

Last edited:

Back