News   Jul 16, 2024
 108     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 864     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 987     1 

New Transit Funding Sources

How will Eglinton West connect to the airport through the richview corridor?

If you read the Environmental Assessment (see this link), the right-of-way will make a right turn at Commerce Blvd. (one block west of Renforth Drive). There will be a stop there to allow a transfer to the Mississauga/GO BRT station. The LRT would then cross the 401 on its own bridge. It will then follow Convair Drive and Silver Dart Drive where the EA ended (two stops). The actual connection to Pearson is subject to a separate study.

That would be part of phase two.

Last edited:
If you read the Environmental Assessment (see this link), the right-of-way will make a right turn at Commerce Blvd. (one block west of Renforth Drive). There will be a stop there to allow a transfer to the Mississauga/GO BRT station. The LRT would then cross the 401 on its own bridge. It will then follow Convair Drive and Silver Dart Drive where the EA ended (two stops). The actual connection to Pearson is subject to a separate study.

That would be part of phase two.

Thanks.

Asking for money and then giving vague promises isn't good enough and will not get public support.

Toronto could do a thesis on how to make pretty new maps with pretty new lines for mass/rapid transit and then build nothing but still try to convince the citizens how they are taking "bold action".

Torontonians are so tired of money requests and when forked over they get vague promises of lines to be built in the future. Well with Toronto average a truly stellar 6km of subway expansion per decade over the last 30 years, the citizenry have grown tired and cynical. I bet most Torontonians don't even think Eglinton will be built on time and certainly not on budget.

A citywide {and perhaps GTA wide} plebisite should be held with abinding result so that it can not be politically manipulated by Ford people who will avoid any taxes or Miller boys who think anything but LRT is non "great city building".

Before the plebisite there should be a program available online, on newspapers, libraries etc with what the taxes would be, where the lines would go, the technology to be used, if it is atgrade, elevated, underground etc ...everything. This along with costs and VERY importantly, firm timetables. "In the near future" means nothing in Toronto. How many times has Toronto talked about the DRL being built "in the near future"?............enough said.

It should also be made clear that the lines they will be getting will be truly rapid. That doesn't neccessarily mean total grade separation but it should mean average speeds of atleast 25km/hr.............none of this stopping every 2 to 3 blocks and waiting for advanced green lights ad nauseum. If the city is asking for funds for rapid transit it should be exactly that where stops average approx 1 per km. By putting this done on the plebisite no one can bitch later about having to walk a few extra blocks to get to a station, that's what local transit is for.

Metrolinx, City Hall, and the TTC have zero credibility in Toronto and they have justly earned that reputation. People don't trust them and if it's not in writing they will not beleive the money will be spent to where it is suppose to go and certainly nopt cost effectively on on a firm deadline.

If you choose all the taxes you get A, if only some B, if none then you get squat.

A big complaint I have against Metrolinx's handling of the funding is about how 25% of the $34bil isn't going to Next Wave projects to fund local transit and highways. When I was at a Metrolinx public consultation this was never mentioned. Yet, at one of Toronto's Feeling Congested meeting it was clearly presented. Metrolinx needs to get their act together on presenting the numbers if they want to public to pay up.

The 1946 referendum to approve construction of BOTH the Yonge heavy rail and Queen light rail subways was conditional on a 20% subsidy from the federal government. When the federal deal fell through, the Queen light rail subway was dropped from the plans and "postponed".

The two subways project was budgeted to cost $42.3 million. The now one subway project was then budgeted for $32.4 million. When the Yonge subway finally opened in 1954, the total cost was around $67 million. The blame for the increased cost was a steel shortage as well as the Korean War, which also stretched out the construction time.

Mayor Rob Ford tells Wynne he’s ‘adamantly’ opposed to road tolls

Read More: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...amantly-opposed-to-road-tolls/article8763838/

While both the province and the city are holding consultations to gauge public support for a range of new revenue sources, Mr. Ford indicated Friday he is not swaying from his long-time opposition to new fees, sending that message to Ms. Wynne in a brief phone call.

- “If the province puts it through, that’s up to them,†Mr. Ford told reporters. “I talked to Premier Wynne last week, told her adamantly I’m opposed to tolls. And she said we agree to disagree, which is fine.†The provincial transit agency for the Toronto region, Metrolinx, is expected to make recommendations on funding tools in June and the city is also considering its options.

- Mr. Ford said he knows where Toronto residents stand. “People don’t want a tax increase, it’s simple,†he said, adding later, “She has to look at all the options, but I’m not going to implement a new tax, I’m not going to implement tolls on the people of the city.†The mayor said he also is opposed to reviving the plans to take down the eastern section of the Gardiner Expressway. Keeping the crumbling raised highway safe for drivers is expected to cost the city about half a billion dollars over the next decade. “Not while I’m mayor, I’m not going to be tearing down the Gardiner, that’s for sure,†Mr. Ford said.

ford16nw1.JPG

When is Green P going to be dumped? All the money wasted on subsidized parking encouraging driving when we're trying to resolve congestion problems. Can anyone take Toronto seriously about mass transit with all of the Green P lots?

When is Green P going to be dumped? All the money wasted on subsidized parking encouraging driving when we're trying to resolve congestion problems. Can anyone take Toronto seriously about mass transit with all of the Green P lots?

The Green P lots generally make money for the city, going towards general revenue. Why do shopping malls provide free parking? That subsidized parking comes from the sales within the mall. The roads around the mall are maintained through property taxes.

The Green P lots generally make money for the city, going towards general revenue. Why do shopping malls provide free parking? That subsidized parking comes from the sales within the mall. The roads around the mall are maintained through property taxes.

Those people could still generate money if they came down by transit and put less pressure on infrastructure. I'm from the UK, we paid for parking to do our shopping whether it was at the supermarket or a shopping center. I don't see why all of these parking lots are free to start with. You're using the parking space, pay for it. It's skewed reasoning. These places don't shut down when you charge for parking.

Mayor Rob Ford tells Wynne he’s ‘adamantly’ opposed to road tolls
So now Rob Ford is joining the war agains the car.

I want to be able to drive in rush-hour rather than sitting in a parking lot.

Couldn't we at least toll the expressways, so that they actually move?

Back