News   Jul 16, 2024
 241     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 998     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

New Transit Funding Sources

Concerning road tolls. If Toronto still had its city motor vehicle registration fees, we would then have a database of Toronto owned motor vehicles. Then using that database, we could have given discounts, or no tolls at all, for Toronto-based motor vehicles on Toronto-owned toll roads (which could be the Gardiner Expressway and the Don Valley Parkway).

Unfortunately, we don't, so all would have to pay to use toll roads in Toronto.

Concerning road tolls. If Toronto still had its city motor vehicle registration fees, we would then have a database of Toronto owned motor vehicles. Then using that database, we could have given discounts, or no tolls at all, for Toronto-based motor vehicles on Toronto-owned toll roads (which could be the Gardiner Expressway and the Don Valley Parkway).

Wouldn't MTO have that data for license plate registrations? I thought the address was tied into the system as well.

The gas tax is probably on it's way out. There's already an outcry in Virginia where hybrid and electric car owners are to be slapped with a $100 per year fee to make up for lost gas tax revenue.

I really, really cannot understand where this is coming from. Why on earth would anyone be so small-minded to only enforce road tolls on 905ers?

This isn't the first time I've heard it, and it won't be the last.

But if Toronto ever thinks of doing this, just watch even more businesses move to the 905.

Toronto just loves to shoot itself in the foot. Or cut off their nose to spite their face? Or some other stupid metaphor. But hey a stupid idea deserves a stupid metaphor.

I really, really cannot understand where this is coming from. Why on earth would anyone be so small-minded to only enforce road tolls on 905ers?
It's not that an understandable idea. There is a logic to it. If we are talking the DVP and Gardiner, then Toronto residents are already paying for it, and 905 residents use it and pay nothing.

But on the flip side, Toronto residents also pay for expressways in 905, because they are all provincial.

I'm not saying it's the best idea ... but I'm surprised you can't understand where it is coming from.

Its ridiculous ....

Actually toll roads only in the 416 are pretty ridiculous as well ... it should be regional and encompas the entire GTA. Otherwise you will definitely see more business leave the outer 416 ...

And in all honesty, traffic in parts of the 905 are worse then anything in Toronto !

And in all honesty, traffic in parts of the 905 are worse then anything in Toronto !
Far worse I'd say. Even the odd street downtown that's congested, it's only a couple of blocks to one that's moving if you know your way around. In 905, you've got far less through roads. And the length of the congestion can be very long.

Far worse I'd say. Even the odd street downtown that's congested, it's only a couple of blocks to one that's moving if you know your way around. In 905, you've got far less through roads. And the length of the congestion can be very long.

A lot of the arterial roads in the 905 (and outer 416) have limited access to the side-streets. If there is an collision blocking the arterial road, and one decides to use the side-street, they may end up going around in circles or find themselves in a dead-end street. Hence, the traffic congestion problems in the 905.

In the 416 at least the side-streets could allow one to bypass an obstruction. Also, some of the side-streets have been joined together (IE. Dundas Street in the downtown) to form newer arterial roads.

A year old, but a great speech if you haven't seen it.

[video=youtube;67PXgonA3K8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67PXgonA3K8[/video]

Honestly, I don't see the point in the City owning Green P. They aren't charging market rates. And that has the effect of subsidizing traffic. All while the rest of us are discussing how to end traffic.

Would rather see the City sell off Green P for a few billion and reduce its debt. The money saved on debt alone would probably be more than the 40 million that Green P provides. Alternatively, take the revenue from the sale and use it to leverage other funds and turbocharge transit expansion.

The situation as it stands is very inefficient.

And I also think this is more politically tenable than raising parking fees. Raising fees will create an outcry when it's a government owned service. Less so when it's a private entity.

Honestly, I don't see the point in the City owning Green P. They aren't charging market rates. And that has the effect of subsidizing traffic. All while the rest of us are discussing how to end traffic.

Would rather see the City sell off Green P for a few billion and reduce its debt. The money saved on debt alone would probably be more than the 40 million that Green P provides. Alternatively, take the revenue from the sale and use it to leverage other funds and turbocharge transit expansion.

And I also think this is more politically tenable than raising parking fees. Raising fees will create an outcry when it's a government owned service. Less so when it's a private entity.

Selling it as an interesting idea. They may be able to fetch enough to pay for the Gardiner repairs.

Although I'd prefer them to tender out an operations contract for it (with the operator being able to charge whatever they want), that way the entity is still in public hands.

Read up on Chicago and how they sold off their meters for a couple of Billion, and now drivers are paying $6.75/hour to park downtown if they can find a meter that's actually working. Selling off a cash cow like Green P for a one time debt reduction is just nuts.

Selling will only create a one-time cashflow. Look at what happened when the TTC sold its Grey Coach operation, it got a one-time cash but look at it now, begging.

Green P should at the very least increase its rates. But at the same time, the GTA or the province (not just Toronto) should put an end to free parking at shopping malls and offices.

Back