News   May 06, 2024
 512     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 692     1 

New Streetcars

I am not really sure how to interpret the most recent Star story. If they have no intention of removing the network, why would the Brothers Ford even look at cancelling the Bombardier contract? Clearly they are trying to back down on this one, and I guess it's a little much to expect these guys to be clear and coherent, but I would sleep a little better with an unequivocal 'streetcars aren't going anywhere and we are getting new ones' statement.

If Ford does nothing and just lets plans proceed as scheduled, by the time he's finished his second term (oh gawd...) most of Transit City will be in place and he'll be perceived as the most pro-transit Mayor in 30 years.

It took 3 years for Transit City to get this far in 2010. In four years, the Downtown Rapid Transit (in whatever form) Study, Plans, and Environmental Assessment could be in place and ready to go, if.... and its a big IF...

Just listened to the Ford interview on 640. Not clear whether he was talking about Bombardier deal for the legacy cars or the Transit City vehicles. Bah, what a mess.

Just listened to the Ford interview on 640. Not clear whether he was talking about Bombardier deal for the legacy cars or the Transit City vehicles. Bah, what a mess.

He doesn't know the difference between streetcars, light rail vehicles, light metro, or heavy metro. He doesn't take public transit if he has to.

I'm all for keeping the streetcars on the Right-Of-Way routes, but when mixed with car traffic their a big hinderance. I remember how easy driving in the city was when the TTC was on strike.

I remember how easy driving in the city was when the TTC was on strike.
The strike was on a weekend.

And given how much car usage goes up on a weekday strike (at least based on my time living in Montreal during their 6-week strikes), I'd be very surprised that any street was lighter in rush-hour!

I'm all for keeping the streetcars on the Right-Of-Way routes, but when mixed with car traffic their a big hinderance. I remember how easy driving in the city was when the TTC was on strike.

Good point. We should make all streetcar routes ROWs. No cars should be allowed in those lanes. Of course you'd have to make parking on those streets illegal since there'd only be one lane for cars. But it's fair.

I still can’t believe that some people still think it’s the streetcars that cause the traffic. On the weekends with way less CARS, the streetcars run beautifully. You can get anywhere downtown on the weekends in the mornings with no problem and that is because there are not that many cars on the street at that time of day.

Cars should just be banned from going on the street tracks (during the week or during rush hour at least) and this bylaw should be strictly enforced. There should be some sort of system that if a car goes on the track a photo can somehow be taken of the car license plate so the person can get a ticket. I don't want to hear well it's like radar and what if another person was driving the car. Well then, the car owner should be more careful whom they lend their car to. Of course I don't know how it would be possible to get a photo of license plate.

Good grief ... can't he make up his mind? Either he's going to try and trash the streetcars or he isn't going to trash the streetcars.

Though how someone can be so stupid to think that replacing the currently small overcrowded and bunching streetcars with even more smaller buses is going to get traffic flowing is beyond me. There will be more transit vehicles on the street, bunched even more, and the worse service will likely push many of the choice riders to drive instead making congestion even worse.

Good grief ... can't he make up his mind? Either he's going to try and trash the streetcars or he isn't going to trash the streetcars.

Though how someone can be so stupid to think that replacing the currently small overcrowded and bunching streetcars with even more smaller buses is going to get traffic flowing is beyond me. There will be more transit vehicles on the street, bunched even more, and the worse service will likely push many of the choice riders to drive instead making congestion even worse.
I really don't understand how you could fix the Queen car to be a viable choice for commuters.

Contrary to what some of you might believe, I don't drive (I have a licence, I just choose to take the TTC to the core unless I'm late for a meeting or going to the doctor's) and I live in Humber Bay Shores. Now, obviously my only one ride option is the 501, and God forbid if that thing could move any slower once it hits Queen St. In 10 mins from my house I reach Roncesvalles.. From there add 30-45 mins to reach Queen/University. Sometimes the streetcar just stops moving for 10 minutes and I get off and walk. Usually I beat it in that case.

I love the iconic streetcars, but at the same time I hate them.

Send an e-mail, snail mail, etc. to your newly elected/re-elected local Councilor, new Mayor, Premier of Ontario, etc. that you want to keep the streetcars in Toronto. The more correspondence the better.

Let them know you are concerned that public transit is being killed in favour of single-occupant cars and smaller capacity buses that will not be viable in the coming decades to come. Let them know that it is the single-occupant cars that cause traffic congestion, not streetcars. The cars in front of the streetcar who refuse to drive in the right lane or making illegal left turns are the main problem.

Back